Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Counterclockwise?

Garage
What about the Pro Bass fishing you have going on in the USA?
High school tournaments. Wow the numbers of anglers!
Daddy is buying an expensive boat so little Jimmy can become a star.
The pros are making a s##t load of money and everyone wants to be Wheeler.

Me? Nah. I'm just happy playing with my toys and sitting on the dock having a frosty.

A bunch of stuff with spark plugs
Old 08-25-2020, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)
Information Overloader

Way back when, in high school when the world was black and white, my boss pleaded with me not to go to college but rather to stay and continue teaching, playing and managing the drum department of his music store. I was gigging weddings, practicing hours per day, listening to everything musical and well on my way in the music world.

Nope. I went with the odds.

Same with football. Coach wanted me to stay on the team so I did. But I didn’t join the team the following year. Nope. No matter what, everybody else was getting bigger and bigger. Not moi.

And on and on.

No regrets, though. Instead of performing, I have cultivated a deep appreciation for those who do.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911 Rod View Post
What about the Pro Bass fishing....

Me? Nah. I'm just happy playing with my toys and sitting on the dock having a frosty.
You're occupying my fishing spot....

...and I don't care .

The elite (most endeavors) are naturally in the top 1% in raw talent, then dedicate themselves like no others with practice, etc. At the top, it's "between the ears", the mental aspect that separates the ones at the very top... jmo.

The top 1%... it's really not THAT special.... there are a bunch that do that with little to no effort on their part.... just on pure natural ability.
Old 08-25-2020, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Grappler

Garage
Most people will never reach the elite level which is why its called the elite level. I'd also say it depends on the sport. If Michael Jordan had the exact same work ethic and abilities but was trapped in a 5'5" body he would have ended up being a really good amateur playing at the local rec center on Wednesday nights.

1976 RSR Backdate (Turbo 3.2)
Old 08-25-2020, 09:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodsrsr View Post
Most people will never reach the elite level which is why its called the elite level. I'd also say it depends on the sport. If Michael Jordan had the exact same work ethic and abilities but was trapped in a 5'5" body he would have ended up being a really good amateur playing at the local rec center on Wednesday nights.
Naw....MJ would have been in the NBA... like Spud Webb or Mugsy Bogues were.... no schit

I was a b-ball nut...gym rat, and very average . Watching 5'3" Mugsy dominate an NBA game was a hoot

Last edited by KC911; 08-25-2020 at 09:54 AM..
Old 08-25-2020, 09:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)
Bill Stickers is innocent

At just about everything I've done, I've tried to be the worst house in a good neighborhood.

It's easy to fall into the trap of believing that you are better at something than you actually are. Wisdom is recognizing that there is true genius and real elite people in this world and the odds of you being one of them is incredibly small.

So, I'd rather surround myself with people that are much better than me - at whatever - and in all aspects of life (which very often isn't hard for me to find).

As long as I can reasonably hang in the good neighborhood, I'm doing a lot better than the schlub dominating the rec league.

Last edited by MikeSid; 08-25-2020 at 10:26 AM..
Old 08-25-2020, 10:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH85Carrera View Post
THIS!

Lots of people have ruined a great hobby they enjoyed by trying to do it for a living. Photography is a classic example. In the long year I worked at a professional photolab I explained to many new employees the "we do for a living want thousands of people stuck in rush hour traffic are trying to get home to go play in their home darkroom" and often they replied, we need them in here to help us!

Natural ability it the primary thing for any pro. And the honest desire to be the best they can be at the task. And it does take a lot of practice, at any skilled profession like pool or golf where it is just you against the ball and the little hole you want it to go into.
You touched on it here...the difference between individual sports like golf, pool, and bowling, and team sports like baseball, football, basketball. Probably takes a different personality for each. Then, of course, genetics are kinder to some than others.

It's heartbreaking to see the talents of the best in pool degrade as they age. Some simply go off the rails mentally...others, like Efren Reyes, accept gracefully and return to playing for fun.

Touche' on ruining a fun hobby by getting too serious about it. If pool ever stops being fun for me, I'll look for something else to do.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSid View Post
At just about everything I've done, I've tried to be the worst house in a good neighborhood.

It's easy to fall into the trap of believing that you are better at something than you actually are. Wisdom is recognizing that there is true genius and real elite people in this world and the odds of you being one of them is incredibly small.

So, I'd rather surround myself with people that are much better than me - at whatever - and in all aspects of life (which very often isn't hard for me to find).

As long as I can reasonably hang in the good neighborhood, I'm doing a lot better than the schlub dominating the rec league.
HOOT! I LIKE that...hey, all those elites NEED we who struggle along. Without us, they wouldn't be elites.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)
Registered

Back in high school, I excelled at the high jump, and won a few events, but just lacked the dedication to work on my form. At 5'10, I could dunk a basketball with my 38" vertical jump, and learned how to approach a high jump pit with the right steps, but just didn't work at it enough.

My coach did a little math, and figured out if I arched my back properly, I could have been jumping at Ohio State record level(6'9"-6'10"), but I never achieved over 6'2" while jumping. I didn't even opt to go to regionals, or districts because I found a job.
Old 08-25-2020, 10:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowbob View Post
Way back when, in high school when the world was black and white, my boss pleaded with me not to go to college but rather to stay and continue teaching, playing and managing the drum department of his music store. I was gigging weddings, practicing hours per day, listening to everything musical and well on my way in the music world.

Nope. I went with the odds.

Same with football. Coach wanted me to stay on the team so I did. But I didnít join the team the following year. Nope. No matter what, everybody else was getting bigger and bigger. Not moi.

And on and on.

No regrets, though. Instead of performing, I have cultivated a deep appreciation for those who do.

Interesting reflection.........one thing I do know is that when people are trying to direct you, especially when you're young, they often dont have your best interest at heart....
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 08-25-2020, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
i can now work the TV remote without even looking at it.

Old 08-25-2020, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: