Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

They’re back!!!! Freaking wild hogs

Not the movie..I’m talking feral pigs. Been battling them for the past year or so. I have killed 7 so far. The last batch was two months ago and I thought they were gone for a while but they are back. When I was cutting grass today I saw the rooting around my blueberry bushes..these f@#$&rs can do a lot of damage in a short amount of time. So, I will head out around 11:30 pm tonight and sit by the pond and wait. The last time I went, I took three out; two on the run at 50-75 yards. I used to use my deer rifle but now I use the Daniel Defense 5.56 because I can ring a lot of shots off quickly and very accurately. I can dial down the illumination on the EoTech site and use a green spotlight to illuminate them.
The good news is, we love the meat. Last weekend I used the sous vide and made bbq and Cuban pork...The Cuban pork turned out phenenomal with fresh chimichurri.
Old 09-09-2018, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Hogs out of confinement can do a lot of damage.
They are good eati’n though.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yuengling. Good beer.

Non Cedo Ferio
Old 09-09-2018, 06:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

There are hundreds of them around my place in central Texas. Show up all the time on my game camera. I fenced off the area around the buildings with "hog" wire to keep them off the lawn. The lawn would look like someone took a roto-tiller to it every time they visited. I shot this one at dusk and went to check it out the next morning. The coyotes had already eviscerated it during the night. Although there is no season for shooting them in Texas, I have been told that you should have a hunting license if you plan to eat it or even take the tail or an ear for a trophy. If you treat it like a varmint and just exterminate it without touching it after, you don't need one. The vultures and coyotes make short work of them.
Old 09-09-2018, 06:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

We have a few areas around here with them - supposedly. One are is about a mile from my house. We go hiking on a dirt road in that area occasionally and have never seem any or signs of them, although we did run into two guys once who asked if we'd seem any. In reading about them, the supposedly can be a danger in terms of some diseases, but who knows. I think some guys around here wouldn't mind shooting some.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

They’re all over the woods here in Japan too. Unfortunately gun ownership is restrictive. Some of the farmers trap and kill them. They give us the meat sometimes. I made a good pulled pork in the slow cooker. But if I’m short on freezer space I steam it and feed it to my golden retrievers.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Kill as many as you can. They propagate like crazy. Beware of blue fat, if you're considering eating them. That means they've eaten poison. Of course, it doesn't bother them, but it's not so good for humans.
Old 09-09-2018, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
I like that you don't let them go to waste, that's great. That's really good meat.

Trapping them is the most effective way to control them. People build whole corral type traps where the entire group will get locked in with one way entries. Of course only set when you can check daily, but having a large trap like that live with bait will take care of your problem much better than shooting them. They are pretty wise and will just move on to come back later if they get any hunting pressure.

G
Old 09-09-2018, 09:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
shh-the robot is sleeping

Too bad that shipping to PA would be expensive. If you were willing to, I am trying to find some meet like this for smoking. Stuff from the stores and local farms is just not the same.

Grew up on Yuengling! Have it to thank for some fun nights with girls in high school.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

So how effective is 5.56 on the hogs? Are you getting one round stops or are you needin a second round on them?
Old 09-10-2018, 05:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

.308=drop them in their tracks no matter where you hit them. 5.56= deadly but shot placement is critical for drop in place. Most of the one I have taken have been under 75#’s but I did take a sow that was over 200# with the 5.56.

Sat out for two hours last night and didn’t see anything but I will give it another go tonight.

Here is the damage they can do in one night...in a short amount of time
Old 09-10-2018, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

My nephew keeps his 270 at the property so that is what is handy. Never had a problem dropping a hog with it.
Only shot this one with the game camera.

Old 09-10-2018, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

They're bad, but the movie is worse.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
So, I hear there is a gland you need to take care of when field dressing. Any words of wisdom for field dressing one?

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 09-10-2018, 08:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Amaranto View Post
There are hundreds of them around my place in central Texas. Show up all the time on my game camera. I fenced off the area around the buildings with "hog" wire to keep them off the lawn. The lawn would look like someone took a roto-tiller to it every time they visited. I shot this one at dusk and went to check it out the next morning. The coyotes had already eviscerated it during the night. Although there is no season for shooting them in Texas, I have been told that you should have a hunting license if you plan to eat it or even take the tail or an ear for a trophy. If you treat it like a varmint and just exterminate it without touching it after, you don't need one. The vultures and coyotes make short work of them.

Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms.

I heard that once.

Last edited by sammyg2; 09-11-2018 at 05:46 AM..
Old 09-10-2018, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipper35 View Post
So, I hear there is a gland you need to take care of when field dressing. Any words of wisdom for field dressing one?
No gland that I know of and they are delicious. That said, from harvest to field dressed and iced down is less than an hour. There are no better ribs than wild hog and the porterhouse is unbelievable!!! The meat, compared to store purchased pork is like comparing store bought chicken to pheasant...similar flavor but more depth with the wild version.
Saving my property from the damage is priceless.
Old 09-10-2018, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Looks like a lot of fun!

There are videos on YouTube of people blowing up hogs on mass.

Scattered pork!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blowing+up+hogs
Old 09-10-2018, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post
Looks like a lot of fun!

There are videos on YouTube of people blowing up hogs on mass.

Scattered pork!

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=blowing+up+hogs
I guess when you guys ban guns, you have other ways to entertain yourselves?

Non Cedo Ferio
Old 09-10-2018, 06:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Run smooth, run fast

So that's what people are talking about when they say, "When pigs fly."
Old 09-10-2018, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ_porschekid View Post
I guess when you guys ban guns, you have other ways to entertain yourselves?
We have lots of feral pigs here and they can get really big so farmers often take them out on mass using explosives.
---
Not all guns are banned... Basically>>>

1. You have to have a valid reason to own a gun. IE: Competition shooting, hunting & must be a member of a shooting club. (Farmers are exempt)
2. You can only own a double barreled shot gun or single shot bolt action rifle (no magazine). Pump action, lever action or semi auto = banned!
3. Pistols are heavily restricted plus all the number 1. stuff applies.

We can't carry in any state regardless of risk but body guards can get a security guards license so they can carry but it's difficult to say the least.
(no criminal record, long drawn out application process etc)

And all of this is at the discretion of the state police commissioner! If he doesn't like the shape of your head? No gun for you...
Old 09-11-2018, 12:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: