Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > European Car Forums > MINI Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

12 miniS 6 speed axel broke inside.

Hello, I've run into an issue and found this form to hopefully get some help. I'm working on a 2012 mini cooper s with a manual 6 speed and the passenger axle snapped off inside the transmission. I have no clue how it happened, but it did. It is flush with the inside and there is nothing to grab onto to pull it out.

Before I start taking more things off that I may not need to. I'm wondering if I take the driver side axle off, will it give me access to the passenger axle to punch it out?

If not I need ideas on how to pull this out.
Option 2 is drill and tap the axle stub to put a bolt in and pull it out. Also catching all the shavings with a rag.
Option 3 is weld a bolt to it and pull it out and try not to catch anything on fire.
Any other ideas?
Old 07-21-2018, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have a 2009 R56 with 6sp manual. I recently pulled the trans to change the clutch. with the axles out, you can see through. There is a pin in the center, just like any other 3rd member for the spiders. But with a long, tapered drift, you should be able to contact the broken axle stub from the other side. Just be SUPER careful of the Axle Seals. They are very difficult to remove and @ $50 a pop, you dont want to screw them up. I would recommend a brass drift so that you dont damage any internal faces of the Transaxle. I would try to pop the stub out without a hammer if you can. Try to push it out and if you cannot, just use a mallet and not a hard faced hammer to drive the drift through, being cautions not to wedge the drift in the 3rd member.
Im pretty confident it can be done.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: