Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > 3- European Cars > MINI Discussion Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

2009 mini engine help

2009 mini non turbo. I had all the symptoms of intake valve cleaning requirement, spent the last hour preparing for a walnut blasting, to my surprise when I peeked into the intake, valves were extremely clean?? I had performed a sea foam treatment approximately 200-300 miles previously, which made the car symptoms go away, so naturally when the rough running and power issues returned I figured itís now time for the deep clean. Any ideas? I have been chasing down all kinds of codes, over the past year, I replaced all the coil packs, replaced both cam solenoids all based on codes that were being thrown. No codes at the moment, last symptom was low end power issues, which is why Iím thinking it could be the solenoids again? I elected to replace with gates I believe not oem cam solenoids. Any hope for the mini! Tired of chasing down issues, might be a seller. 120k miles.
Old 05-25-2018, 04:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Have you tested your HPFP? Check out figure 9 in our article here: https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/MINI_R56/131-FUEL-Fuel_Pump_Testing/131-FUEL-Fuel_Pump_Testing.htm.
Old 05-28-2018, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Correct me if I'm wrong but the non turbo minis (mine a 2009) doesn't have the HPFP under the hood. Just a fuel pump under the rear seats.

New symptom, the car stalled after a short drive (less than 3 mins of run time). As I a was approaching a stop sign, stop, and car dies. Has trouble starting, but if you hold the gas pedal down it will run at higher rpms. Then problem disappeared, but now no one wants to drive the mini because of it's irratic behaviors.

It also has been having odd idle (low), not a stumble, but just not sounding quite 100% at start up (typically the AM).

These all sound sounds like HPFP, issues when they start to go out, but if I'm correct in NON-Turbo models not having a HPFP, do these type if symptoms sound right for a normal fuel pump going out on a non turbo model?

Car 2009 with 130K miles, as far as I know the fuel pump has never been replaced.

Any feedback would be very helpful. Given the normal fuel pump is not as expensive as the HPFP, I might just replace to see if I get lucky.
Old 06-06-2018, 07:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Ah! Yes, sorry I overlooked that you stated it was a Justa. So, that rules out the HPFP. Also, you will not have the carbon build up that the N14 engines are plagued with so that is why your valves were so clean.

That article above goes over testing just the fuel pump, that your R56 Justa has, so take a look at it and see if you can determine yours is faulty. Also, when is the last time you did a normal tune up? Plugs, fuel filter, etc?
Old 06-11-2018, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: