Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Boxster & Cayman Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question How do I diagnose noise coming from front end?

I was going to post a recording of the sound, but the website wouldn't let me.

Anyways, when I'm driving I get a subtle "whhh-whhhaaa-whhh-whhh-whhh-whhaaa-whhh-whhh-whhh-whaaa" sound. It seems to have gotten louder over time, and now that I've gotten most of the other mechanical problems under control, I'm ready to tackle this one.

I'm going to lift it up sunday, and try to find the problem. I've heard if I rock the tires holding at the 6-12 and it moves it's the wheel bearings, and rocking at the 9-3 is the tie rods. Is this correct?

I know when my rear wheel bearings went out, I only got a noise on turns. On the front noise I only hear it going straight.
Old 06-22-2012, 02:53 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vic986s View Post
Anyways, when I'm driving I get a subtle "whhh-whhhaaa-whhh-whhh-whhh-whhaaa-whhh-whhh-whhh-whaaa" sound.
I'm going to lift it up sunday, and try to find the problem. I've heard if I rock the tires holding at the 6-12 and it moves it's the wheel bearings, and rocking at the 9-3 is the tie rods. Is this correct?
On the front noise I only hear it going straight.
Basically you are correct but I doubt that you will be able to feel anything. It's hard to determine what sound that is (your description) but there are many other parts on your front end that can make noise. brake rotors, tires, bent wheels, etc. try getting us a sound bit
Old 06-23-2012, 08:01 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The website won't let me post a link to youtube right now, but if you go to the website and search for "video 0004 porsche boxster front end noise" it should come up as one of the first listings. You can hear the described noise starting around 24 seconds. I want to say I was doing about 35-40mph at that point.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:24 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Video 0004 - YouTube
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Tags
front , noise

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: