Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

i would not fly UNITED AIR

my wife just fly on united. she had her purse and one small bag.
at the gate, they said "her ticket does NOT ALLOW CARRY ON BAGS!!"
they made her and almost everyone else check their bag and CHARGED her $55 to check it.
just be away of the possible scam to get more money out of you.

she did ask where it says on her ticket that it says no carry ons allowed but it did not show it on the ticket.

08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 09-04-2019, 07:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That has been in force for a while on the basic el cheapo tickets.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

I've got a small piece that fits under the seat in front.

"No carry on" means no using the overhead bins. Must be under the seat.

Since they started charging for checked bags, everybody wants to go with carry ons.
Result is the overhead bins are easily overloaded.
The solution was to offer a cheaper price for not allowing use of the overheads.

Should be clearly spelled out at time of purchase.
Old 09-04-2019, 08:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Sounds like United's "basic economy" class ticket--no carry on--(1) personal item is permitted, no pre-flight seat assignments.
69 Chevrolet C-20 Longhorn (family heirloom)
Old 09-04-2019, 09:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I just flew United yesterday (economy) and watched the gal next to me bring a carry-on (looked a bit larger than usually permitted), a fairly good sized tote bag and her purse. I donít know where she stuffed it all.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

i just flew a few weeks ago and delta did not do that to me. my flights were also sold out, they offered to check bags for FREE at the gate.

she also flew up on a different airlines and they did not do that.
she has even flown the cheapest of the cheapest, allegiant air, I think they charge to breathe the air but did not charge for a carry on.
that's just it, EVERYONE is carrying their bags, no one wants to check them thus the scam of "your ticket does not allow a carry on"

she also said all the bins were empty because everyone had to check their bag
08 VOLVO V70 190K:: [__] RUNNING: [__] NOT RUNNING:
90 B2200[__] RUNNING:[] NOT RUNNING:__2000 MER E320 WAGON [] WRECKED:[]RUNNING:
Old 09-04-2019, 09:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
cycling has-been

I had to check my carry-on at the gate from SNA to EWR last night.
Seems that by the time they got around to boarding group 4, (I was third in line) all the overheads were filled. Thank-you groups 2 and 3. United let them stow their under-seat items in the overheads - so - no room for group 4 carry-ons.
No charge, because my ticket said one carry-on. (Up one level from the super-econ mode.)
Flight crew and attendants were excellent. They don't make the rules.
No worries, my bag came out roughly the same time my wife's came out on the carousel, and... away we go.

I usually don't fly anywhere around a holiday, but it was granson's 5th b'day, and we've never been out for the occasion (Labor Day weekend). Probably be another 5 years before we do that again.
Bill K
Old 09-04-2019, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

4 weeks ago, we flew United from Richmond, Va to Seattle. Routing was through Dullas. When the commuter flight arrived, the pilot came off and declared the airplane off line as they could not get the baggage door open.

So now we have to interact with United personnel. Every single one of them looked like deer in the headlights behind a computer screen. And, of course, the concept of customer service was no where to be seen. Eventually we were rerouted via Newark and we arrived Seattle 3 hours late.

I had been warned about United, but I used them because of better flight times. I will never fly them again, no matter what the flight times or associated costs.
Old 09-04-2019, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T77911S View Post
i just flew a few weeks ago and delta did not do that to me. my flights were also sold out, they offered to check bags for FREE at the gate.

she also flew up on a different airlines and they did not do that.
she has even flown the cheapest of the cheapest, allegiant air, I think they charge to breathe the air but did not charge for a carry on.
that's just it, EVERYONE is carrying their bags, no one wants to check them thus the scam of "your ticket does not allow a carry on"

she also said all the bins were empty because everyone had to check their bag
Yelling more and louder is exactly how you should be dealing with this.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/inflight/basic-economy.aspx

Next time, don't buy that $200 plane ticket. but the $250 one, and get a carry on bag for free. Or, better yet, buy the cheapo $200 flight and check the bag at the counter like an adult for $30.

Oh...Alegient charges for that carry on...
https://www.allegiantair.com/popup/optional-services-fees#baggage

Delta doesn't, but they will force you to gate check if you're in the cheapest tier.

But...United didn't hide this from you at all.
When you buy the United basic economy ticket, they make you VERIFY that you know you're buying the cheapo seat, and won't get a carry on, nor get to pick a seat beforehand. So, someone just went all willy-nilly on the United website when buying a ticket, and didn't read anything they were asked to read.

1980 911SC sunroof coupe, silver/black: The Wurster
2006 Mazda3 5 door, M-speed exhaust: The Ricer
Putting the sick back into sycophant!
Old 09-04-2019, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

^^^^

Correct
Old 09-04-2019, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I was heading up to my brother's place in Colorado a few months ago. I got the cheapo seat. I had a big honking suit case with my back packing gear in it so had to check a bag anyway. No problems.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Mike is spot on, I fly I United ALOT

Someone did not pay attention to their ticket class.

I have also seen them take small carry-on bags out of the overheads to make room for suitcases.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Carry on size is getting outrageous, flew Delta and AA a couple of weeks ago...wish they had made some of those folks shove their carry ons up their asses for how big the damn things were.

Whatever "it" is, if it doesn't start, it can't end.
Heavily medicated for your protection.
Old 09-04-2019, 03:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pazuzu View Post
Next time, don't buy that $200 plane ticket. but the $250 one, and get a carry on bag for free. Or, better yet, buy the cheapo $200 flight and check the bag at the counter like an adult for $30.
Agree.
It's a seriously shady-move to add extra charges, after the stated ticket price has been bought and paid for, and after the customer has no other options.
It's a slimy underhanded trick.
I would tend to avoid doing business with that company for a long time.

That will probably become the norm in the future...Thieving.

----------------------------------

1). I gave a donation to Wikileaks and they auto-signed me up for auto pay every year.
No warning.
No consent.

2). I used an Amazon gift card and with free membership shipping, and they auto-signed me up for a $14 per monthsubscription.
No explanation of contract implied.
No warning.
No consent.
Old 09-04-2019, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I just flew United to Hawaii. We carried on. No problem.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
I'm just amazed at how cheap distance is when flying.

They've really made an art of low cost transportation.

Used to be flying was expensive, now, if going alone, it is much cheaper than driving.
Old 09-04-2019, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
I see you

the last time I flew United my seat had been repaired with duct tape...true story.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 09-04-2019, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
My friends call me, Top

Garage
Basic Economy ticket allows 1 personal bag. Carry-on bag size for most airlines is smaller than it was a few years ago, too.

'87 924S
'71 440 Charger R/T
Old 09-05-2019, 03:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
I flew in the States last year with my wife and daughter.
The scam that got me on the Orlando to LAX flight was having to pay US$100 extra per seat to allow us to sit together. Without the extra $$, every time we tried to check in online the seats allocated would change so we were still sitting rows apart.

I knew it would happen, just not so soon...........
Old 09-05-2019, 03:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Recreational Mechanic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tervuren View Post
I'm just amazed at how cheap distance is when flying.

They've really made an art of low cost transportation.

Used to be flying was expensive, now, if going alone, it is much cheaper than driving.
A friend who is a pilot once put it in perspective for me:

How much did it cost to fly from NY to LA in 1975? $500

How much does it cost to fly from NY to LA in 2019? $500

They've got to make up for inflation somewhere.

Old 09-05-2019, 04:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: