Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > European Car Forums > MINI Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
R53 in Limp Mode

I have a 2006 MCS Hatchback that I can't get out of Limp Mode. I've replaced, fuel filter (O-ring) several times, Fuel Pump, Throttle Body, Bypass Valve, Coil Pack (MSD), Spark Plugs, Plug wires, and gas cap. It acts like it's not getting any fuel. That's the original reason why I replaced the fuel filter because the O-Ring was broken when we removed the cap off the canister. I have a Fuel Tank Breather Valve on the way. I reset the ECU using a Snap-On OBD-II code reader. Cleared all the codes. It actually got worse after replacing the BPV.

Does anyone have any clues or ideas that I can look at before I have to take it into a very expensive service center?
Old 07-02-2018, 09:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Hello fellow Mini driver. I have a question about how you drive your car. Are you aggressive on the gas peddle, heavy footed ... a lot?! Be honest ... I may know what is happening to get you into LIMP mode.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I will just explain what happened to me a few years ago. My mini from 20K miles has lived its life like a race car. I am very heavy footed in my well maintained R53 space blue hardtop coupe. If it can be broken , if there is something weakly enginered on a mini I will find it... or it will find me in time.

About 2 years ago my mini had approx. 90K miles on it. From time to time it would go into limp mode. A few time on the highway in route to work.

What I could reset to normal mode by turning off ignition while driving, turn the car back on and system would reset back to normal most times. Sometimes it would reset only few mins and re-fault to limp mode again.

This is what I found out. The mini eye 53 is a drive by wire car meaning that the computer controls the connection to the throttlebody. You step on the gas pedal, resistor value changes based on where your foot is on the throttle the computer sends the signal to the throttlebody telling that to how far to open. The Computer Sends a signal to solenoid , connected vis a small plastic gear ....teeth were broken on gear ... in throttle body . Whenever there was a difference between the Signal sent and what the car did or did not do the car would go into limp mode trying to protect itself.

You canít get the parts to rebuild, just replace Throttle body assembly . Problem will be solved!!!!!!
Old 07-17-2018, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: