Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Data Center Layout

I'm building an office building for a client who's never had a clean sheet of paper to work with.

The design engineer is hopeless so I've turned to PPOT.

A server rack is 600mm wide (23.6") . If I have (5) of them, is my server lineup 3000mm or do I need to allow for spacing between the racks, side to side?

Since I'm in the US, my thinking is that if I allow 24" for each rack, I should be fine. Thoughts?
Old 07-16-2019, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Depends on the rack and how they fasten to the floor and what type of air flow restrictions between each rack to start.

"Don't get so caught up in your right to dissent that you forget your obligation to contribute." Mrs. James to her son Chappie.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Racks or cabinets?
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 07-16-2019, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
No spacing between the racks if they are standard 42u racks with front and rear doors. If this is raised floor be nice and give them a cool row in front and a hot row behind.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 07-16-2019, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
New kid in town

90% of our racks attach side to side with no space in between. The rest need front/back/and side access.

There is also the air flow consideration. Cold air in the front gets drawn through and makes hot air to the back.

And how about power? Is that part of your plan?

Raised floor weight considerations?
Old 07-16-2019, 01:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Wow, I expected fast but not 4 replies in 15 minutes fast.

They are a mixture of cabinets and open racks, floor mounted, no raised floor. I'm good with spacing front to back, we've allowed 4 feet between rows for the cool aisle and 4 foot plus on the back. My concern was the side clearance. I know some of the owners existing equipment will need side access but that will likely figured out on the fly. The room allows for 100% growth over their current footprint.

We should have plenty of power, the racks are fed with 50+ 30amp dedicated circuits, PDUs are by the Owner.

We're using Leibert CRV 600s for cooling, they're located approximately half way down the aisle, so I wanted to make sure I located them in the room properly without wasting any space.
Old 07-16-2019, 01:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

4' between is going to be a little tight, bump that up if you can. Standard server is ~30" deep. Add in the door and extra few inches at the front of the cabinet and you have ~1' for you or a server lift. Or, you'll always need 2 folks to rack equipment.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Data Center Layout

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVega View Post
4' between is going to be a little tight, bump that up if you can. Standard server is ~30" deep. Add in the door and extra few inches at the front of the cabinet and you have ~1' for you or a server lift. Or, you'll always need 2 folks to rack equipment.

Like anything, its a balancing act, the footprint of the room is defined. If I make the cold aisle wider, I steal from the hot aisles and there is other infrastructure (fire suppression, structural column and tech desk) that chokes down the hot aisles making them effectively narrower than the 4’-6” width they’re laid out to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2019, 03:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Just move to the “cloud”
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 07-16-2019, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Remember there is always going to be someone adding or moving cables. Could be front or back. And there will be lots of cables. If space is too tight the person could bump something they shouldn't.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

AWS is cheap. You can checkout but you can never leave.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 07-16-2019, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Monkey+Football

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Icemaster
You allocated any space in the racks (or room) for expansion?

85 Targa Wong Chip Fabspeed M&K Bilsteins and a bunch of other stuff.
Old 07-16-2019, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemaster View Post
You allocated any space in the racks (or room) for expansion?

Yes, assuming no side access cabinets we have room for 16 racks and currently using 8.
Old 07-16-2019, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Douglas View Post
Remember there is always going to be someone adding or moving cables. Could be front or back. And there will be lots of cables. If space is too tight the person could bump something they shouldn't.

That’s why I didn’t want to choke down the hot aisles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-16-2019, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: