Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
DRM - RIAA kicks it up a notch

Hard-core computer guys will find this interesting, the rest of you risk your eyes glazing over.

Synopsis: record companies are bundling DRM software on CD's, but not telling you about it, and you couldn't remove it even if you knew it was there. This s/w embeds itself in the Windows OS & registry and hides itself in the same fasion that the virus/malware/spyware guys do, and it needlessly sucks up CPU from then on. When the author disabled the malware (spade == spade), it disabled the CD device.

So if you buy a legit CD, and try to play it on your PC, you risk hosing your OS. This exploit even set itself up to run in Safe Mode.

http://www.sysinternals.com/blog/2005/10/sony-rootkits-and-digital-rights.html

Various VWs
Old 11-02-2005, 11:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to bryanthompson Send a message via AIM to bryanthompson Send a message via Yahoo to bryanthompson
People don't pay for overpriced cds when all they want is one song. iTunes is proving that people WILL pay for music instead of steal it, if it's priced reasonably and made into a simple process. There are enough viruses (virii?) on p2p networks that it's just easier to buy the song off of iTunes, rather than risk it.

I didn't see anything in the article about this, but does that DRM method block people from dropping the songs onto their ipods?
Old 11-02-2005, 11:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

So what's the workaround? Other than having an obsolete old PC that you just use for ripping CDs.
Old 11-02-2005, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
B58/732

Quote:
Originally posted by RallyJon
So what's the workaround? Other than having an obsolete old PC that you just use for ripping CDs.
Use a Mac.
Old 11-02-2005, 12:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
Quote:
Originally posted by BlueSkyJaunte
Use a Mac.
Yup. Or Linux.
Various VWs
Old 11-02-2005, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

The great part about this (its been on slashdot twice now) is that the malware keeps you (and anything else) from seeing files wiht $sys$ as the first part of the file name. So now virus writers and skript kiddies can call their packages $sys$nastything.exe and it won't be detectable. Also, some cheats for various online games like World of Warcraft are using it for the same purpose.

(This post proudly made from a Linux box. No penguins were harmed in the creation of this message)
Old 11-02-2005, 12:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Oh, and widebody911 - some of us run Linux on our macs
Old 11-02-2005, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Registered

Well maybe it is time that I learn how to use linux.
01 996 TT -
09 Audi A4 Avant - daily driver
Old 11-02-2005, 02:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
B58/732

www.knoppix.org
Old 11-02-2005, 02:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to FrayAdjacent911
Ok... I'm not going to rip new CDs in Windows anymore. Gonna throw Fedora on the free space I left on my machine at home when I installed a bigger drive.

69 911T Targa - "Stinky"
2001 Boxster "Stahlgewehr"
Old 11-02-2005, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Banned

BUSTED!

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/1700AP_Sony_Copy_Protection.html
Old 11-03-2005, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thank goodness. I didn't want to buy a Mac.

Old 11-03-2005, 05:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: