Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

air intake/vacuum line routing

Ok...I'll try this again. Does anyone know if the two Y-connectors connect directly to one another or not?

According to this image, there seems to be two possible connection patters for the vacuum routing. One utilizes a single Y connector, another a second Y connector. My 2001 s boxster seems to use two Y connectors, as I ended up with one in my hand, and not a clue how to reconnect it after i kept breaking the lines.

I've got two illustrations, one the routing diagram, and one the routing illustration. The two Y connector set-up is what I am confused about. It seems to me that in the 2-Y connector setup , the #2 prong (of the Y connector) as I've labeled it goes to the change over valve, the #1 to the vacuum reservoir, #3 to the check valve, # 4 to a non return valve (I've deduced where #4 goes based on the routing diagram/flowchart (not the illustration).

Note the red arrows I've photoshopped on the routing diagram point to where I would guess the Y connectors are.

Is this correct? Do the Y connectors connect directly to one another? Help.
Old 03-20-2011, 10:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
If I remember right there is another check valve and the check valve which plugs directly into the intake tube(the rubber connector) to the right of the throttlebody near the bottom.

Last edited by harryrcb; 03-20-2011 at 04:24 PM..
Old 03-20-2011, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

My engine had the same confusing Y-connectors, but one of the ends of the connector was plugged. This was on a Porsche factory crate motor, so I know it's correct. Here's a diagram of what I had for my car:

Quote:
Figuring out where to plug in all of the little plastic vacuum hoses took quite a long time for me, so I decided to create this vacuum plug chart to assist during the reassembly process. Follow the diagram here when replumbing your engine. Fuel rail Intake rubber sleeve with vacuum port (installed on right side of throttle body) Fuel pressure regulator on fuel rail Air injection pump valve Electronic vacuum solenoid valve for air injection pump valve Vacuum reservoir 4-way vacuum tee Vacuum check valve (black side points towards the manifold) 3-way vacuum tee (one side is plugged) Electronic vacuum solenoid valve for resonance flap valve Resonance flap valve Intake rubber sleeve with vacuum port (installed on left side of throttle body)
-Wayne
Old 03-20-2011, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

I just realized that my captions are missing from the tech article! Here they are:

Quote:
A- Fuel rail
B- Intake rubber sleeve with vacuum port (installed on the right side of throttle body)
C- Fuel pressure regulator on fuel rail
D- Air injection pump valve
E- Electronic vacuum solenoid valve for air injection pump valve
F- Vacuum reservoir
G- Four-way vacuum tee
H- Vacuum check valve (black side points toward the manifold)
I- Three-way vacuum tee (one side is plugged)
J- Electronic vacuum solenoid valve for resonance flap valve
K- Resonance flap valve
L- Intake rubber sleeve with vacuum port (installed on left side of throttle body)
-Wayne
Old 03-20-2011, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
that's interesting Wayne, mine was definately routed different, but it works. hmmmm ooops, Never mind I just didn't look close enough . that's it for sure
Old 03-21-2011, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thank you so much for your responses! That's great!
Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
im having trouble connecting my hoses, i have an extra elbow not pictured in the diagram and i don't have the y connector with the plugged side, please help,
it is a 98 Boxster 2.5
Old 05-22-2013, 11:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
need help, mine doesn't not include the y with the closed tube, i also have an extra elbow, please help, it is a 98 Boxster 2.5 as you see in the picture the red lined tube is the one not in diagram, the blue and green circles i dont know where they go, neither the purple, now the yellow line leads to the back and that too i dont know where it goes

photo IMAG0023_zps3c27d06c.jpg

Last edited by NivaldoVeliz; 05-22-2013 at 12:49 PM..
Old 05-22-2013, 11:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Nivaldo, your car is equipped with a Tiptronic transmission and the vacuum switching valve you're identifying opens the coolant supply line to the transmission cooler. The tube in your hand connects from the purple circle to the blue circle (technically from the vacuum reservoir). The yellow tube connects to the green circle (which leads to a thing Porsche calls the 'flat-base valve on the transmission'). Repair literature cautions that transmission cooling will be inadequate if you don't get things hooked up properly.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Is this the proper 'flat base' / switchover valve on the tiptronic trans to route that yellow vacuum hose to?

Mine has dried out...what tube diameter I should buy?

Last edited by tightbox; 04-07-2014 at 01:06 PM..
Old 04-07-2014, 01:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Boy was this fun. This thread was a life saver. I was being driven to the nut house with codes p1128 and p1130. Looked for all kinds of things wrong. I found my AOS needed to be changed when cleaning the Throttle Body. While in there I thought I had cracks in the intake plenum sleeves, while changing those I found that when taking the one on the rear of the engine off there was an open hole. I had hoses plugged in where they shouldn't be, hoses not plugged in at all. A real mess. After looking at this and making some notes, and new hoses, sleeves and AOS I had some fun with it all. Codes gone and new code comes up, that code went away and p0410 p1411 code came up. I read that I should have disconnected the battery for a while (after replacing MAF) and all code went away except now I have 'error Bordcompter' displayed where I used to see the mileage left and outside temp displayed. I'm going to drive it a few start/stop cycles and see if it comes back. Hopefully I didn't bugger up the computer. BTW, car was turned off when disconnecting the computer.
In the hunt for next one (Cayman or 911)
Old 04-11-2014, 04:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Schnell Gelb

Garage
Here is a link to a helpful video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A731OcZVGTI
Old 09-18-2016, 01:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: