Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
weekend wOrrier

Is it better to make one long instructional youtube video, or several smaller ones?

I'm making a video, but it's getting longer and longer.

One 20 minute video versus 5 or so shorter ones?

In an instructional context, is 20 minutes even long?

The longer video might turn people off due to length. It's advantage would be - a one stop shop.

Shorter ones (while easier to digest) can be harder to find, and some chapters seem to get lost in the "recommended videos"

I'm also thinking the shorter ones might work better for youtube 'metrics', but I don't know.

Is there a rule of thumb for this?

Thoughts?

Old 10-11-2020, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
I think it doesnt matter as much as it used to. If its over 10 minutes you have more options for ads. But if its only 20 minutes id do it in one. If its about 30 minutes id do it in two. Dont be afraid to edit it down or speed up parts that seem slow. I really dont know whats best but i do have 60k subs and iv been on since 2011 or so. I dont make much money so im probably doing it wrong
Old 10-11-2020, 02:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
weekend wOrrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by porsche930dude View Post
dont make much money so im probably doing it wrong
You need more squirrel feeder videos.

Ok- good to know I can do longer one- it's just after about 30 seconds of hearing my own voice, I get utterly bored.

..and I am up to 5 subscribers.. so watch out!
Old 10-11-2020, 03:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yeah i think most people think their videos are boring. I know i do. Maybe because we already know whats going to happen. DIY videos are great and you can get away with being boring as long as the lesson is good.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
The majority are much longer than they need to be to deliver the message.

Most people watch instructional videos like they read when looking for an answer, they scan for the one or two things in the process they need help with.

They don’t want to hear or need to know the fetzer valve they are researching was first invented in 1872 by Otto Widget while vacationing with his 4children and wife who he met in elementary school during a field trip to the botanical gardens where she told him Gardenias were her favorite flower.

Get, to, the, ****ing, point.

Edit judiciously, eliminate the fluff.

No one needs to see anyone trying 8 different sockets till they find the right size.

You get the point.
Old 10-11-2020, 07:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

My vote, based on your 20 min estimate, is for 1 video that covers the whole process. But that's based on being a consumer. If the video was longer, then the recommendation might be to go shorter. A 45 min or 60 min video might be to go with multiple videos.

As a content creator, I don't know. Since you only have 5 subscribers, I'm not sure how much it matters. You probably aren't racking thousands in from your videos right now anyway.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-12-2020, 05:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
I would break it up into logical operations, which will make it easier for viewers to review just the pieces the need. For example, a 911 engine rebuild video: one video for removing the engine, one video for disassembly, one video for inspection, another for installing crank, another for pistons & cylinders, etc. That way if someone wants to just review cam timing they don't have to wade through footage of how the first time you saw a 911 was when you were with your best friend Billy playing tiddlywinks behind the A&P and you were up 14-7 and you were wearing your brand new Converse all stars with red shoelaces that your mom bought for you with the $20 she found in the washing machine that was a weird green color but it matched the fridge where she kept the Otter pops, and cherry was your favorite flavor and...
Various VWs
Old 10-12-2020, 06:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Brew Master

Garage
I'd probably make it a two or even three part series so you can take them through each step without the viewer having to stop and rewind. It would also depend on what you're instructing the viewer on IMO and the complexity of what you're instructing on.
Old 10-12-2020, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
weekend wOrrier

It's amazing how long trying to edit something like this takes.
I set up a separate mic line to overdub commentary onto video, and for the life of me, cannot complete a sentence without pauses, ums, ahs, duhs, repeated words, phrases, etc...

I must have clipped out 5 minutes of myself just being a lousy speaker.
It's actually a really good exercise in learning how to improve speaking in general, and part of the reason I am doing it.

My pet peeve- someone making an instructional video who has never done it before. wth????????

I'm also trying to cut out any personal stuff mentioned above about cousin eddie, etc...

Old 10-12-2020, 06:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: