Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Repeat Oxygen Sensor Code

I need help. My 2003 Boxster S just threw a repeat fault code 16 - oxygen sensor ageing delay bank 1. The engine gave me this code so I researched and replaced all four O2 sensors with the Bosch units from this web site. (Why pay for the Porsche label when it's the same part). I cleared the code and it came back. I checked and cleaned connections, cleared the code, and it eventually came back.

My durametric tool gave the following information at idle:
O2 sensing Bank 1:
volts ahead: .1-.75
volts behind: .07-.12
Mean 1-0.99
O2 sensing Bank 2:
volts ahead: 0.93-0.99
volts behind: 0.7-0.75
Mean: 1.0

The engine has a complete Fabsport performance package installed by the previous owner which includes the Fabsport exhaust system and new cats (200 cell HJS Sport Catalytic Converters.) The engine also has a 74 mm throttle body/IPD Plenum and V-Flow air intake. It run GOOD. The car has 52K miles.

How do I verify all the O2 sensors are working correctly?
Could this be wiring?
Could this be vacuum?
Old 09-04-2018, 10:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Only suggestion I can offer is to look at the first couple of paragraphs here. They discuss how the O2 sensors work and are used as well as the values between which they should oscillate. If I read the values you posted and Brett's write-up correctly, the problem is with bank 2 and not bank 1 because the pre-cat sensor is not oscillating in a wide enough range (pre should be .2 to .8 and post should be much lower) showing the mix is thus rich.

I assume you used the same Bosch part numbers as came out of the car.

I'd swap both sensors from one bank to the other and see if the code and values follow.

If you look at the possible codes at the bottom of the write-up, a total sensor short or fail yield very specific codes and not an aging code which is saying the sensor is not reacting fast enough. So I'm not thinking wiring.

Sorry I can't help with specific experience.

Last edited by mikefocke; 09-04-2018 at 05:50 PM..
Old 09-04-2018, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Thanks. I will give that a try. Yes I got the correct Bosch sensors (at least the one sold by Pelican.) I even made sure to ask which Bosch part number went where.
Norm
Old 09-07-2018, 10:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

So, I have swapped out my sensors side for side. The CEL has returned with the same Bank 1 O2 senor ageing code. Does anyone have further suggestions to check? The exhaust is fairly new and does not have many miles on it. Could this be wiring or?
Thanks.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Try a few tanks of ethanol free fuel. I've popped a CEL in colder weather (spring / fall) and usually run ethanol-free fuel and it clears it up. Always run Tier 1 fuels as well.
Remember Warren Hall. Contact me for your Warren 'Early S Man' Hall memorial decals.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Is the exhaust stock? Are the sensors in their original place?
Old 10-11-2018, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

This addresses both posts. I will give the ethanol free gas a try. I always run Tier 1 fuel in the Boxster (actually all my cars except the old VW cabro). I just need to find tier 1 ethanol free fuel in my area.

The exhaust is the popular and expensive Fabsport. The probes are in the stock locations. The probes are new, the exhaust has very low mileage.
Old 10-25-2018, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Has the exhaust ever passed smog tests? Could the reason it was sold be that it couldn't?

What were the exact part numbers you had in the car and what were the ones for the ones you swapped in?

Were the sensors you bought complete with pigtails? Were the wires crimped and not soldered to the sensor? (should not be soldered)

Aging means slow reacting, not short or incomplete circuit. Those conditions (short/incomplete) give off very different and specific OBD2 codes.

One of the sensors nearest the engine (pre-cat) sensors seem to be oscillating correctly across a wide range and one not (never going low enough) and both rear (post-cat) sensors seem to be showing lower numbers which should mean that the cats are still working.

I'm still troubled by the sensor that Durametric says didn't seem to vary much. The ECU should be varying the mixture so the sensor changes between .2 and .8 every second. And when that voltage changes it should only take 200-300 msec. If longer, it is aging.

Were the readings taken at idle? Did you repeat the readings after the second sensor swap? What were the readings after you swapped the sensors from side to side?
Old 10-26-2018, 05:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
This problem may be unavoidable due to the 200 cell converters, might want to contact Fabsport
Old 10-27-2018, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: