Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > European Car Forums > MINI Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Replaced radiator fan resistor now fan only runs on high and no a/c

hi i had a problem with my fans only running on high for 5 second intervals and turning off then back on for 5 seconds and back off. so i replaced the radiator fan resistor. it fixed the problem and i had low speed fan and high along with a/c. it worked for a couple days and i had ice cold a/c. this morning i start it and within seconds the fan comes on high speed and won't turn off. i am pretty sure the resistor is still good because i tested it by running power straight from the battery and i can get both low and high speeds. also my a/c compressor will not turn on now since this has happened. also tonight i was driving a couple times the fan worked like it should by starting on low speed and going to high. so the resistor seems like its doing what its supposed to. i wanted to know could a faulty or sticking coolant temperature sensor could cause these new symptoms?? with everything i have read the temperature coolant sensor is tied into both the a/c and cooling fans. so if the sensor is telling the computer the cars running hot even though its not it will keep the fans running on high and the a/c won't work. any help would be greatly appreciated. this is driving me nuts trying to fix
Old 10-25-2019, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

When you say you replaced the resistor did you desolder and replace it? When you jump from the battery you have both high and low speed? I would try the temp sensor. You could also have a bad coil on the AC compressor. On my 05 when it went out the fan would not run with the AC button on, the circuit was open.
Old 10-26-2019, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: