Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 5 - Miscellaneous > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Milt (or others that do window in So. Cal.), pls contact me

I know (think?) Milt does window installations, I'm interested in putting in a bifolding 4 panel window in, around 8 feet long by 4 feet high. Would like to get your thoughts on it, and see if it's something you'd be interested in doing. I'm not far from LB.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:29 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Never seen a bifold window. What's the advantage?

Last time I checked the price of a simple bifold exterior door it was something like $1800. That was for only 3 feet wide! I used to do 12' for that kind of money, but prices on doors have crept up. Not that much that a 3 foot door should cost that kind of money. The weatherstripping and hinging is complicated. I shy away from complicated products.

Anyway, back to the bifold window. That has to be a nightmare of an installation. Is this a retrofit or going into a new framed out opening?

Please give the guys here some info for the fun of it like who makes this thing, but contact me by PM for any details.

Edit: I saw a few online. New concept for a pass through is what I gather. I never understood the pass through deal. I'd rather just have an outdoor kitchen or a partial kitchen and keep the flies out there.

Last edited by Zeke; 06-16-2012 at 05:32 PM..
Old 06-16-2012, 05:17 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
12 years and 17k posts...

Garage
Zeke, your advice is indispensible... Where would we be without you? Hang in there, buddy!
Old 06-17-2012, 04:54 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Would look something like this (just the window part on the left, not the door):

This is not going in a kitchen, it's a living room. Would be a new installation on an existing wall. Would need to cut the hole in the wall, etc.

I'll pm you.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I represent window manufacturers, but not the one selling that product. That is a beautiful result, but it will be the very devil to install correctly, especially in an existing wall. My advice is that if that's the result you want, that's the only product to use, but you have to make sure the installer is an absolute craftsman. There are so many things that can go wrong with that installation that you have to get someone who really knows what he's doing. The cost to install will be more than the cost of the product, but if the product doesn't perform because of poor installation, the money you save on installation the first time around will bite you in the rear times ten the second time.

Milt is one of the few people I'd trust on my own home to do that project. It won't be cheap and he'll probably still lose money on it if he would agree to do it. It's just plain a tricky install with a fine line between perfect and a perfect disaster.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:04 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Those windows or door systems are a nightmare. It only takes a tiny, little bit of settling and will cause all kinds of binding or operation issues. the header has to be true and straight (no sag). Chances of that happening (usually a large span) will be unlikely. The floor also must be dead nuts. About 6 years ago, I had the wonderful chance to install a 16' (Existing opening) bi-fold doors unit that lead into an outdoor kitchen in a home near the Rose bowl as part of the whole house remodel. This was a house build during the late 20's on a hill side. I argue against it with the owner and the architect. Beefing up the header was not in the plan. The floor was only 1/4" out of level it only took all of 2 years for it to not close properly.

Be careful, make sure the header is in really good shape though out the entire span and that the floor is good.
Old 06-17-2012, 03:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: