Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Promotion Negotiation - question for the PPOT Brain-trust

Hi PPOT Brain-trust. I have a bit of a dilemma, a good one, but a tough situation for me. Iíd like your opinions and takes on how to handle it.

TLDR: When I went to quit my job they offered me a promotion to stay. Should I take it? If I do, whatís the best way to get more money?

Background: Iíve been at my job since out of college (15yrs) and have grown within it. Iím a Senior Manufacturing Engineer in a fairly niche industry, Aerospace Structures. Iíve been looking to grow towards management and the path Iíd plotted was through project/program management, then up from there to a director position (programs / operations / engineering).

About 8 months ago, I approached management with the goals I had regarding the change in path and they basically said it was their goal for me to fill my current bossís shoes when he retires in approximately 4-5 years. That was too far down the road for my taste and I started looking at other options. I enrolled in a Project Management Certification course at the local state college and will be taking the PMP exam late this year.

A couple months ago I started talking to another company (a global corporation with household name recognition). They offered me an Industrial Engineering position (broader scope, bigger projects than currently working) with the impression that moving around within the company was easy and opportunities come up often. With this impression and a significant pay increase, I accepted their offer.

When I received a start date, I planned to give my employer notice that Iíll be resigning. The day before I planned to do so, I was pulled into my bossís office for my annual performance review, and it was very positive. He told me was my raise was (better than last years), and we talked a bit about future work and goals for the following year. I decided against telling him right then because I wanted to think an afternoon on it, and didnít want it to seem reactionary. The following day, Iíd planned to tell my boss I was leaving in the afternoon. Just before lunch, he and his boss called me into his office and gave me a letter that included a plan outlining a promotion path in one year to Associate Program Manager. This was really good news! Except it still felt a little wishy-washy and with fluff.

I decided to think on this over the weekend and during that contemplation I decided to move forward with the resignation. A bird in one hand was worth 2 in the bush, is the way I felt. On Monday I gave my notice and Tuesday had a meeting with the HR manager, asking why Iím leaving, asking if there was anything they could do, etc. I said this looked to be a better opportunity and it was current and not a maybe a year down the road.

The next day I was called into a meeting with our CEO, Director of Programs, and the HR manager. They offered me the Associate Program Manager title starting immediately, along with a pay increase plus management bonus structure (better).

Based on salary websites, their offer is low for the market average, between $5k and $20k depending on how the inputs are manipulated. Also, staying at my current job has a higher commute expense, a delta of approx. $9500/yr.

The Questions:
1 Ė Should I stay at all?
2 Ė If I stay, how should I best use this to negotiate a better salary without them just thinking Iím messing with them/being a jerk?
Old 09-14-2019, 05:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

That's tough. I guess I'd honor my commitment to company B and go while telling your current company that you appreciate their offer and your history together. Try to leave the door open for an offer you can't refuse sort of situation but if they have integrity, they should appreciate yours.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Never stay at a job if they give you a counter offer when you give them your resignation- now they have time to figure out how to replace you on their time.

If they had valued you like the other company and apparently the market, they would have already promoted you.

1977 911S Targa Chocolate Brown
Old 09-14-2019, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Honor your commitment to the new company
Old 09-14-2019, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I wouldn't stay. Maybe I have a pessimistic outlook but a similar thing happened to me where I asked for a reasonable raise based on performance and market rate. Denied until I put in my notice a coupe weeks later, then they said ok. No way, that just means they could have when I asked and chose not to hoping I wouldnt leave. To me, that just said every time I wanted/deserved something it was going to be a fight and maybe having to threaten to leave. That's no way to live.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Youíve given your word to the new company. Honor it.

Just my .02
Old 09-14-2019, 06:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Walk
They want you to work for cheap in exchange for a new title.
Whoop-de-doo. If they won’t pay the going rate and you are in a position to, get to going.
Just don’t burn bridges.
Old 09-14-2019, 06:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

First of all their offer is still low and you have a delta of $9.5K more in commuting expense. Doesn't pencil out. Plus think if the new knowledge, skills, and networking you will probably gain with the new company. If that happens, you'll be eligible to go even farther up there or somewhere else.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Your bargaining position, if they really want you, is better with Company B.
Old 09-14-2019, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
A Man of Wealth and Taste

Company A may have had an epiphany..omg he is leaving.

One thing to consider every upper mgt guy thinks about advancing his career without regard for the companies well being. In other words they are there for the betterment of themselves and not the company. Maybe that realization on their part is why they got that corner office with the big window and desk.

Consider that they may just be thinking this threat counter offer stuff is called negotiation.

Go for what is best for you.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Reelin' In The Years

Honor your commitment to Company B...you accepted their offer, negotiations have ended.

You have been doing all the right things to move into management, don’t deviate now.

Last edited by Seahawk; 09-15-2019 at 03:38 AM..
Old 09-15-2019, 03:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Trust in and use your experience in company A to excel and go further in company B
Old 09-15-2019, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

All above have said it. Company B

HOWEVER. Make it clear to company A that you loved working with them. That you have many years ahead of you. That you would welcome working with them in the future. BUT, you have made a commitment. If they want to work with you, they can craft a path after a somewhat acceptable time frame to make this happen.

My buddy just did this. Worked out well when his company B turned out to have less than perfect conditions.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LWJ View Post
All above have said it. Company B

HOWEVER. Make it clear to company A that you loved working with them. That you have many years ahead of you. That you would welcome working with them in the future. BUT, you have made a commitment. If they want to work with you, they can craft a path after a somewhat acceptable time frame to make this happen.

My buddy just did this. Worked out well when his company B turned out to have less than perfect conditions.
That is world class schmoozing .
Old 09-15-2019, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Monkey+Football

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Icemaster
Revisit your reasons for leaving in the first place, has anything changed? If not, you have your answer. If yes, what are the odds the changes will result in a change to your job satisfaction?

Reality is, in this world, the best way to move up and increase both responsibility and compensation is move around, unless you've got a boss that will have that as a priority. It reads to me like your boss DOES see your potential and current value, unless of course they knew you were looking around and took some early pre-emptive steps.

Doesn't sound like you're in the same area as me, but definitely in the same practice (program/project management). I'd be happy to talk 1-1 on it if you'd like, feel free to PM me.

85 Targa Wong Chip Fabspeed M&K Bilsteins and a bunch of other stuff.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Thanks DD. I pride myself on the schmooze.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

If you are a man of your word then you go to company B as agreed upon . Case closed . After 15 years with the same company you have a certain comfort level but likewise you know things that you don't like that's why you went looking outside the company . The grass isn't always greener on the other side but you'll never know without making the change . It may turn out to be the best decision you ever made .
Old 09-16-2019, 03:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Misunderstood User

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
Never stay at a job if they give you a counter offer when you give them your resignation- now they have time to figure out how to replace you on their time.

If they had valued you like the other company and apparently the market, they would have already promoted you.
Agreed! It's time to moove on. You will gain a broader experience with new challenges at the future company. It will make you better. 15 years is a long time with a company - well done: Good luck with your future endeavor!

1983 944n/a
2003 Mercedes CLK 500 - totaled. Sanwiched on the Kennedy Expressway
Old 09-16-2019, 04:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

Leave now.

They should've promoted you the first time you asked.

BTDT
Old 09-16-2019, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

15 yrs and you're not where ya want/deserve to be ?

'Nuff said
Old 09-16-2019, 06:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: