Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New Lug Nut Key

I made the mistake of handing over the lug nut key to Costco when getting new tyres instead of taking them off myself. They went at it with an air ratchet and exploded the end. Fortunately they had one lug nut off so I was able to measure the notches and machine a new one. Six 3/16" x 1/2" dowel pins serve as the drive.
This style lug nut is apparently no longer available, besides four lug nuts and matching key would be needed since they came in several patterns and there is no marking on the key or lug nut to indicate which pattern.
In an emergency, a single pin is all that is needed to remove the lug nut.
Old 08-18-2018, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I have two sets available, with lug key if you’re interested in one. Set of 4 with lug key for $50 plus shipping or $60 shipped conti-USA.
Old 08-20-2018, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I hope they gave you your money back.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks, the new key works fine. I doubt Costco would give a refund on the tyres for breaking the key. I will ask them to repay the cost of the dowel pins. The 4130 was scrap from a friend. The measuring, drawing and machining was a lesson learned.
Old 08-21-2018, 09:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Good that you could machine a key. Costco should have given you some consideration, like free mounting and balancing. For most of us, this would be a major problem.

My 01 had Porsche made wheel locks and the key was MIA when I bought it. For Porsche locks, at least, the dealer had a kit of all different lock-keys and the parts guy went through nearly all of them before he found the correct one.
Old 08-28-2018, 07:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Call me crazy (and I know you didn’t ask), but why not just toss the sucker in the trash and replace the wheel bolt with a standard one. I have done that on every vehicle I have owned which came with these “security” features. Never had a wheel stolen, but I have had to change a flat tire in the side of the road in the dark.

Just a thought...
Old 08-29-2018, 03:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Because it is my mate's car and she wants to keep it original. Same reason for getting a German material top and German leather seat covers.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I actually work at Costco in VA and we only use a breaker bar on wheel locks for that exact reason. Unfortunate that this Costco decided to use an air gun. I am positive they will give you money back for new wheel locks if you ask them.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: