Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Bollweevil

North Texas Fake Fair Catch - how they pulled if off.

A rather interesting story on how they pulled off the 90 yard touchdown on a fake fair catch. A lot more complicated than it appears when you get into the details... and your punt returner needs to be one brave soul to buy into this, i.e. he needs big ones :

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/north-texas-explains-amazingly-elaborate-fake-fair-catch-trick/ar-BBNoRna?li=BBnba9I
Old 09-17-2018, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Best play of the weekend...
Old 09-17-2018, 02:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
Pretty amazing.

Likely won't be seeing another any time soon.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
That's why players are coached to play until they hear the whistle. Extremely well executed play. One that came close to being as good but got called back for a forward lateral was the TCU player laying in the end zone, getting up and having the person who caught the ball lateral to them.
Old 09-17-2018, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

So you have to put your arm in the air? What about waving them horizontally before the catch?
Old 09-17-2018, 04:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabmando View Post
That's why players are coached to play until they hear the whistle. Extremely well executed play. One that came close to being as good but got called back for a forward lateral was the TCU player laying in the end zone, getting up and having the person who caught the ball lateral to them.
I was hoping it would work after I realized why the player was laying down.
Old 09-17-2018, 04:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
Cool trick, but I think you only get to use that once. It seems like the trick you keep up your sleeve for a close game.
Various VWs
Old 09-18-2018, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Neat trick, but I feel like it's abusing a rule intended to enhance play safety.

The next punt receiver to get knocked on his butt after making a very late fair catch signal is going to have to thank this guy.

The signal isn't always telegraphed in a clean or clear manner.

One area the players should not be inviting contest on in my opinion.

https://giphy.com/gifs/catch-SJF2CjHCsXvtm

https://giphy.com/gifs/gym-jones-10LNNI0cSZOM36

Penn State player appears to call for a fair catch, Pat Fitzgerald gets angry
https://www.insidenu.com/2015/11/7/9688064/northwestern-penn-state-pat-fitzgerald-fair-catch

Quote:
In the first quarter of Northwestern's game against Penn State, Nittany Lion return man DeAndre Thompkins appeared to raise his right hand to call for a fair catch on a punt. When he caught the ball, he took off and ran up the Northwestern sideline for a modest return.

But Northwestern head coach Pat Fitzgerald took exception to the non-call.
No more fair catch calls, see more of stuff like this.

https://giphy.com/gifs/arizona-cardinals-Jai27XjcUqUnu

Entertaining sure, but this should not be a blood sport.
George, Architect
Old 09-18-2018, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

This was a well-executed trick play that kept completely within the rules. I'll give them credit for that, as it's pretty hard to do. And because of the publicity, it won't work for any other team for at least a decade. Does it put receivers at risk? Slightly, but the punting team who chooses not to believe a fair catch signal will be penalized.

My FIL is a high school football referee. As he tells it, most high school trick plays involve actually breaking a rule and hoping the refs don't notice. Most involve crazy things like extra players running on the field, players running off the field, or coaches blowing whistles or shooting things.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 09-18-2018, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by widebody911 View Post
Cool trick, but I think you only get to use that once. It seems like the trick you keep up your sleeve for a close game.
just so
Old 09-18-2018, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: