Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Another Day, another bike thread

My 12 year old son is looking for a bike. Given that all of NJ has been stuck home for 3-1/2 months, our dealers are cleared out.

Is this a nationwide demand or just local? Anyone know of local shop with something along the lines of a Trek Marlin 4, size small (16”) in stock that they’d be willing to ship?

Old 06-27-2020, 04:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Nationwide demand is high. Many shops are low on bikes. When I ride, even on weekdays, I am seeing more people than usual out.

Search the inter web for bicycle sales. That’s how I found mine since none that I was looking for were available in all of Seattle.
Old 06-27-2020, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
weekend wOrrier

Bike shortages are (no joke).

There is a significant back log of orders. Did you know 26 inch tires/tubes were in the cross hairs of covid?

Well- they are. and so is everything else.

I will check with my Trek guy on monday,

At(s)... this point(s), things are hit and miss. Perhaps someone get some/ perhaps someone does not. Either way, I will check.
Ron

Edit- with this in mind- things are hit and miss- do this- search bike shops in an increasing perimeter from your area for trek dealers. Then- query marlin 4 stock. If no love, expand search. Keep the faith. It's out there. Good luck

Last edited by LEAKYSEALS951; 06-27-2020 at 05:46 PM..
Old 06-27-2020, 05:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
I see you

REI has tubes and tires online

“There is no nation on earth powerful enough to accomplish our overthrow. Our destruction, should it come at all, will be from another quarter. From the inattention of the people to the concerns of their government, from their carelessness and negligence.”
Old 06-27-2020, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
weekend wOrrier

LOL- my specialized dealer was singing the blue about tires/tubes.

Here's my local trek dealer. I bet- between c-ville va and ny there is a marlin.

Good luck,

https://www.blueridgecyclery.com/articles/local-info-clubs-pg218.htm
Old 06-27-2020, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

I've bought two different bikes from these guys. Both turned out to be excellent.
Very easy set-up...just attach the handlebars,seat and front wheel.

https://www.roadbikeoutlet.com/collections/bikes
Old 06-27-2020, 06:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAKYSEALS951 View Post
Bike shortages are (no joke).

There is a significant back log of orders. Did you know 26 inch tires/tubes were in the cross hairs of covid?

Well- they are. and so is everything else.

I will check with my Trek guy on monday,

At(s)... this point(s), things are hit and miss. Perhaps someone get some/ perhaps someone does not. Either way, I will check.
Ron

Edit- with this in mind- things are hit and miss- do this- search bike shops in an increasing perimeter from your area for trek dealers. Then- query marlin 4 stock. If no love, expand search. Keep the faith. It's out there. Good luck

Maybe it’s just here but the websites are very weak, nothing like what I’ve seen for shops out west.

I guess it may be their inventory is so thin they can’t be sure they have something in stock but I’ve been checking the dealers sites in that larger and larger radius. Unless you’re in the market for $2,000+, it gets thin quick.

Last edited by wilnj; 06-27-2020 at 06:23 PM..
Old 06-27-2020, 06:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Banned but not out, yet..

Garage
Found my bike searching here: https://www.bikeexchange.com/

If you need a cheapie, Walmart sells bikes online
Old 06-27-2020, 07:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Try CL. I sold my track machine there recently. Locally I find a couple Marlin's for decent pricing. Not as cheap as they used to be, I suppose, but better than new and usually these small bikes are like new because kids don't ride that much until they outgrow it.

G
Old 06-27-2020, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Registered

check the sizing chart:

Just to verify. When you mention the 16" size (S), that equates to 41cm. So 41cm seat tube length (dimension A) would be the S size with 27.5" wheels. But.... What is the inseam of your son's pants. You want your son's stand-over (flat footed measurement from the ground to the crotch) to be around 2 or 3" more than the bikes stand-over dimension (dimension L). Then with your son's stand-over requirement, you may have better luck searching for the bike. You may find that if your son is tall, a medium size bike would fit better. You really don't want a really long seat tube sticking out of the bike frame. And maybe the medium size would work better has your son is still growing.
Old 06-27-2020, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by abisel View Post
check the sizing chart:

Just to verify. When you mention the 16" size (S), that equates to 41cm. So 41cm seat tube length (dimension A) would be the S size with 27.5" wheels. But.... What is the inseam of your son's pants. You want your son's stand-over (flat footed measurement from the ground to the crotch) to be around 2 or 3" more than the bikes stand-over dimension (dimension L). Then with your son's stand-over requirement, you may have better luck searching for the bike. You may find that if your son is tall, a medium size bike would fit better. You really don't want a really long seat tube sticking out of the bike frame. And maybe the medium size would work better has your son is still growing.

The long seatpost seems to be the thinking in most MTBs.

His cousin has the Marlin 5, which is up-spec a little bit on the same frame, so I’m pretty confident on the sizing.
Old 06-28-2020, 01:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Registered

It’s crazy here.

I had to up my budget by a significant amount to find a new MTB (Santa Cruz Chameleon). On the flip side I’ve made some good coin selling some older bikes I had kicking around.

I drive the economy version of a premium car, and the premium version of an economy car.
Old 06-28-2020, 03:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOO View Post
It’s crazy here.

I had to up my budget by a significant amount to find a new MTB (Santa Cruz Chameleon). On the flip side I’ve made some good coin selling some older bikes I had kicking around.

Yeah, thats the real kick in the pants.

Guess what the first thing I got rid of when the quarantine started and I was doing a big cleaning?

If you guessed 3 kids bikes, you’d be right. Now guess how much I got for them?
Old 06-28-2020, 04:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered

So we can call off the search, I caved.

We bought him a Trek Marlin 5 which is a little more up-spec than originally planned.

When I thought about it, his basketball season was cancelled and we got a refund, his summer camps were cancelled and we got a refund so I splurged a little bit and got him what I think will be a pretty solid bike that will have some resale when he out grows it.

Last edited by wilnj; 06-28-2020 at 05:24 PM..
Old 06-28-2020, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Now in 993 land ...

Garage
Nice choice. That is what my kid has. We have been on pretty serious single tracks with it together, the gearing is versatile, so it doubles as a bike to go ride to sports and school. I am glad you stepped up, I think you get a lot nice components with the 5 including hydraulic brakes.

And when it is all said and done, if he takes care of the bike, you will recover a big chunk.

G

Old 06-28-2020, 08:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: