Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Ford 2n, 8n, 9n: can someone please explain why...

... I don't have one yet?

Seriously.

Here's my meandering trail of justification. I was looking around at plow setups for my 4runner, because we typically pay $3-400/ year in plowing and they beat the heck out of my driveway. Anyway, a decent plow setup costs $1500, maybe $1000 used if I'm lucky.

Then, I'd have a plow on the front of the 4runner all winter, a PITA and it makes the truck a bit less usable as a DD. Now that I'm trying to move Mrs Notfarnow into the 4runner in the winter, that'd be even crazier.

Plus the fact that a plow beats the heck out of a truck. So, looks like even if I could find a plow for $1500, I'm not likely to put one on the 4runner now.

What about a snowblower? Well, a decent one is $800 or so, and to be honest I can't stand the things. I see my neighbor out there at 6 am with a constant gust of snow blowing back on his face... no thanks. I'll go to extraordinary lengths to save a buck, but that has NO appeal. I'll send my pregnant wife out to shovel before I schlep around behind a snowblower.

So then, perusing the classifieds I come across this:

Ford 8n, new 12v electrics, new hydraulics, engine rebuilt 3 years ago. Snow plow & snow chains, PTO $1300.

If I look around online, I see 4-5 within a 3 hr drive for $1200-2000. Some with plows, some with lawn mowing attachments, some even with wood splitters.

Seriously, I am at a loss. I can't think of any reason why I shouldn't have one. In the spring, I was going to build a simple pole construction outbuilding for drying firewood all summer. A ford 9n, 2n, 8n could sit in the shelter all winter.

Plus I could take it up to the cottage all summer, for pulling logs, taking out the docks, and -more importantly- tractor rides. Then I'd bring it back to the house for winter plowing.

I'm not going to buy one right away because I've already resigned to paying for plowing this winter. But seriously, is there any reason why I SHOULDN'T get one of these?!?
+ a whole bunch of boats

Last edited by notfarnow; 11-16-2008 at 05:51 PM..
Old 11-16-2008, 05:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Parrothead member

I would but it even if i didnt have a use for it!
Old 11-16-2008, 05:38 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
one of gods prototypes

Garage
Send a message via AIM to bell Send a message via Yahoo to bell
my dad has an old ford tractor he uses at his camp in norther pa, he has some different attachments which'll plow, grade, rake, knock down trees etc, he paid around 1500 for it and has more than gotten his use out of it.
i'd say go for it if it's mechanically sound and you have the room for it
Old 11-16-2008, 05:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yeah making room for it will be the trick. I already have a wood shed/shelter planned for the spring, tucked in around the back of the lot. If I make it in such a way that it'd serve as a tractor shelter in the winter, I think it could pass the Mrs Notfarnow test.

If I could get one with a mower and use it up at the cottage all summer, I'd be a freakin' hero.

Really, I don't think I can afford to NOT have one.

Anyone know if they all have PTOs? Is the 8n the best of the lot?
+ a whole bunch of boats
Old 11-16-2008, 05:59 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Double Trouble

Do you really need that much tractor? I see them all over the place here for $1500 - 2500. I, like you was tired of shoveling and or paying fpr plowing. I did a LOT of research and I decided on this. It weighs in at 1/2 ton.

Did a little up grading, and expanded the hydraulics so I could run angle and lift blade in front and run a log splitter off the 3 point in the rear.

Now this is a 330 / 3 cyl. diesel but the 318 gas model comes factory with all the hydros I added. I wanted the diesel engine so I had to add the upgrades. A nice 318 can be had for $1500. and is small and much more reliable than the Fords. The Ford is really too much tractor for me and I have 2 acres with 300 feet of driveway.
You can add a rear PTO on any of the 300 series too. The 400 series is a little more tractor and a little more money. All the parts are available from Deere, a BIG plus.

With 48" belly mower.

With Dual Dales!

How did the dogs like their sandwiches friday?

Last edited by targa911S; 11-16-2008 at 06:27 PM..
Old 11-16-2008, 06:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
i'm just a cook

a bit more spendy when you find one , but there is no substitute.

Old 11-16-2008, 06:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Double Trouble

A schlepper wagon.......I love it!
Old 11-16-2008, 06:26 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by targa911S View Post
Do you really need that much tractor?
Nah. Don't need a sailboat either.

I just can't help it though. I have always loved the look of ford "n" series tractors... just never figured I could justify it. But boy, if I could plow with one in the winter I sure could justify it. Even better to have it up at the cottage all summer... tons of fun tractor things to do up there.

A friend of mine just bought a JD very similar to yours, with a front end loader, belly mower & a whole host of accessories. His is a diesel too. Great little rig.

When it really comes down to it though, I am just a sucker for an 8n.

Quote:
Originally Posted by targa911S View Post
How did the dogs like their sandwiches friday?
You know, I though afterwards that I really should have taken pictures. They went NUTS. They get that a couple times a year, and they never know why, but they just go BONKERS. Chance especially... that guy had a hard life before we got him so it's great to spoil him. He's showing his age, and had a real tough year, so no day with him is taken for granted. Anyhow, I hope Big Henry was perched on a cloud somewhere watching that scene... it was hilarious
+ a whole bunch of boats
Old 11-16-2008, 06:44 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Flathead v8 swap kits for $1000 ?!?!
http://www.staufferv8.com/v8conversion.html

What's a flathead v8 worth nowadays? One of my favorite automotive sounds, ever.
+ a whole bunch of boats
Old 11-16-2008, 06:49 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to BlueSideUp
My dad has owned an 8N and a 9N. I can't remember what he has right now but he uses it non stop on his 5 acre property. In the winter he uses a box on the back to plow the driveway. I think he said the 8N can be a little light to push heavy snow with a plow but works well with the box.

I can ask him for any gotchas as he's been through his a few times. Do you canucks have heavy wet snow or dry snow?
Old 11-16-2008, 08:41 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hi Jake
I have an 8N and love it, I keep it in a barn on my property in the country. They are easy to maintain and all the parts are still available on line or through New Holland. These tractors were made to be outside so leaving it out with just a tarp over it for the winter won't hurt it. I use a hammer knife mower on mine with no problem. The biggest draw back with an 8N is that the PTO is not live, so when you push in the clutch the PTO stops.
These tractors are not toys, if not careful the tractor could flip over in the blink of an eye, so the deserve a lot of respect.
At that price I would buy that tractor
Steve
here's mine.
Old 11-17-2008, 01:24 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

We just held an estate sale for my grandparents (grandmother passed back in Sept., grandfather 3 years ago - both 88). My grandfather had an old Ford red-belly ('47-'48) that's been sitting out in the weather for four years (no battery), and needs a LOT of TLC. We had not intended to sell it "just yet"), mostly dealing with "house stuff", but it attracted lots of interest, so we sold it for $1000 (including a finish mower). Sounds as if you're looking at some good deals...go for it !

Last edited by KC911; 11-17-2008 at 02:38 AM..
Old 11-17-2008, 02:31 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Bandwidth AbUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfarnow View Post
Yeah making room for it will be the trick. I already have a wood shed/shelter planned for the spring, tucked in around the back of the lot. If I make it in such a way that it'd serve as a tractor shelter in the winter, I think it could pass the Mrs Notfarnow test.

If I could get one with a mower and use it up at the cottage all summer, I'd be a freakin' hero.

Really, I don't think I can afford to NOT have one.

Anyone know if they all have PTOs? Is the 8n the best of the lot?
If you're worried about where to put it, why not just buy a big tarp like steve185 suggested, and cover it this winter. Next spring it can live in the wood shed/shelter. Come on, get busy, go get it!
Old 11-17-2008, 02:49 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSideUp View Post
In the winter he uses a box on the back to plow the driveway. I think he said the 8N can be a little light to push heavy snow with a plow but works well with the box.

I can ask him for any gotchas as he's been through his a few times. Do you canucks have heavy wet snow or dry snow?
We get some really wet snow. I had a rinky-dink ATV plow setup on my Suzuki Samurai, and the wet snow bent it all up in about a year.

The "box" on your dad's 8n, is that a box with weight like sand, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve185 View Post
Hi Jake
I have an 8N and love it, I keep it in a barn on my property in the country. They are easy to maintain and all the parts are still available on line or through New Holland. These tractors were made to be outside so leaving it out with just a tarp over it for the winter won't hurt it. I use a hammer knife mower on mine with no problem. The biggest draw back with an 8N is that the PTO is not live, so when you push in the clutch the PTO stops.
Great info, thanks Steve. I was actually in Moncton yesterday helping a friend lug woodworking tools. There were two 8Ns in & around Moncton that I coulda looked at, but I am trying to resist until spring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Richards View Post
If you're worried about where to put it, why not just buy a big tarp like steve185 suggested, and cover it this winter. Next spring it can live in the wood shed/shelter. Come on, get busy, go get it!
Left to my own devices, that is exactly what I'd do... but Mrs Notfarnow has an aversion to having things in the yard covered by tarps. Also has an aversion to me dragging home contraptions and conveyences. Add the fact that I just dragged home a $200 VW so I could supplement my collection of VW diesel engines, and that she just discovered a small boat trailer that I thought I had nicely hidden behind the garage. I'm on a short lead right now.

I will have to have a tidy little home set up before I even float the idea.
+ a whole bunch of boats
Old 11-17-2008, 03:40 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
FBHO

I have a '41 9N that I use mainly for pulling a 6' finish mower with. I also have a back blade for moving snow/dirt/gravel with. They do "OK" plowing snow, but they are not at good as a 4X4 truck with a plow because once the drive is covered in a base of packed snow/ice and you have frozen side banks from previous snowfalls, it does not work all that great. Tire chains and additional weight help.

I used mine for at least 5-6 winters plowing my two driveways and a neighbors and they will do the job, just not always ideally depending on conditions.

The numbers are related to the year the version of tractor initially was built. 9N's started in 193"9". The number changed to 2N in 194"2" and then 8N in 194"8". The 2N's came with steel wheels and magneto ignition to make them cheaper during WW2, but basically they were the same as a 9N in all other aspects. The 8N's have a few insignificant improvements that I can't even tell you about off the top of my head. All models pretty much do the same thing.

Men do not quit playing because they get old.... They get old because they quit playing.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:58 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Tim Walsh
I've used one before, but not for anything strenuous. It was property of the local sports association. It was used hard and put away wet but never batted an eyelash. It's been a few years so I can't say too much, except I remember there were no syncos which made clutching into top gear interesting.

Plowing snow might be a little interesting as Tim said, traction is good around here in the clay and sand, ice and snow on the other hand, I would expect would be a completely different story.
"Dave, hit the brakes, but don't look like your htting the brakes...what? I DON'T KNOW, BRAKE CASUAL!!!" dtw's thoughts after nearly rear ending a SHP officer
Old 11-17-2008, 04:14 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Double Trouble

They can be easily converted to flat 8's.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:28 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Slumlord

An open tractor as a plow? In eastern Canada? I would pay the guy with the truck thank-you. And I would watch from the comfort of my heated house.

I would rather buy a bob-cat, or small backhoe. Something enclosed. With heat.

Buy the tractor by all means. But find another way to justify it, unless Mrs. NFN has an urge to be the winter driver.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:48 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Now available:  101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by notfarnow View Post
We get some really wet snow. I had a rinky-dink ATV plow setup on my Suzuki Samurai, and the wet snow bent it all up in about a year.

The "box" on your dad's 8n, is that a box with weight like sand, etc?
I think he was referring to a box blade. Used for grading and stuff, but great for light snowfall.
Old 11-17-2008, 04:57 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
FBHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche_monkey View Post
An open tractor as a plow? In eastern Canada? I would pay the guy with the truck thank-you. And I would watch from the comfort of my heated house.

I would rather buy a bob-cat, or small backhoe. Something enclosed. With heat.

Buy the tractor by all means. But find another way to justify it, unless Mrs. NFN has an urge to be the winter driver.
I live in an open rural farming area and the drifting occurs nightly whether it snows or not, my 9N did the job and I simply bundle up to plow just as I would when snowmobiling or any other outdoor hobby. Not a big deal. I now use my 4x4 ATV with a front mount plow as the four wheel drive really helps even though it is a smaller vehicle.

My 9N is a backup now. I also have a Bobcat which is nice for removing BIG drifts, but the 9N and the ATV are both better than using the bucket on the Bobcat for normal plowing of my fairly long driveways that I plow.

Men do not quit playing because they get old.... They get old because they quit playing.
Old 11-17-2008, 05:31 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)
Old 11-17-2008, 05:31 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: