Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Driver

Garage
Steve McQueen's Allard

I was at an automotive museum on Cape Cod today. One of the cars they had was an Allard J2X once owned by Steve McQueen. I'm no McQueen expert, but I had never heard that he raced an Allard. Of course, a couple Allard websites mention he was an owner of one of these storied race cars. But even those sites didn't have much real information. Anyone have any real history on this?

Old 10-04-2010, 06:56 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Vinyl Pimp

American power plants, limited amount of rides made. Boutique marque that did pretty well until the big money came along in the late 50s.

Looks like Leno has one.
www.nbdgraphics.com ** also on FaceBook, there are NO BAD DAYS!
WORLDWIDE SHIPPING AVAILABLE!!!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Vinyl Pimp

Odd....looks like they are still being made, kinda like the Shelby. Vintage Roadster - Allard Motor Works J2X MKII - Vintage sports car

BUT....not by the original Allard, IF I read it right.....

From the website.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Is there a direct family relationship between Roger Allard (Allard Motor Works) and Sydney Allard (Allard Motor Company)?
There are no direct family ties between these two entrepreneurs. Since the Allard name is relatively uncommon, and that it has its roots in France (where Roger Allard’s roots are from), it is quite likely that there is some convergence going back a number of generations. The Allard Motor Company (AMC) ceased its vehicle production in 1959 and today, produces high performance turbochargers, intercoolers, and aluminium motor products. Their last production vehicle dates back to 1959. Currently, there are no formal links between AMW and AMC.
www.nbdgraphics.com ** also on FaceBook, there are NO BAD DAYS!
WORLDWIDE SHIPPING AVAILABLE!!!!!
Old 10-04-2010, 07:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I was never interested in the originals, but a small racing group licensed the Allard family name for badging a private Group C entry in the early 90's and produced one of the most radical Group C racers ever:

Slight derailment from thread intention, but I couldn't resist a chance to post that pic..
Daily Driver: '06 Lotus Elise #0005 -- Hers: '93 Mercedes 600 SL V12 R129
Bikes: '00 MV Agusta F4 S #142 -- '03 Suzuki DRZ400S
Project: '72 Porsche 914-4 racecar
'00 Boxster S - sold - Multiple 944-series cars- all sold.
Old 10-04-2010, 08:01 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Run smooth, run fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noah930 View Post
One of the cars they had was an Allard J2X once owned by Steve McQueen.

I'm no McQueen expert, but I had never heard that he raced an Allard.

Of course, a couple Allard websites mention he was an owner of one of these storied race cars.
Maybe he didn't race it. Maybe he just owned it and drove it on the street.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:27 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Driver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel n Toe View Post
Maybe he didn't race it. Maybe he just owned it and drove it on the street.
That's what I'm asking. I know what an Allard is. But what I don't recall is hearing about Steve McQueen ever owning an Allard. I've heard about an XKSS, various Porsches (obviously), motorcycles, Ferraris, etc. But never an Allard. But the plaque next to the car described this as one of his. Just wondering if anyone knows any competition history (track-sanctioned or of the Mulholland racing variety) for McQueen in this Allard.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:05 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Never heard of an Allard/McQueen connection. BTW, Mario Andretti thought McQueen was a complete poseur on the track.
95 968 Cab, Speed Yellow, Kinesis Supercups, Promax chip, Big Reds, SS brake lines, 5/35 brake bias valve, H&R sport springs, mo30 sway bars, LSD, Brey Krause control arm brace, Dynatech billet strut brace, Cargraphic 100 cell cat and ss exhaust, Club Sport steering wheel, short shift, sport seats
Old 10-12-2010, 05:23 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
winter-hater club member

who cares what mario thought. my .02.

PPOT: the sound of one hand clapping.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

McQueen definitely had an Allard.

I remember a photo-spread years ago in some magazine that sticks in my mind. And I'm pretty sure it was dark green, like the car in your pic.

Get in touch with McQueen's son if you are interested in pursuing this. I gather he's very open to these kinds of inquiries.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:56 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nynor View Post
who cares what mario thought. my .02.
Yeah, World Champion, his opinion counts for nothing.
95 968 Cab, Speed Yellow, Kinesis Supercups, Promax chip, Big Reds, SS brake lines, 5/35 brake bias valve, H&R sport springs, mo30 sway bars, LSD, Brey Krause control arm brace, Dynatech billet strut brace, Cargraphic 100 cell cat and ss exhaust, Club Sport steering wheel, short shift, sport seats
Old 10-12-2010, 08:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Mario was absolutely right.

But, Steve did earn pocket money for awhile by racing when he was young, mostly motorcycles. He was a fair driver, but not really competitive. Did some preening, but that may have been to cover up the fact that he wasn't competitive. Or maybe he was just 'in character' in later years.

Allards were 'historical' by the time Steve owned one. He owned a number of cars, Jags, Porsche (as we all know).

He did his own driving in 'Bullit' and riding in 'The Great Escape' (except the jumping the fence thing, the producer wouldn't allow him do that).

Last edited by tcar; 10-12-2010 at 09:09 PM..
Old 10-12-2010, 09:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

He was an actor who loved to race. Sort of like 1/2 the people on here. Just had money and time to more of it. And everytime he went out, someone took his picture. I dont think he ever tried to be more than he was on the track. I wonder if he ever commented on Mario's acting?
Old 10-13-2010, 04:53 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

While certainly not in the same league as Mario, McQueen did win a couple of races. Second overall at Sebring is nothing to sneeze about.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:11 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Registered Usurper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckersteve View Post
...I wonder if he ever commented on Mario's acting?
Mario was an "actor" back then? To the same degree that McQueen was a "racer"?

McQueen was a Hollywood actor who did nothing to dissuade anyone from percieving him as a supercool, talented, hotshoe racerdude - besides being a talented, supercool moviestardude. Apparently Mario just calls 'em as he sees 'em. I'm guessing that he'd comment differently on another rich actor guy gone racer (who, granted, lived a lot longer) and that would be Paul Newman.

What were McQueen's racing accomplishments anyway? Could he beat that other racing legend, James Garner? I think not! McQueen was asked to play a part in that LeMans or Gran Prix movie but he chickened out when he learned he'd have to race Garner - he knew that he would LOSE. Hell, you could have dropped McQueen in that old Elvis Presley racing movie and ol' Elvis would have run drug crazed circles around little Stevie.

If McQueen were here today, I'd pay good money to watch him get his ass whipped on the track by Vin Diesel - driving a frikkin' diesel! Now THERE would be a race; maybe even bring Charlie Sheen out of retirement.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:16 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
another round please

Mario "whines" again, just like his family behind him.
Old 10-13-2010, 06:20 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strupgolf View Post
Mario "whines" again, just like his family behind him.
+1

If I had the chance to have lunch with either of them, Mario would be a distant second behind Steve McQueen. Very distant...
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 10-13-2010, 06:34 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
least common denominator

I'm a HUGE Steve McQueen fan... but I would bet my house that Mario could mop up the track with him back in the day.

Apples and oranges... Steve was a actor who raced as a hobby... Mario was one of the best professional race car drivers in the world. Mario was probably ticked because Steve got more attention when he showed up at the track.

Seen many Allards at vintage racing events... they never did very well... don't get me wrong, cool car... I would love to own one!
Old 10-13-2010, 06:41 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered Usurper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dottore View Post
McQueen definitely had an Allard...

Indeed, he did. And a Zalinski and at least one babe whose last name begins with every other letter of the alphabet because he was, as we all know, a way cool guy.

But, back to the Allard automobile:

Indeed, definitely; and not just any Allard. McQueen purchased the J2X from its original owner, an elderly English nobleman, who'd driven it daily on his Cotswold estate, much to the disdain of his neighboring gentry who thought him a boor to go bellowing about (big Caddy V-8) scaring their poultry.

But the nobleman, Chauncey Dullard III, thwarted his detractors by licensing the J2X as a tractor - no muffler required and can be driven on twisty, country roads.

The outcry drowned out the Allard's bellowing pipes though as organized mobs of disgruntled country gentlemen would gather in villages on Sir Chauncey's usual routes and jump out from behind parked lorries when Chauncey approached, shouting "DITCH THE ALLARD, DULLARD!" In the end, Sir Chauncey was forced to sell what is now widely known as the "Dullard Allard".

pretty sure it was dark green, like the car in your pic.

Looks like sodium vapor lignting - make a red car look that sick green color. I discovered that once when I couldn't find my new red car in the parking lot I'd parked in when it was still daylight. I never did find it. Brand new car. Gone.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:07 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNS View Post
While certainly not in the same league as Mario, McQueen did win a couple of races. Second overall at Sebring is nothing to sneeze about.
...Which is why Mario didn't really like McQueen. While McQueen wan't a bad driver, he wasn't a pro. He got all of the credit for his placing at Sebring, when it was really the driving of his co-driver that got them second place. Mario was pissed that nobody gave credit where credit was due and McQueen got all of the accolades.

Pop quiz: anybody remember McQueen's co-driver?

And, don't forget, the real story of the race had a lot to do with Mario. One of his best drives, ever. Yet, all people remember is that McQueen got second.... it was impressive that he drove the race at all, becuase he had one foot in a cast. Still, he wasn't a pro and he'd get his ass whipped today in any decent racing series.

JR

Last edited by javadog; 10-13-2010 at 08:12 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 10-13-2010, 07:46 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by javadog View Post

Pop quiz: anybody remember McQueen's co-driver?
Peter "Rev-Rev" Revson?
Old 10-13-2010, 08:06 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: