Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
do you look over your shoulder to check your blind spot?

just got out of a state mandated drivers safety course. the instructor gave out some good info. one thing he said is; the state of california has implemented a mandatory driving test for licsence renewals. he said it will eventually hit all of us in cali.
75% failure rate. he showed us his card where he is an approved test giver. the main reasons for failing us are the california rolling stop, and not looking over our shoulders when we pull away from curbs and changing lanes. i never do, when i change lanes any more. i am effed.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:35 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Non Compos Mentis

Yeah, I look over my shoulder.

Rolling stops? I live outside a little town with strict law enforcement. In town, a four-way stop means stop, wave, and let the other guy go first, while smiling nicely.

Outside city limits, a four-way stop means downshift to second on your way through.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Driving a Boxster means looking over your shouder. A couple of times when I had confidence there was no one in the next land and hadn't been for a part of a mile, I had a close call. My fault entirely.

I look over my shoulder in most cars unless the mirrors are much better than most.
Old 02-12-2005, 08:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Gosh, Vash, it almost sounds to me like it's time to learn how to drive. Looking over my shoulder has stopped me from getting creamed more times than I can count -- and not just in this state -- I've done a lot of interstate driving. The habits they're pushing here are both beneficial and easy to learn.

Dan

PS -- OTOH, I'm having a hard time imagining California with the "California Stop." Bizarre...
Old 02-12-2005, 09:09 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Semper drive!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rcecale Send a message via MSN to rcecale Send a message via Yahoo to rcecale
Have to agree with Dan here. It's a must!!!

A bit further....one of my pet-peeves while driving is when other drivers like to "hang-out" in my blind spot. I check there quite a bit, even when I don't plan to change lanes, so if I see someone there, I'll hit the turn signal to that side. If they're a couteous driver, they tend to back up. But usually, they'll speed up and stake a claim on the spot right next to me...either way works...plus I have the bonus of knowing what kind of driver is near me.

Randy
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum
Old 02-12-2005, 09:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I always look too.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Just thinking out loud

An optometrist can help you with peripheral vision. I always look. Learn the boundaries of the vehicle first. A glance doesn't mean being sure. Get used to seeing a$$clowns moving around, while looking over both shoulders. My eye contacts hinder peripheral vision, I only wear them at night while diving.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:50 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
time wasting tosser

ALWAYS!!!! But I ride motorcycles as well, so being an alert driver/rider is life or death. Its disgusting to me to hear you say that you don't. Do you know how many motorcyclists get seriously injured each year by some clod driving an SUV(or any other cage) that was too busy to turn their head and check to see if somebody was there? It literally takes a half second to look. Try it!
http://www.njsbmwr.org/
Old 02-12-2005, 10:16 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to vash
before you guys hang a bad driver sign on my neck .
i am not saying do you turn without checking your blindspot? only an idiot would do that.
easy with the assumptions highlander. although there are plenty of guys in my bike group that wear the same "motorcycling badge of courage" as you do. (these are the same guys that ride like racers, and have great skills, AND horrible road courtesy.) i have been riding a motorcycle forever and in my opinion, motorcycles look over the shoulders the least. i think motorcycling has taught me the most defensive stuff, and maybe some of my bad habits.

so all you great drivers, you can see your blind spot by looking over your shoullders? no campershells, vans, toolboxes or anything in your trucks, and cars? all my vehicles need me to look by moving my head and sweeping the view with the mirror. big rigs guys do this.

so if you are moving faster than regular traffic, say pulling past a slower vehicle, you STILL LOOK? even though you know you have driven past it and see it in your rear view? sorry my cynical personalty is showing up. and i have been paying attention to everyone driving me around, people rely on the mirrors alot more that physically looking over.

Last edited by vash; 02-12-2005 at 11:40 AM..
Old 02-12-2005, 11:33 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Licensed User

I always look. Sometimes I look twice just to make sure I was paying attention the first time.
Old 02-12-2005, 11:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
I always look twice also.

Quote:
so if you are moving faster than regular traffic, say pulling past a slower vehicle, you STILL LOOK? even though you know you have driven past it and see it in your rear view?
Only on the interstate when I can actually have a little bit of trust in my own spacial awareness do I not turn completely around to check. In town, though, there are too many places where some schmuck could pull onto the road and be hanging out in that critical area.
Old 02-12-2005, 01:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
drag racing the short bus

No. In the Porsche, I avoid looking over my shoulder. In my Mountaineer it's a much different story because of its height.

For one I think it's HIGHLY dangerous to take your eyes for one second off the front of the car - this is the reason for rear view mirrors. I rarely, if at all, look over my shoulder to the right, and never do it when looking over my left shoulder. It's more likely, at least in rush hour traffic, that you will rear-end the car in front of you as people are so sudden to brake while in traffic.

The Mountaineer is, of all things, harder to see out of than the Porsche. It's high, has huge pillars - particularly A pillars, and overall has a poor ergonomic design for sight. By far for outward vision, the Porsche is the best car I've been in. Hondas are a close second because of their large windshields.

Anyway, I think looking over the shoulder is the easiest way to get into an accident. If one feels in peril to make a lane change and feels the only way to do it safely is to look over their shoulder, they're probably better off waiting until the lanes beside them are clear before instead taking their eyes off the front end.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Unconstitutional Patriot

I don't look over my shoulder when driving the Dodge 2500. The truck is too large to see everything with a quick glance. I must use mirrors. I agree with dd74. I find it more dangerous to take my eyes off the road ahead.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
What?

Garage
Never. That is what adjustable mirrors are for.
M5 the BEAST!
CRV-Kid car
Odyssey -keeping the family entertained
SCWDP / GruppeB
Old 02-12-2005, 04:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
How many of you who never look over your shoulder because that one second is going to cause such a problem drink any beverage, eat any food, talk on a cell phone, or engage in any other activity other than driving?

It doesn't really even take a full second, just a quick turn there and back to see if there's anything back there. Unless you have some ridiculous God-awful hand-eye coordination and will jerk the wheel in the direction your head moves, it'll probably be okay. Being such safe drivers anyhow, you're probably not going to be less than 1/2 second behind the car (hopefully 2+ seconds), so that split-second of not focusing straight ahead might not be the end of the world.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

I'd bet a majority of drivers do not adjust their side-mirrors properly. It is possible to eliminate almost every bit of the "blind spots" on most vehicles if your side-mirrors are positioned correctly.
Simply put, if your mirrors are set right, you shouldn't be able to see a car in your rear-view mirror and either side-mirror at the same time. And you shouldn't be able to see the side of your car in either of your side-mirrors.
Having said all that, I still look over my shoulder. It's just the smart thing to do.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Unconstitutional Patriot

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanthompson
How many of you who never look over your shoulder because that one second is going to cause such a problem drink any beverage, eat any food, talk on a cell phone, or engage in any other activity other than driving?
bryanthompson, have you ever driven a larger vehicle?
jurgen
Old 02-12-2005, 06:25 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to bluebullet
I do it all the time. People around here have a nasty habit of being invisible when you look over. You put your turn signal on, and look over again and suddenly there is someone next to you.

plus my passenger side mirror isnt the 'objects in mirror are closer than they appear' one. Its so blind I can only start to see cars about 3-4 lengths back.

2007 BMW 335i
Old 02-12-2005, 06:36 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

I'd say I look about 99% of the time.. only time I don't is when I know for sure there is nobody there. Even when I'm passing a car, I check my mirror to see if I'm well enough ahead of him/her to change lanes.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Super Moderator

Garage
I set my side mirrors *way* out so that I can see someone right next to me and just behind me. The rear view picks up the rest.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Old 02-13-2005, 12:10 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: