Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
When is dead dead

So this guy is serving a life sentence and dies.

They jump start him 5xs and bring him back.

He claims he served his life sentence and should be let go.

Courts say no.

Im sorta on the fence.

Technically if no one pronounced him hes not legally dead but I kinda see his point mostly because he also had a DNR that was not honored.

Discuss

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/11/08/benjamin-schreiber-denied-life-sentence-appeal-iowa/?outputType=amp

Old 11-09-2019, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Not dead. Brain was still functioning.

Do life insurances policies pay off in similar situations ?
Old 11-09-2019, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

Why was he revived 5 times? -
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 11-09-2019, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Maybe he was serving consecutive life sentences.
Drum roll please!
Old 11-09-2019, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner or later View Post
Not dead. Brain was still functioning.

Do life insurances policies pay off in similar situations ?
Do we know that?

Is someone who is brain dead but on a vent dead?

I say yes but still we have court fights to determine if the plug can be pulled.

And even if they are brain dead insurance won’t pay out while on life support.

While I think his appeal is creative I think the courts got it right in terms of was he dead.

But the ignored DNR complicates it for me.

Last edited by stomachmonkey; 11-09-2019 at 10:25 AM..
Old 11-09-2019, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, why was the DNR not honored. His brother was involved with that according to the article, but did he have power of attorney to say revive him?
Old 11-09-2019, 10:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I think you need a death certificate for life insurance. Or at least proof of some kind.
Old 11-09-2019, 10:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWJ View Post
Or at least proof of some kind.
Like a dead body?
Old 11-09-2019, 10:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
White and Nerdy

Garage
If DR.'s save lives, how can they save the life of a dead person? There isn't life to save.

The heart stopped beating for a period of time such that the DR.'s intervened to restart it, and thereby saved his life.

If you were in a similar situation, would you thank the Dr's for saving your life? If they saved your life, then it is still you.

The prisoner was revived. He still has his body, his mind, and his identity.

Now if on the other hand they had gone about to create a new person and a new life like Dr. Frankenstien, maybe.

Last edited by Tervuren; 11-09-2019 at 11:36 AM..
Old 11-09-2019, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting topic.......

For me the prisoner signed his life away when he was sentenced to life

His bad he didn't check out permanently, I hope the victims family is finding some comfort knowing he now has an extended sentence

On a lighter note today I had to correct a very nice lady trying to sell me one of those miracle magnetic bracelets I should try it because 'you only live once'
1994 Toyota 4Runner Gen 2
Old 11-09-2019, 01:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
#trudeaumustgo

Quote:
........he clubbed a man to death with the handle of a pickax and left his body outside a trailer, the Des Moines Register reported. He had conspired with the man’s girlfriend to murder him.

Doesn't deserve to breath air. Put him in Epstein's cell and turn off the cameras again.
Old 11-09-2019, 03:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
He stays in jail, but he would have a case against the doctors that violated his DNR

Mark Twain
Old 11-09-2019, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

If he says he died. Perform an autopsy on him to see if he is correct.
Old 11-09-2019, 05:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobra View Post
He stays in jail, but he would have a case against the doctors that violated his DNR
Honestly, I think this is what this case hinges on.

Reminds me of this:

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 11-09-2019, 06:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ahab Jr View Post

On a lighter note today I had to correct a very nice lady trying to sell me one of those miracle magnetic bracelets I should try it because 'you only live once'
haha a YOLO sale tactic...
You should have countered with you only die once.

IRR... What IRR!
Old 11-09-2019, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by asphaltgambler View Post
Why was he revived 5 times? -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke View Post
Maybe he was serving consecutive life sentences.
Wow.
Old 11-09-2019, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

warm and dead is dead
Gone but not forgotten: 2003 R1100s BCR, 77 R100s, 09 S63 AMG, 74 911, 88 R100RS, 78 930, 01 996 C4, 05 Cayenne, 09 Audi TT, 03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans, 07 WRX STI, 03 R1150GSA, 78 R100/7, 01 Audi S4, 98 Audi A4, 98 R1200c, 78 GL1000, 92 Accord coupe, 89 KE100
Old 11-09-2019, 09:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

This question was resolved in the law many years ago. Around the time Karen Ann Quinlan went into a vegetative state but survived on a respirator, the courts had to struggle with the issue of when someone was dead or alive and the advances of medical technology. Eventually the courts resolved the question of when someone "dies" through brain function. A person isn't considered dead unless they're brain dead, even if the body can be sustained by a machine, or even breaths and pumps blood on its own. When the brain stem is permanently broken, the person is legally dead, even if the body keeps functioning. That's why they could deny Terri Schiavo food and water until her body ceased to function. Her brain stem was dead. She had no brain function but enough of her unconscious neurological system remained intact for her to keep breathing and her heart pumping on her own. She was already "dead" so it was permissible to stop supporting the body's functions. Interestingly, it is not allowed to take affirmative action to end the physical life of someone who is brain dead. It is only allowed to take passive steps and deny the person food and water until the body "dies".

Anyway, the prisoner didn't have anything to lose by trying his novel argument (he has a lot of time on his hands) so it makes sense he would at least try it. But the issue was really resolved a long time ago against his argument. Dead means permanent brain dead, not temporary heart dead.

Last edited by MRM; 11-10-2019 at 04:19 AM..
Old 11-10-2019, 04:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Garage
Old 11-10-2019, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
My friends call me, Top

Garage
I think what is being missed is the life sentence. The life sentence is to keep him behind bars until death. No chance to get out and commit anymore crimes. If he was successfully revived, he is not dead. Therefore the intent of the sentence must be fulfilled. He remains behind bars until he dies, and stays dead.
I really do not see the dilema this seems to be causing. Yes, he died and was revived. It is not like his thought process was changed. He is still the same guy. Would you want him released if he was going to get put in your neighborhood ? Because he will surely be in someones neighborhood if released. Do you think that getting jump started 5 times has changed him ? I do not think so. He is alive and must serve his sentence.

'87 924S
'71 440 Charger R/T
Old 11-10-2019, 05:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: