Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Cancellations because of Covid 19. What should I expect?

I understand the covid 19 shutdown is effecting us all, but I have a question.
I have a couple of events I have paid for, but they have been postponed.
For instance the sun n fun airshow was to be next week. I prepaid a week in their premium area. $880 for the week. The entire show has been postponed, possibly rescheduled in may. I can not go that week in May if it actually happens, and even so many of the show teams like the blue angels are not expected to be available. I emailed the support address-- crickets. Should I expect a refund? Is that being unreasonable? If they are not forthcoming should I put a refund claim with my credit card company? Or, should I just eat it, which would hurt.
Along similar lines I have a photography workshop scheduled in May. Already cancelled. I have prepaid the $1500. My options are a rescheduled class at some random time in the fall, or "online teaching"- which I am not interested in. By the way I took the course in May as Florida birding is peak that time of the year, in the fall their will be nothing to shoot. Again, am I unreasonable to expect a refund? If none given do I again put a claim into the credit card company.

I am trying to be reasonable, but at the same time would rather not throw away roughly $2300. I have never pushed a refund before, so not sure how to proceed. You guys here are usually pretty level headed. How do I proceed?
Thanks
Gary

Old 03-26-2020, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
You need to call and ask for a refund.

You won't know what your next step may be until you take that first one. You may find there is no next step.

We had to cancel several flights / hotel reservations.

Flights were credited as long as we used them before end of year.

Hotels and booked events were all refunded.

All in on close to $4k worth of costs we were credited or refunded all but about $75.00

I'll take it.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I'm still trying to get $500 back from StubHub for a Harry Connick, Jr. concert that was canceled 2 weeks ago. Bastards. I will never buy from StubHub again.

I would keep pushing if I were you. I have filed a complaint with Paypal.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

This pandemic is new territory for everyone and I think it's too early to know how event holders will react. I see you facing two different types of events which might have different pressures on refunds.

The first event, the air show, is a large, complex production. The promoters should have some type of insurance that covers receipt losses due to cancellations, but "should have" does not equal "does have." Still, the show is not cancelled, it's postponed so technically it's still "on," and not covered by insurance. The fact that you are unable to attend the new date is, therefore, something that is "negotiable" with the promoters and how they decide will be dependent upon how many dissatisfied customers they have and how important "doing the right thing" means to them.

Frankly, I believe the new date is not likely to pan-out. That, plus the loss of an important attraction like the Blue Angels may result in an out and out cancellation. You may have to wait a while for a refund to be declared because, as of now, I think the show is in limbo. Your contract with the show (small print on the ticket or order form) may spell out refund policies. Those policies may or may not apply, depending on how this situation unfolds, but it is too early for a show that involves such a large capital outlay.

The photo shoot is a different situation, likely done by a small-time business or individual. Once again, the date of the original shoot was cancelled, but the shoot itself was rescheduled and another option was offered for ticket purchasers. The money for pre-purchases was not likely placed aside and it's doubtful the business has insurance for their activity. Quite possibly, the money is already spent and the person behind the activity cannot give refunds. Legal? Don't know. A lot will depend on how important for the business it is to keep the customers happy and returning. If this has been an annual or regular event with many repeating participants, then the business will more likely "bite the bullet" and give refunds.

In short, it's too early to tell how businesses will respond to cancellations beyond their control. The closer we get to cancelled dates and rescheduled dates, the clearer the picture will become. If I were in your situation, I would take a wait-and-see attitude, keep monitoring the events involved, and push for a refund when it's clear the event cannot be held or is so significantly altered that it is no longer what was advertised.
Stabilized on a Pelican I.V. drip
Old 03-26-2020, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Stub Hub has always been good to me on cancelled events. I would be surprised if you do not get your $ back.

Now VRBO, they can rot in hell for all I care. I wish there was a way for me to leave feedback for the dirtbag owner of the place I rented for the second weekend in Vegas that has been cancelled. I got 50% back and the will not even return messages.
Old 03-26-2020, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

911boost, the president of vrbo sent an email to all that had reservations. Basically, he said that owners should refund the full amount. He kind of left it up to the owners. The owner of the house I rented for spring break refunded the full amount. There was about $500 in miscellaneous fees and insurance I needed to get directly from vrbo. If I were you I would contact vrbo to ask for help.

As for the original poster, we all seem to be in the same boat. There were events I've been looking forward to for half a year that I will need to get refunded. I chose to take the full refund and not apply to a later time. You never know when that later time will be or if the organization/company will still be viable. Once everything is OK you can always re-book.
Old 03-26-2020, 11:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

I have been adopting the wait and see attitude, but I am waiting and seeing nothing.
Especially sun n fun, I am disappointed in the complete silence. I think waiting until it is cancelled or limited is wise. If they will not respond I suspect my gold credit card will.
The photo workshop is different, and in my mind even worse. Yes it is a one man show, but he is out nothing. Throwing options basically to keep my funds, adding a random date at a non peak time, which is almost valueless, is almost insulting. Do the right thing and I will likely reschedule on my own next year.
Thanks for the level headed insight.
Gary
Old 03-26-2020, 11:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Been sitting on an airline reservation for two months and just got contacted by Alaska Air, that my non-refundable tickets can be cancelled and banked with them for a year for tickets anytime in 2021. So hang in there and you might just be contacted. If not, give them a shout. Am sure they have had lots of calls or like you said, cancel your purchase with the CC Co.
Old 03-26-2020, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Wanted to update this thread, I stand firmly by my statement that VRBO has the worth customer service I have ever seen. I will NEVER use them or their sister companies again.

Based on the hidden fees I did not even get 50% back from the shady owner of a place in Las Vegas. Nor is there anyway for me to leave feedback warning others.

The amount I did get back (cancelled on the 22nd of March) I am being told will take another 2 to 3 weeks to process, which means I will pay interest on the difference on my credit card.

Awesome. I sincerely hope they do not survive this.

Rant off.
Old 04-01-2020, 02:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911boost View Post
Stub Hub has always been good to me on cancelled events. I would be surprised if you do not get your $ back.

Now VRBO, they can rot in hell for all I care. I wish there was a way for me to leave feedback for the dirtbag owner of the place I rented for the second weekend in Vegas that has been cancelled. I got 50% back and the will not even return messages.
StubHub is still stonewalling and PayPal decided against me, saying I got what I paid for: tickets. Unbelievable.
Old 04-02-2020, 04:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

I saw yesterday that insurance companies are denying claims for business interruption over this.

I expect the lawyers will get rich if nothing else....
Old 04-02-2020, 05:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porchdog View Post
I saw yesterday that insurance companies are denying claims for business interruption over this.

I expect the lawyers will get rich if nothing else....
Most business policies exclude viruses and such. Mine did. It was clearly stated.

Business loss will be related to physical damage. Fire or flood that damaged the business and caused loss of business due to physical damage to property,

Old 04-02-2020, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: