Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > European Car Forums > MINI Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Post 2010 Mini Cooper S Convertible Cranks but won't start

Hello Pelican Parts Forum,

I would like some help with a starting issue I'm having with my r57 Cooper S. Here's what happened:

I am a victim of Hurricane Dorian here in The Bahamas and sadly, my Mini has suffered some water damage as a result of the storm. During the storm, my car became exposed to the rain water after the convertible top and windows opened on its own.

After the storm, there was about 6"to 7" of water sitting above the carpet and another 3" to 4" under the carpet. The car started four (4) days after the storm and then again 2.5 weeks after the storm when I returned back to the island of Abaco. I was able to drive the car to my new living address, strip out the interior (removing the chairs, the interior trim & carpet) to allow the water to dry then put the interior parts back together. I had also disconnected the electrical connectors at the bottom of the fuse box and took out the Control Module Unit during the drying process.

After the car was dried, I sprayed electrical cleaners on all of the electrical connectors then a little W-D40. I allowed the lubricant to dry for at least 3 more days after the car was dried before putting all of the interior back together.

After assembling the interior of the car and all that was taken out, the car did not start. I then checked the ignition coils, sparks plugs, fuel filter, timing chain and everything seems to be in order thus far but the car won't start.

Can someone help me with this as I am racking my brain and the internet trying to figure out whats wrong and how to rectify this issue. I'm getting some results in terms of what maybe wrong but none of the solutions, thus far, seems to work.

Help?

Thanks.
Old 10-08-2019, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Garage
Hello - did you double check all the connections? Are you able to pull any codes from the ecu? When you say it won't start - are you getting spark, anything?
Old 10-08-2019, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Dmitry,

I havenít located a scanner on the island as yet so Iím unable to get codes from the ECU. However, I have double checked all of my connections and I am getting spark from the plugs and ignition coils.
Old 10-08-2019, 05:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Have you drained the tank? Pull the pump under the backseat and see if there’s water in it. I’m betting you have a tank full of water, if the coils are firing and the fuel pump is running that would be a good place to start
Old 10-26-2019, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
So I've did a test on the starter relay and I jumped the connections 3 to 5 to close the circuit (with a paper clip) and the car started right away. I've placed another relay into that spot (a used one that was tested and confirmed to be working) but the car did not start. I'm now beginning to believe it's more than just the starter relay.

Help, anyone?
Old 11-02-2019, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Just to clarify, you can insert the key and use the push button but the car doesn’t crank. By jumping across the terminals of the starter relay you are able to start the car and it stays running?
Old 11-02-2019, 10:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I would lean towards a neutral safety switch. If this is an automatic it should be out on the transmission, it could also be in the interlock switch. The neutral safety switch will leave the starter circuit in open loop unless the car is in park or neutral.
Old 11-02-2019, 10:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Hi Rush2252,

Thank you for your response. My Mini is a 6-speed manual. And yes, to clarify, when I insert the key and use the push button that car cranks but doesn't start. When I jump across the terminals of the starter relay the car starts and stays running once the jump remains on the relay.
Old 11-19-2019, 11:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

This sounds like a bad neutral safety switch. Check the switch on the clutch pedal, it’s the only safety on a manual to prevent the starter relay from completing the start circuit. I bet you will find a bad switch under the clutch pedal which is why you are having to jump the relay in order to get it to start.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: