Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Evil Genius

Garage
Millenials - Stickshift is a Car Security System?

https://komonews.com/news/offbeat/man-tries-to-steal-car-with-a-gun-runs-away-after-realizing-its-a-stick-shift-03-08-2019-183452793?utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=internal

Wag more, bark less.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Yes, it's an effective anti-theft feature and I've had this experience very recently but it wasn't a car jacking. Someone broke into my car, found the spare key stupidly left in car and could not steal it because it's a manual. I wish I could tell you how hilarious the whole experience was but it's not. They cleaned out the car for valuables and have returned at least once to try again, (they have the key).
Old 04-15-2019, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Both of my kids were trained to be very smooth, and comfortable with a manual transmission.

So many have never ridden a mower/tractor, done any physical work in their lives, or driven a manual trans...let alone the old "Three on the tree" like my Dad's pickup truck was.
Old 04-15-2019, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
I'd say it has been a problem even before Millenials.

I do notice that manual cars tend to be driven more by females that I know than by males that I know.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
Go to Europe and you will have a hard time finding a car w an automatic in some countries. I actually met a young person who did not know how to drive an automatic(?)....I know, sounds impossible. I swear, it happened.

As much as old car people want to extract some larger meaning from it, itís meaningless.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Leadfoot Geezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by speeder View Post
Yes, it's an effective anti-theft feature...
Old 04-15-2019, 11:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

A manual tranny is also a sales deterrent.
When selling my Ranger last year, three diff potential buyers backed out because they had assumed it was an auto.
When trying to explain the benefits to them...each one said they had never driven a stick and I could tell they were afraid of trying.

Last edited by stevej37; 04-15-2019 at 12:01 PM..
Old 04-15-2019, 11:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

My nephew wanted me to use my 1988 targa to deliver his bride to the wedding, I agreed. I had to have the car at the hotel overnight and the only parking was valet. I was not to hip on the idea of valet, so they let me park the car myself.

The next day I had the car parked in front of the hotel waiting for the bride and struck up a conversation with the valet attendants. None of them could drive a stick comfortably.
2001 Jetta TDI dead
1982 Chevette Diesel SOLD
Old 04-15-2019, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
The youth have their strengths.

Like technology.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post

Like technology.
I don't get it. Was going to give my daughter my 2003 Passat with a 1.8T and a five speed. Pretty sweet driver.

Hours driving. She had it down.

Refused to accept it.

She was belligerent at the end. NOOOOOO!

Got her a Corolla auto, pushover that I am.

Last edited by Bob Kontak; 04-15-2019 at 02:00 PM..
Old 04-15-2019, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Had a tire repair done at pep boys last week. The tire kid didn't know how to drive a standard. Pulled it into the bay for him.

Non Cedo Ferio
Old 04-15-2019, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Zink Racer

Taught my son to drive a stick in a 911SC I had at the time. He recently bought a 6MT Golf R. Proud Dad :-)
Old 04-15-2019, 02:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Was looking at a Subaru for my 17 year old daughter. Good price, low miles, everything clean and straight. Really a nice car.
Manual 5-speed.
Me: That will work just fine.
Wife and daughter: NOOOOOOOOO.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

One of my regrets is that I didn't teach my son to drive stick. I didn't want my 911s clutch burned up.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Mu daughter just took her test and passed in my '92 5.0 with a manual, i promptly gave her the keys and the car is hers now. She loves it.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Nice guy eddie

Garage
When I got my drivers license, all we had was manual cars. I took my test in my Momís almost new Ď74 Superbeetle. When it was my baby sisterís turn 4 years later, my parents could not seem to teach her manual transmission. I took her out in the VW on a dirt road near our cabin and taught her in less than an hour.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I did not have a choice, my dad said I had to learn.... Took my test in an '83 Toyota Tercel.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Administrator

<-- Millennial. Mother taught me on a manual. She told me she never wanted me to be in a situation where I needed to know how to drive one and not know how. First car was a manual (still have). Will always own a manual car of some sort.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Burn the fire.

Garage
I didn't have a choice, learning to drive on my old '73 Karmann Ghia. That car was awesome. I tried to teach my sister when she wanted to buy a new Spark. 45 minutes in, she was over it, bought a CVT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash View Post

Like technology.
Yeah I don't know. I had to Valet my Cayman a couple years ago for a big dealer meeting. The first valet had trouble - "Where's the push-button start?"

"Drive it like you stole it."
Old 04-15-2019, 03:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
My kids all learn it - there is European driving required down the road (no pun intended). There is also more focus on the car and what it is doing.

But let's face it, only 2% of cars in the US sold new have a stick per Edmunds. I could not even get my half ton truck with a manual anymore.

G
Old 04-15-2019, 04:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: