Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question on Bently manual cam cover leaks.

Getting ready to fix a leaky cam cover. I have both the Bentley manual as well as 101 Boxster projects.

I have a tool kit on its way with both types of Cam holding fixtures as well as TDC pin.

In Wayne's book and in several other references, they always show locking the cams down after removing the rubber cam plugs so the cams cant move away from the head. Yet in the section in the Bentley manual, it never says anything about locking the cams down.

Section 15.1 thru 15.4 cover removal and it never once mentions locking the cams down.

I FULLY intend to hold them in place per Wayne's manual as shown on page 76

ALSO, the Bentley manual says to remove the exhaust and cats. Has anyone done this in the car ?? Any comments you can add for fixing valve cover leaks in-car ?? Do you need to pull the exhaust ?? I can see that leaky spark plug tubes are most of the problem, but the covers are adding to the nice smoky trail on the highway.

Alan...........
Old 07-10-2018, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I removed and replaced the cam covers with the engine in place in a 2000 S. It was necessary to remove both headers. When I did the job the airbox was not i the car (I was in the process of switching to the 987 airbox). I'm not sure that I would have been able to remove the left (driver's) side cam cover with the airbox in place.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: