Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Francisco Domingo Carlos Andres Sebastián d'Anconia...

...drives a Porsche!

Just sayin'. Second movie was better than the first.

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor

Last edited by daepp; 10-23-2012 at 01:21 PM..
Old 10-15-2012, 03:47 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Haven't seen either movie installment yet but I did read the book. A very interesting book.

I'm not convinced Ayn's philosophy can be applied as-is to make a society viable. I am however in agreement with the fallout which is a result of trying to make the wrong philosophy work.

Since the origination of this book, it seems sales/popularity peaks every time the sheeple perceive a mass breakdown of society.
Old 10-15-2012, 03:57 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I wasn't real impressed with the first movie. In fact, had I not read the book recently, not really sure I would have been able to make heads or tails of it.

I did love the book, though. Ridiculously long - absolutely! But I enjoyed the writing and the message was well received due in large to the situation in my life at the time.

Porsche you say? I really thought Francisco drove a Stutz in the book. Of course, that kind of fellow probably has a car for every day of the week.

angela
80 Slantnose Cab 3.2 Conversion SCWDP #0035
550-A6 spyder -SS 3.2
81 Coupe "Butters" SCWDP #0036
Dad's SS - 87 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe
Traveling sucks, but it sucks a great deal less when you're driving a Porsche.
Old 10-15-2012, 04:08 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The second movie is much better made than the first. Much more better!

I was disappointed that the producers decided to set it in the current time rather than the 40's/50's. I thought there were so many opportunities for a period piece, black and white, streamlined cars and locomotives.

That said, they ARE able to make some commentaries on current society, gas prices, the 99% etc. This part 2 is quite good.

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 10-16-2012, 09:10 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Free Exams All November!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esel Mann View Post

I'm not convinced Ayn's philosophy can be applied as-is to make a society viable. I am however in agreement with the fallout which is a result of trying to make the wrong philosophy work.

Since the origination of this book, it seems sales/popularity peaks every time the sheeple perceive a mass breakdown of society.
Whether it can be applied or not is debateable.

What can't be debated is how accurately the book predicted the path of Europe and the U.S.

Pretty much everything the book predicted would happen has happened. It's really pretty amazing.
Old 10-16-2012, 09:37 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

McLovin, I do believe that I constrained the application to being viable. It's the viability which is the weak link. Our population is made up of about 85% sheeple. In order for her philosophy to be viable, the population must be reasonably small and not of sheeple stock. Some examples of where this would be possible: mass calamity which culls the sheeple, or colonizing such as the moon or mars. Alas none of these are likely to happen anytime soon.

If you have other thoughts I would certainly welcome them.

Also note, the book wasn't necessarily making predictions. It was/is a reflection of history and current events. It just so happens that the same traps and same mistakes are fallen for. That is why if you look at a chart of book sales versus time you will see sale of this book spike when the current events are shall we say closely aligned.
Old 10-16-2012, 03:05 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]

1972 911T/S MFI Survivor
Old 10-23-2012, 01:24 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Liked the first movie, waiting for a friend to see the second part.

Ayn Rand pegged things and if we do not stop the idiots in DC, we WILL end up like the book shows. Just hope that we have enough people living in "Galts Gulch" to save the country... the first step is in two weeks...
2002 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins (the workhorse), 1992 Jaguar XJ S-3 V-12 VDP (one of only 100 examples made), 1969 Jaguar XJ (been in the family since new), 1985 911 Targa backdated to 1973 RS specs with a 3.6 shoehorned in the back, 1959 Austin Healey Sprite (former SCCA H-Prod), 1995 BMW R1100RSL, 1971 & '72 BMW R75/5 "Toaster," Ural Tourist w/sidecar, 1949 Aeronca Sedan / QB
Old 10-23-2012, 06:19 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: