Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
fastfredracing - Autel scanner thoughts

I need something newer than the MT2500 Red Brick which stops at 2005 but I don't think I need the schizzle of the recent one you bought.

Most know that I work on cars but it's honestly a retirement hang out doing what I like to do. Putting around fixing stuff with an emphasis on retirement.

Time marches on and cars become more advanced and I would like to be able to do the bi-directional thing with car modules and program some of them.

With respect to the Autel scanner, what range of spend should I focus on for study?

In short, I see $500/1,500/3,000 and above. There seems to be options in the ranges. My read so far (and gut feel) says $1,500 range as I get into some reasonable deep stuff. I like to do it, I just ain't fast.

Thoughts appreciated and please don't research anything. I just want a nudge.

Old 03-03-2021, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

The only other scanners I have any real experience with are Snap on. I have pretty much kept up with their latest and greatest for the last 20 years = Big money.
3 years ago , for the halibut, I got an Autel ms 906. I bought it through Advance auto for 1300.00
It did everything that my Snap on Scanner did , plus, quite a bit more for not even 1/4 of the money .
I think you will be very happy with one . I just updated to their newest ( I really should have kicked down my old one to you ) , and it is a really nice piece of equipment, came with a lab scope, and j box, for about 5k.
The older 906, that I mentioned, was quite a bit slower than my snap on, and its battery life was kind of short. My only other complaints would be , that it would sometimes lock up, or not recognize a vehicle , or take me a few tries to get in.
The new one is a freakin Mazeriti, damn things turbocharged . Really happy with it overall.
I would say, that the $1500.00 range scanners will do more than what you need. That is where I would get my feet wet first .
They may have better models now, but I think that 906 is only a bout 1 k now . Advance Auto Parts will same as cash you for 6 months also , if you have an account with them . Its a great way to buy lower priced items .
https://www.autel.com/c/www/mk3/3217.jhtml
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools

Last edited by fastfredracing; 03-03-2021 at 05:05 PM..
Old 03-03-2021, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Thank you. Appreciate that. I'll talk to my peeps at Advance tomorrow.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Fred, one of the scanners we have in the shop is a Autel Maxysis. Remote dongle, capable of passthrough programming. It has amazing coverage, but not quite dealer level on certain things. But it is a great tool. Pleasantly suprised with it. A nice compliment the 2 Snap-On, Autologic ($$$ but amazing), PIWIS we use.
997 S 4.0, Boxster 2.7 Race Car, Cayman S 3.8, 958 Cayenne TT, VW GTI 2.1 TSI, Mini Cooper S JCW, Cannondale Supersix EVO SRAM RED E-tap, Cannondale Slice SRAM RED E-tap, Giant Roam Hardtail- to ride with the wife.
Old 03-03-2021, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Still Doin Time

Autel is the new black. If you're looking to do more than what OBDII / enhanced- they are the leader in European vehicles including programming. Autologic was the king until a few years ago where they provided manufacturer level diagnostic and module programming. But the company was sold multiple times and support went out the window.
'77 Sportster Pro-Street Drag Bike w/93ci - Sold to collector
'72 Yamaha CS5 200 Twin - Sold to fellow Pelicanite
Old 03-04-2021, 04:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

I assume you want something 'generic' to cover multiple cat brands? I use the $20 Autel fro quick analysis and for 'friends', but I have dedicated VW and Volvo software for my cars.

I find the dedicated stuff is best, but for multiple car makes I think the mechanics here can offer the best advice.
Old 03-04-2021, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
The Mighty Pieholio

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1990C4S View Post
I assume you want something 'generic' to cover multiple cat brands?
Yes. Different cars in my shop but nothing remotely exotic except for some car nut friends. I do need more functionality.

One guy shop, say three quarters of a guy, and slow. The volume simply does not surface the need for a real shop's diagnostic tool spend.

I'll bounce it off these guys after studying. Interesting conversations I've had in the last couple of days. E.g., "Just get a laptop interface and buy the flash program from the manufacturer" (to program modules). Well, how do you do that?

I need to hole up and read.
Old Today, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Our Maxisys 908 with the pass through is great. But our Autologic still has more detailed diag/programming on some vehicles. We have found the support from Autologic to still be very good. Others may have different experiences.

The Autel is "reverse engineered" or copied protocol. The Autologic is based of Manufacturer protocol in most cases. Same as the Snap On.

However, that is what allows the Autel to give us great diag/info on Ferraris and Lambos that the Autologic can't. It has amazing capabilities and offers good value as long as you understand the limitations. It is also quicker setting oil level on later model Porsches without digging out the cumbersome PIWIS when doing an oil service.

Cheers

997 S 4.0, Boxster 2.7 Race Car, Cayman S 3.8, 958 Cayenne TT, VW GTI 2.1 TSI, Mini Cooper S JCW, Cannondale Supersix EVO SRAM RED E-tap, Cannondale Slice SRAM RED E-tap, Giant Roam Hardtail- to ride with the wife.
Old Today, 05:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: