Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Re: Lousy day - and it's not over! (Work rant)

Quote:
Originally posted by Z-man
So half the staff was eliminated, but the work has increased ever since then. And they will not fill her position with someone else. Why? The company has decided to freeze all open positions to save money.
Hey Z
I see things are the same on your side of the street as well. I can't wait till this whole thing is over. We're all miserable here right now

Old 04-04-2006, 12:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

Garage
z...did you, umm..try restarting the computer first?
ryan
1974 911 2.7 Coupe w/sunroof 9114102267 (sold) 1974 914 2.0 (sold)
Old 04-04-2006, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Moneyguy1
Older than that..FORTRAN and PL-1 !!!

(working from decks of punch cards in the late 60s..)

The jobs would line up and be run at night. On one, which I remember was a simple modulus of elasticity program, the engineer forgot to put an "end of run" card. Thing ran for hours. In real life, what would have been a bending problem would have been a coil!! Held up other jobs and led to a 36 hour marathon. Thank heavens for modern computers!!
Bob,

Also a Fortran/Cobol guy here, trained on the old IBM 360 using punch cards and jumper boards.

MS is a pile of doggy crap on many things. Some of their networking and RAID issues is unbelieveable...
2013 Jag XF, 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 2010 Jaguar XF (fast touring car), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 04-04-2006, 05:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Quote:
Originally posted by Joeaksa
[B]Also a Fortran/Cobol guy here, trained on the old IBM 360 using punch cards and jumper boards./B]
They renamed the 360 Z/os a few years ago. My employer is a major contributor to my university, so I learned IBM Cobol (though did HP Cobol on the HP3000 when I graduated). I now code in Aion.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 04-04-2006, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Shoulda given in and banged your colleague that was 'harassing' you. Then she'd still be there to help you.

Also, unless you're making the absolutely unattainable megabucks, you SERIOUSLY need a new job,

ianc

"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79
Old 04-04-2006, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by ianc
Shoulda given in and banged your colleague that was 'harassing' you. Then she'd still be there to help you.

Also, unless you're making the absolutely unattainable megabucks, you SERIOUSLY need a new job,

ianc
EDIT: Dude get real. The lady that was harassing me was a middle aged woman with a family. I was in no way attracted to her, and neither was she to me. Um, there are other forms of harassment besides what you are thinking. It was more like a constant viscous attacking - she was downright venomous. Her anger over stupid thing was downright scary. She would yell at me constantly. In front of my boss.

-Z.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 04-04-2006, 09:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to shrouded Send a message via AIM to shrouded
Not a regular poster here, but I had to share my sympathies with you. We're at the beginning of a year+ long project to pull all PCs out of our medical facilities nationwide, and replace them with Citrix clients coming back into our datacenter. We're doing this without testing... just taking the word of the consultants brought in to build the solution that it will all work. You can guess how well that has played out through our pilot sites so far...

You had me flinching when you talked about MS clustering. I'm officially a Windows-based sysadmin. We are moving all file & print services enterprise-wide to blade servers attached to a SAN I just got run through training on. The kicker? Its all going to be based on MS clustering. I know that one of these days the OS will break, and it won't be pretty... *shudder*

I'm drinking a beer for you tonight.
Old 04-04-2006, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by shrouded
You had me flinching when you talked about MS clustering. I'm officially a Windows-based sysadmin. We are moving all file & print services enterprise-wide to blade servers attached to a SAN I just got run through training on. The kicker? Its all going to be based on MS clustering. I know that one of these days the OS will break, and it won't be pretty... *shudder*

I'm drinking a beer for you tonight.
MS Clustering is just not robust enough to work well in a SAN environment. Sadly, the whole purpose of MS Clustering is to share disks in (drum roll please) a SAN environment.

Every time we've had one of the servers take a hard hit, it has been brutal to get things back up. Often the problem is that the server that crashed put a reserve on a LUN in the storage device. The storage device will not release the reserve unless the original server comes back and says it can. So while the other server in the cluster knows that the crashed server isn't up (via the heartbeat ethernet connection) it can't see the disk since the storage device is waiting for the crashed server to respond. (Not bad explanation of MS for a mainframe guy, eh?! )

I think the answer lies on the server level - in the event that a server in a cluster is lost, the healthy server should be able to mimick the signature (server name and WWPN) of the bad server and indicate to the storage device that the reserve is no longer needed.

Currently, the only way we were able to resolve the reserve was to bring up the corrupt server (rebuild to op sys) and get it to communicate with the storage device, afterwhich, it took several attempts to get the two servers to not only communicate with each other, but to recognize all the disks attached to it.

Ok, too much techno babble, but someday shrouded may need this information!

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 04-05-2006, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

Garage
is emc still the major player in the data storage arena? at least on the hardware side? i used to work as a recruiter in the data storage only field (storbyte.com). unfortunately, back in 2002, so many of the software side companies were falling off of the map..either being bought out or disappearing altogether. i had storage guy resumes running out my ears and nobody was hiring. final straw was a new-hire requisition i had for a sales guy at sun was pulled after end-of-fiscal year meetings..sun decided to not only freeze hiring, but actually let people go as well..there went a guranteed 30k in commissions out the window. sun was my largest client. if i'd only gotten the guy placed the month before, i might still be in business.
ryan
Old 04-05-2006, 08:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Dude get real.
OK, I was kidding on the banging part.

I wasn't on the other though. If your job is making you that unhappy, you should be looking for another one real hard. 10 years down the road you will be a pretty unhappy camper when you look back, even if you are raking it in.

I also am a sysadmin. We have a Dell-branded EMC FC4700 that has been nothing but headaches. My experience is the opposite of other people's here though. We have four MS clusters: Exchange, File, Financial, and SQL. The MS clusters NEVER screw up; it is always the EMC that is causing me headaches. More than once I've been here to 3-4 AM cursing them.

We will be going with Netapp next time.

ianc

"I will tell you there is a big difference between driving money and driving blood, sweat and tears." - PorscheGuy79
Old 04-05-2006, 09:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)
Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
Quote:
EDIT: Dude get real. The lady that was harassing me was a middle ages woman with a family. I was in no way attracted to her, and neither was she to me.
Sometimes you have to take one for the team and do things you don't like. For instance, I once had to change the radiator in a 944...
Various VWs
Old 04-05-2006, 09:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally posted by widebody911
Sometimes you have to take one for the team and do things you don't like. For instance, I once had to change the radiator in a 944...
I would much rather shove a couple of ferrets down my trousers than take one for the team like that.
-------------------------------------------
ianc: While I have gone through some difficult times here at work, when things settle down, it's not as bad. Unfortunately, with the CEO announcing that more layoffs will happen soon, the atmosphere in the office is very strained, to say the least. I love doing what I do (Storage admin), and I love working for a car company. (Cause I'm a car nut). It's just that sometimes I get overwhelmed at work, and sometimes people take their personal agendas to far at work. IT's just work. I only work here so I can have enough $$ to be able to play when I'm not here!
Quote:
ianc
We will be going with Netapp next time.
As part of our SAN upgrade proposal currently on the block is getting a Netapp device for UNIX systems. Looks like some nice technology. And I believe it can work alongside Tivoli TSM.
-------------------------------------------
bigchillcar: Yep, EMC is still a big player in the storage field, but IBM has really taken the lead on SAN devices, IMHO. There are other storage companies popping up too - one that looks promising is a company called Xiotech. If we weren't so committed to IBM storage, I'd have these guys in here to at least demo a box. It is interesting how the storage field was shrinking a couple of years ago, but now, with the advent of SAN infastructures, it has really grown. All good stuff!

Now, where can I find a couple of ferrets?!?
-Z-man.

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 04-05-2006, 10:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

Too big to fail

Garage
Send a message via AIM to widebody911 Send a message via Yahoo to widebody911
Quote:

I would much rather shove a couple of ferrets down my trousers than take one for the team like that.
Absolutely, which is why I prefer air-cooled vehicles...
Various VWs
Old 04-05-2006, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
There are other storage companies popping up too - one that looks promising is a company called Xiotech.
this just kills me..another one of the very few big storage companies where i'd managed to obtain a contract from as an 'approved vendor'...xiotech. matter of fact, for two years after i shut down, i still received a standardized contract from them in the mail. if only i could have lived a little longer on my credit cards and weathered the data storage storm. damn.
ryan
Old 04-05-2006, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)
Formerly bb80sc

I have to ask.....why in the he11 would they use RAID5 for an OS? It's slow as heck anyway, then degrades exponentially on a disk fialure/rebuild. It's ok for a read-only data archive, but not for an OS.... RAID 0+1 is your friend

At my last job, we lost 35TB of data, yes, lost it, when two disks of the same RSS (redundant stripe set) group failed and the storage unit (HP EVA 5000) forgot about it's disk group, RAID level, and disk members..... THAT was a long day, er uh, week! Oh, and HP said it was impossible for that to happen. We got the ol' "one in a million" comment......

I feel for you man!

-B

2017 Mazda CX5
Old 04-07-2006, 10:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: