Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
madcorgi

Doomsday Bunkers

There have been several articles lately about rich guys preparing luxury doomsday bunkers in old missile silos and whatnot. Not sure I'd want to live 150 under Kansas, but apparently lots of folks do.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/13/us/apocalypse-doomsday-capitalists.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Old 08-13-2019, 04:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
As cool as an old missile silo would be, I’m Thinking that even though it has been abandoned by our government that our “enemies” will try and hit as many known silos as possible if it came down to a nuclear threat. Making your bunker a first or second round target.

Now for other threats, it would be a good bet.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 08-13-2019, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

See 'Tabs' for details.
Old 08-13-2019, 04:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I see you

I live near an arsenal. I juuuuust might have enough time to say "what was....."?

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 08-13-2019, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Information Overloader

I'm pretty sure I'd rather not survive an apocalypse so severe that it required living in an abandoned missile silo in Kansas.
Old 08-13-2019, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Once upon a time, I had considered purchasing old silo property in Eastern Washington state. The price of land was very low. The cost to remove hazardous "stuff" and make it livable was too high...
Old 08-13-2019, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Model Citizen

Read "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy and then ask yourself if a post apocalypse life is right for you.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned

I think it's funny that rich people think they will be able to get to an elaborate bunker hundreds of miles away if the SHTF.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

There’s a company on the 405 into la , I think it’s around Long Beach area , that sell them .
I’m not sure if they’re the same company that featured in a series on tv , but I watched one of the episodes .
Built an underground bunker out in the woods , miles away from anywhere , equip it with a generator , tins of spam , bottled water etc .
Go a few weeks later to do maintenance or something , and the generator has been stolen

Awesome ...
Old 08-13-2019, 07:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

when I was a cold war kid we thought about how to survive

storm drains are a quick off the street hide hole if caught in town

but I would rather sail away before with options on where to go
then be stuck in one place
Old 08-13-2019, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
madcorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
I think it's funny that rich people think they will be able to get to an elaborate bunker hundreds of miles away if the SHTF.
This.

A different article I read a few years ago talked about the logistics of getting from, say, Silicon Valley to a bunker in the midwest. Get to the airport, get on private jet, somehow get it gassed up in the panic, fly to West Bumfuk, get out to bunker. Not a pilot? You'll need one. What about his family? Won't they want to escape with him? What about their families?

In the end, I think all this stuff is pretty silly. When the world ends, I'll be out on the deck of the little house on the hill above the water. Burnin' one.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbob View Post
I'm pretty sure I'd rather not survive an apocalypse so severe that it required living in an abandoned missile silo in Kansas.
If there is a full on nuclear event, I hope the first one lands in my back yard. I don't want to be a partially burned survivor in an apocalyptic desert scrounging for food.
Old 08-14-2019, 03:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
We have 2 good friends that live on a hilltop in Kaneohe, very cool place. When Hawaii had the nuclear attack scare last year, they went out and worked in their garden. She sat on the deck with her coffee. He said, if it happens it happens, I'd rather be out here tending my patch..
Old 08-14-2019, 03:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Never banned

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Switzerland has this covered!

To survive is one thing. Imagine having to live afterwards.

Old 08-14-2019, 04:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
madcorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly78z View Post
If there is a full on nuclear event, I hope the first one lands in my back yard. I don't want to be a partially burned survivor in an apocalyptic desert scrounging for food.
Indeed.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
"Death wears bunny slippers." This guy did it, it cost a fortune and took massive amounts labor and ingenuity. Get a coffee and a few hours of your time.

1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 08-14-2019, 08:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian c2 View Post
There’s a company on the 405 into la , I think it’s around Long Beach area , that sell them .
Ironic, as the Seal Beach weapons station is near them and will surely be a target of MRVs. The many oil refineries in that area will also turn into craters.
Not a good place to be if it hits the fan.

Based on their location, one has to wonder if they are really serious about the apocalypse or if they just want gold from fools.

Besides, its easier and cheaper to but lots of spoons and ammo.
if you have spoons and your neighbor has food, guess who goes hungry?
Old 08-14-2019, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
madcorgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
"Death wears bunny slippers." This guy did it, it cost a fortune and took massive amounts labor and ingenuity. Get a coffee and a few hours of your time.

Oh my! What a weird dude. Imagine growing up with that guy as your dad.
Old 08-14-2019, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Banned

It is a Doomsday Bunker gap..The US needs to embark on a crash program of building Doomsday Bunkers so that the Russian don't get ahead of the US..
Old 08-14-2019, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Evil Genius

Garage
A must must must read.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Beach_(novel)

Wag more, bark less.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: