Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > European Car Forums > MINI Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Fault Code 2C57

Hi all,

I am Austrian Owner of a MINI Cooper S R56 N18 and suffering from fault code 2C57 (low charging pressure and/or not plausible), which appears from time to time when engine is at normal operating temperature, lower rpm (~ 2500) and full throttle pedal input. The behaviour is quite normal and on the next engine start-up (cold start) the fault light disappears ...
The electr. valve fitted on the Turbo charger has already been replaced, without any improvement ...

Any ideas, on what I should be focussed next?

Thank you in advance,

Patrick
Old 09-05-2016, 06:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Hello Patrick - with this fault code there are no other symptoms that the vehicle is showing?

The item you replaced already was the pressure converter? #2 below, part number 11657599547 here? I have seen individuals report this code and the issue fixed with the replacement of this item for BMW's. Or was it your diverter valve? I have seen this code associated with MINI's resulting in a torn diaphragm in the diverter valve. Did you test the wastegate? I've seen BMW's with this fault and it resulted in a failed wastegate. The wastegate is the bottom item on the turbo on the image below. Unfortunately, I don't believe you can get the wastegate alone and have to get the whole turbo so it definitely is worth troubleshooting to see if it may be your cause. Let me know what you find out.

Old 09-05-2016, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Hello Luccia,

First of all, thanks for your very quick response.

Concerning your question about other symptoms, it might be possible that my MINI generally lost a bit of power of the time of ownership (approximate 6 years / 144000 km / 90000 miles), in daily operation hardly noticeable.
There is definitely no other symptom evident when the fault code is triggered.

I will check my records at home and will come back with the partnumber of the replaced part.

Will keep you informed what I will find out.

Patrick
Old 09-05-2016, 11:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Sounds great, Patrick. I'll await your response with the part that was replaced and see if I can assist you further.
Old 09-06-2016, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hello Luccia,

The following parts have been replaced by the mechanics:

1. Pressure Converter P/N 11657599547
2. Vacuum Pipe P/N 11657593718
3. Electr. Valve (is this the Diverter valve, as mentioned?) P/N 11658636606

That means, all parts (you recommended to be focussed on) have already been replaced.
I just found out that the P/N of the Valve which has been installed is not listed for my Cooper S N18.
According RealOEM.com the P/N mentioned above is valid for MINI Cooper S N14 and for JCW N14 as alternate P/N to P/N 11657593273.
Further P/N 11658636606 is used for JCW N18 engine without any alternate and P/N 11657593273 is used for Cooper S N18 without any alternate P/N.

It seems that they installed a JCW Electr. Valve in my Cooper S and I do not know, if this deviation from the part catalogue can cause that this fault re-occurred again.

Patrick
Old 09-07-2016, 12:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Administrator

Alright so you had replaced #2 and #3 from the diagram above and #2 on the diagram below, which is in deed the diverter valve I mentioned. BMW upgraded the design of the DV, which is the listed part number - 11658636606, and has removed the old rubber diaphragm that was known to fail. From my understanding the new design of this DV is much better than its previous predecessor as the holes in the piston assembly actually allow the pressure to build on the back side of the valve seal. This essentially allows it to expand and seal better than with an o-ring. I believe it should fit your MCS.

My concern now is that you possibly have a wastegate issue, since you replaced all other viable options. Thankfully we have a pretty helpful wastegate testing tech article that might be helpful to you. Check it out here: Pelican Technical Article - Mini R56 - Engine Turbocharger Wastegate Testing. Let me know what you find out.

Last edited by Luccia at Pelican Parts; 09-07-2016 at 10:29 AM..
Old 09-07-2016, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Hi Patrick

Just to follow up on the above? Is your problem solve? I have the same error code too for my MCS R56 LCI. Try changing the pressure converter but problem still persist.

Guess I need to try my luck by changing the vacumm hose and electric valve.
Old 10-16-2017, 03:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Administrator

I would definitely try the diverter valve first. If you've done all that the original poster has above, then I would suggest testing your wastegate (read my post above).
Old 10-16-2017, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luccia at Pelican Parts View Post
I would definitely try the diverter valve first. If you've done all that the original poster has above, then I would suggest testing your wastegate (read my post above).
Hi Luccia

Good morning. Thanks for your prompt respond. I will try to change item 2 and update you accordingly. Thanks.

Regards
Maverick
Old 10-16-2017, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hi Luccia

Thanks for your respond. Will proceed with item 2 and keep you posted on the progress. Thanks.

Regards
Maverick
Old 10-17-2017, 01:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hi All

Good morning. Fault code 2C57 for my MCS R56 LCI is due to faulty valve cover. For those who have changed pressure converter, vacumm pipe and electric valve but problem still persist, i would recon to check your valve cover.

Problem detected using evap machine.

Thanks.
Old 10-17-2017, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Hi all,

Sorry for my late response and missing update on that issue. In the mean time the chain has been worn out and required replacement including VANOS units, rails and all that stuff ...
So I was focussed on that new challenge, which has successfully been replaced. The boost pressure fault was triggered occasionally and not really a problem in daily operation. After each restart of the engine the fault disappeared.
Last weekend I removed the downpipe and found the wastegate of the installed old turbocharger heavily worn out. The backlash of the wastegate flapper to the bellcrank, the backlash of the bellcrank to the pushpull rod of the vacuum actuator was found terrifying. Based on these findings I am wondering that any boost pressure could be build-up.
Luckily I expected an wastegate issue and was prepared with an brand new Borg Warner turbocharger as spare part and all that parts required for replacement.
Finally, the boost pressure issue was solved with this replacement and the oil external leak as well - the Oil Pressure Line to the turbocharger could be identified as leaking part.
Thanks to Luccia! You gave me the hint to expect an wastegate issue.

Best regards from Austria,

Patrick
Old 06-04-2018, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Administrator

Wonderful news, Patrick. So glad I could help you nail down the culprit of your issue. Thanks so much for reporting back with your resolution as it will definitely help others in the future.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: