Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Used User

Anyone here troubleshoot circuit boards?

I have a little suitcase DC dual voltage TIG/Stick welder. It was in terrible condition when I bought it but all functions did work. I bought a very good foot pedal and made up a momentary switch for the torch handle.

This is basically what it looks like, it's a Thermal Arc 130 GTS. It has pulse and spot welding settings. Amazing little machine that cost someone serious cash when new.

One day I got it out after it sitting in storage for 6 months ("It ran when I parked it, I swear") and the TIG side was dead. Still welds stick, either polarity. I'm not getting the high frequency start, lift start, or anything with the switch turned to the TIG settings. I've tried any and all methods of TIG and it's dead, Jim.

So, I kept it because it's tiny little peanut but welds DC up to its max at 130 amps. I actually didn't know it was dual voltage until I finally deciphered the label.

It's old and it was made in Japan. When do you see that anymore? If I were to try and sell it I might as well donate it and take a hundred bucks deduction. However, they are rare. Most of the ones that come up are 185 to 300 amps and aren't cheap. New, the equivalent is 2K, or more.

If anyone is interested in having a bench project this winter, let me know by PM and I'll arrange for shipping both ways. I think you can see that I can't pay much because it's not worth anything, but it does weld nice and smooth when all functions are working. The stick (SMAW) function is the only reason it's still here as I could take this with me on a bicycle if I wanted to. Great little welder to sit in the truck tool box for that time when you have to glue two things together.

Lemme know and maybe I can trade one of my numerous and duplicate tools in exchange for a diagnosis.

TIA.

Old 10-14-2020, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Have you taken the cover off it and looked for anything amiss? With a bit of luck it may be a blown or corroded fuse. Look for dry/broken solders on the circuit board. Or a burnt out electrical component.
Old 10-14-2020, 06:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Platinum Member

Service manual, pretty thorough troubleshooting sections :

https://manualzz.com/doc/6320756/thermal-arc-150-gts-service-manual_-0-2493-
Old 10-14-2020, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Used User

I'm way ahead of the curve. The boards look great with no signs. I'm by far out my league on this but I thought relay as well. Thing is, IDK how to find or test them. I'm guessing the MOSFET's are not the problem since it does have power for stick welding. The switches all look good. Wires are intact.
Old 10-15-2020, 05:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Did you do any continuity tests on the switches?

Could be as simple as a bit of carbon build up or something off gassing and collecting on the contacts.
Old 10-15-2020, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Used User

Switches are good. Simple stuff I can do. One thing I know about switches is that unless there's major event they can go bad but will be at least be intermittent.

Hey, I'm willing to send it off even it I missed that. One thing switch wise is that the machine knows if the foot pedal, or remote, is attached. That has to be a function of a relay but foot pedal or no, it won't fire. I think at first I could get the high frequency arc to burn but it wasn't followed by any welding current. Now even the HF is not present.

If it's lost cause, I'll toss it. A very cool little welder and I was looking for the magic cure.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Garage
Hey Zeke, do you know Bob Ashlock?
He's a friend of mine who lives in Fullerton. He's the Tach-adapt inventor.
You might give him a shout to see if he'd be willing to look at it for you.
He's pretty damn good at electronics.

Bob@ashlocktech.com is his email.

Tell him I sent you. Might not help you, but at least he'll know who to be pissed at.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Used User

Thank you, Scott. I sent him an email. Hope it doesn't go to spam. My email is TigMcStick@******* and I don't why but it will trigger some filters.

Apparently Bob has a device for tachometers that is very interesting so I thought I'd promote this even though I haven't spoken to him.
Tachometer Adapter

Last edited by Zeke; 10-15-2020 at 09:26 AM..
Old 10-15-2020, 09:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Yes, his tach adapter has solved many a problem for people trying to get their tachs to work in other than 'stock' applications.

Old 10-15-2020, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: