Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
Interesting telemarking(?) call

I had an strange message on my machine yesterday. The voice was female, but the accent was "off" so I don't know if it was computer-generated or they just talked weird. Anyway, they said it was an important matter, and I needed to call them back right away, but - and here's the interesting bit - they said that Federal regulations prohibited leaving the reason for the call on an answering machine.
Various VWs
Old 09-12-2018, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Debt collector.
Old 09-12-2018, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Phishing expedition

Francis Bacon
Old 09-12-2018, 03:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
"Federal regulations." Yeah, it's called the Do Not Call Registry.
Old 09-12-2018, 03:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Maybe you won the Nigerian Lottery
Old 09-12-2018, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have been having a blast with telemarketers. I now try to sell them a exclusive , one year membership to the international association of trailer parks, trailer park supervisors, and assistant weekend trailer park supervisors.
I have an entire sales pitch , that I have rehearsed , and I only let them get one word out at a time, before I interrupt them, and keep pounding them with my pitch.
Its been great fun. I look forward to answering those out of state numbers now .
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 09-12-2018, 06:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If it's THAT important they'll call back.

Second thoughts, I think Mike is right, you may have won the Nigerian lottery.

Old 09-12-2018, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The way you describe the caller, it sounds very similar to the new Google assistant. Neat technology and really sounds like a real caller, just a bit off.
Old 09-12-2018, 07:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
I'm almost interested in calling fastfred, just to hear his schpiel.
Old 09-12-2018, 08:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Not sure but once read somewhere 800 numbers can actually be pay-by-minute if you call back.

This day and age anything is possible..
Old 09-12-2018, 08:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Wildman Emeritus

Annoying at best! I have been getting the "IRS has case against you"(sic) and "Is this Robin" calls lately. Have decided to turn the tables and ask what are they wearing, are their nipples hard and are they touching themselves questions. My assumption is that it will either end the calls or I will get thrown to the wolves when they spread my number to everyone.
2009 Suby Forester Wife's
2000 Boxter - Sold
Old 09-13-2018, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
Quote:
Originally Posted by john70t View Post
Not sure but once read somewhere 800 numbers can actually be pay-by-minute if you call back.
Years ago, when I carried a pager for work, I got a call from an area code I didn't recognize, but since we had customers in multiple state, I didn't hesitate to call back. On the other end, the background noise sounded like the guy was in a bar; I couldn't understand him, and it sounded like he just put the phone down and walked away. After a minute or so, I hung up. I immediately called my phone provider and told them what happened. Turned out the area code was somewhere in the Caribbean, and I was being charged quite handsomely for the call. They cancelled the charges, but it seems stupid for this sort of thing to even be possible.
Various VWs
Old 09-13-2018, 06:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: