Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
I didn't know I needed ANY glasses until I went for my 3rd class medical after 20 years on the ground and failed the vision exam. That was 12 years ago and it's been downhill ever since.

Old 11-24-2019, 11:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott R View Post
How did you know you needed reading glasses? I think I might be there, I’m closer to 50 than to 45 and l can’t read text in dim or fading light. During the day is fine with sunlight, it’s just at twilight and evenings. Oh and how do you know which power to buy?

There is this thing you do where you go to an eye doctor, and they make sure you don't have any conditions that would cause you to go blind. This is important as you get older. Then they test your vision, and give you a prescription for glasses if you need them. Then you get glasses and see how you like them.

After that, you can go buy cheap readers if you want, and spew them all over your universe.. Seeing the eye doctor is more important as you get older. I am only telling you the obvious because you asked. Get your eyes checked, no joke. Glaucoma. Macular degeneration. Having a wife who still wants me working, I do get tested from time to time. No big deal, and it is nice to be able to see things.

Captain Obvious out.

Last edited by DanielDudley; 11-24-2019 at 01:04 PM..
Old 11-24-2019, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
It'll be legen-waitforit

Walmart has cheap readers, I grab a handfull, and keep them everywhere, cars, home, etc.

I have progressives for daily office work.
Gone: 79 911SC, 83 944, 05 Cayenne Turbo
Old 11-24-2019, 02:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsinrugs View Post
I’m two months in having cataract removed and new lenses inserted. I had bad night and long distance vision. My night vision is restored and I see everything in high def now.
Is this a fairly new procedure? Just did a quick search and the links found are pretty recent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigster59 View Post
Try fly fishing, when you can't tie a size 18 fly onto your leader anymore, you'll swear by reading glasses.
+1 There is also something to be said for keeping a stronger set of reading glasses in the tool box for short duration micro work.
Old 11-24-2019, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Never banned

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
You NEED to go to an ophthalmologists, and get your eyes checked every few years at the very least. I go one per year now. They can look at your retina, look for cataracts, check for glaucoma and about a zillion other things that might stand between your vision and blindness in the near future.

After a full medical evaluation and vision check, they will know precisely how good or bad your vision really is on a scientific scale.

I noticed back in my 30s that if I read a lot, the world turned fuzzy. I have astigmatism. With no line bifocals I have 20-20 vision at age 65. For working on the computer I almost always take my glassed off, unless I am using the laptop. It has a stupid small font size to make the camera control software for shooting aerial photo missions function properly.

Go to a real eye doctor, an ophthalmologist, and don't bother with a optometrist unless all you want are new glasses. I prefer my eyes to be checked by an eye surgeon. My vision is very important to me.
This really is the best advise in the thread. What are your eyes worth?
Old 11-24-2019, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by stomachmonkey View Post
Logically that makes zero sense.

You are essentially saying that during a time that your eyes are working hard they degrade then further degrade when they are no longer working as hard.

What caused them to degrade before you got glasses to the point that you needed glasses?
I understand that one of the reasons that vision declines as we age is that the eye hardens so that it won't focus to the same range.

If you magnify things so your muscles don't have to try to push the envelope, of what they can do, I believe 2 things occur, the muscles weaken so they can no longer do what they could, and it may enable the hardening to accelerate since the muscles aren't keeping things as loose.

I think the eyes naturally degrade as we get older, but that by giving them the crutch of reading glasses, we enable them to relax and get out of shape which makes it harder to do their job.

For a year or two, I work reading glasses occasionally. My vision around that time continued the way it had been. I got a great, very comfy set of glasses and wore them more than I had been and have seen a noticeable acceleration of degradation.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 11-24-2019, 03:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdfifteen View Post
You probably wouldn't care what I have to say on it then.

Once I broke down and started using glasses I find I use them more and more as I get used to them. You can say I need them more because my eyes got lazy, but I think I use them more because I now realize how poorly I was seeing without them.
Hahahha, could be.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Kontak View Post
Is this a fairly new procedure? Just did a quick search and the links found are pretty recent.

+1 There is also something to be said for keeping a stronger set of reading glasses in the tool box for short duration micro work.
And then another option, that I believe I first saw when Redbeard posted it.

+1.50 for reading (or whatever works for you), +2.50 for detail work, stack them (+4.00) when you REALLY need to see small stuff.

Yes, you can stack reading glasses for increased magnification.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielDudley View Post
There is this thing you do where you go to an eye doctor, and they make sure you don't have any conditions that would cause you to go blind. This is important as you get older. Then they test your vision, and give you a prescription for glasses if you need them. Then you get glasses and see how you like them.

After that, you can go buy cheap readers if you want, and spew them all over your universe.. Seeing the eye doctor is more important as you get older. I am only telling you the obvious because you asked. Get your eyes checked, no joke. Glaucoma. Macular degeneration. Having a wife who still wants me working, I do get tested from time to time. No big deal, and it is nice to be able to see things.

Captain Obvious out.
Iím going this week.
1980 911 SC
1999 996 Cab
Old 11-24-2019, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by masraum View Post
I understand that one of the reasons that vision declines as we age is that the eye hardens so that it won't focus to the same range.

If you magnify things so your muscles don't have to try to push the envelope, of what they can do, I believe 2 things occur, the muscles weaken so they can no longer do what they could, and it may enable the hardening to accelerate since the muscles aren't keeping things as loose.

I think the eyes naturally degrade as we get older, but that by giving them the crutch of reading glasses, we enable them to relax and get out of shape which makes it harder to do their job.

For a year or two, I work reading glasses occasionally. My vision around that time continued the way it had been. I got a great, very comfy set of glasses and wore them more than I had been and have seen a noticeable acceleration of degradation.
Been wearing glasses for 40 years and in retrospect I should have been wearing them earlier.

By that logic I shoulda gone blind like 10 years ago.

And I did not need readers any earlier than is the norm, IIRC I was around 48/49 when it started becoming an issue.
Old 11-24-2019, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
914-6Werkshop

Right at age 45 I realized I needed them. I saw a dr and he said my eyes were normal for my age. I just buy a bunch of readers at Costco and leave them where I read or work on small stuff. Definitely less eye strain than squinting.
At first I bought a nice $20 pair but I realized it's better to have half a dozen cheap pairs than one good one that you can't find when you need them .
Old 11-24-2019, 07:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)
Registered

When you say, where's the flashlight when looking down between the floor joist trying to see if the copper joint has been cleaned by the dumb plumbers during the day. You workmen are saying, its right there, you can't see it? Here's the flashlight. Yep, it started at 50 and I have been near sighted almost all my live. Sucks.

Yeah, like Dad 911 say, WTF is with the small hard to read tiny letters on the menu with very light. Oh, WTF is with the loud music. Not only I can't see, but can't fooking hear with all that back ground noise. Damnit, those whippersnappers
Old 11-24-2019, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)
Actual Porsche owner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by stomachmonkey View Post
By that logic I shoulda gone blind like 10 years ago.
My dad told me at the rate I was going I'd be blind by the time I was 18. Fortunately I got a different girlfriend who seemed more interested in my eye health.
Old 11-24-2019, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
When I was 50 I was having trouble with fine print. Went to get my eyes tested and they told me to go to Walmart and get some cheaters. At age 62 I finally got prescription bifocals.
Old 11-24-2019, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Registered

It was last year for me (turned 51). I couldn't see the slot for a screw under the car. Not enough light and couldn't get my head far enough away for my eyes to focus.
2001 Jetta TDI dead
1982 Chevette Diesel SOLD
Old 11-25-2019, 06:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)
a.k.a. G-man

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
You NEED to go to an ophthalmologists,.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc_rufctr View Post
This really is the best advise in the thread. What are your eyes worth?
This.

At forty or older, do yourself a favour and get a professional to look at your eyes at least once.
I would never buy those supermarket reading-glasses.
Get a pro to do a check up, he will tell you which power you need. this can vary from one eye to the other!
32C Member #41

1986 911 3.2 Carrera (not stock)
1974 911 2.7 9114102230 SOLD
Old 11-25-2019, 06:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)
Registered

Tried a set of cheaters on at WallyMart and muttered "oh my God, my hands look old."
Old 11-25-2019, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)
Counterclockwise?

Garage
When people start calling you Sir.
A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 11-25-2019, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)
madcorgi

Old 11-25-2019, 09:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Bollweevil

Because my arms were getting to short for me to read I realized I probably needed reading glasses. The issue was forced one night at a very nice restaurant when I couldn't read the menu (low light, small print).
Best solution for me for years was monocular contact lens. One eye for reading, one eye for distance vision. After I retired I just went back to readers ... until I failed the vision test for TX drivers license renewal and then came the bi-focals.

One thing about "over the counter" readers, the quality is all over the place... some worked great, some I couldn't stand to wear.

Go get your eyes checked and get good quality readers

Last edited by 74-911; 11-25-2019 at 02:04 PM..
Old 11-25-2019, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: