Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   I could really use some encouraging words right now, My little girl has lukemia (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/795320-i-could-really-use-some-encouraging-words-right-now-my-little-girl-has-lukemia.html)

fastfredracing 02-05-2014 07:18 PM

I could really use some encouraging words right now, My little girl has lukemia

4 month old baby , already daddy's little girl. Born 10 weeks premature, we were elated to bring home a healthy little peanut this past October. All seemed fine, but we did notice that she had some occasional bouts of discomfort, and what seemed like lower abdomen pains in the last few weeks or so . Friday, she had a low grade fever, so we took her to the pediatrician, rode out Saturday, but , when on Sunday, she quit eating , at the advice of our pediatrician, we took her to the ER.
We were expecting to hear that she had the flu, or some other virus, but when they came back at us with a diagnosis of acute AML Lukemia, it was like a kick in the gut. I felt my heart drop right out of my body at that point.
She has already started treatment, and so far, is doing fairly well, but I have a feeling that this is going to be a long road of ups and downs.
The floodgate of emotions have already come and passed, and I think we are repared for the long road ahead. We both had our own little meltdowns over the last few days, but we now have to be strong, and try to hold our family together. We will not leave her side, someone will be here 24/7 for the entire duration of her treatment. Treatment is roughly 6 months of in patient intensive chemo. They tell us that the odds of survival are 60 ish %.
We have a great support system through our two families, and Children's Hospital right here in Pittsburgh, is world renowned, and most likely, one of the best places in the country for her. So , far , they have been awesome, I cannot possibly say enough good things about them.
We are still struggling with how to manage two busy careers, and trying to keep some normalcy for our 8 year old son.
You always think this is something that happens to other people.
If you have any success stories, or encouraging words you would like to share with us, we could both use a little uplift right now.
I will say that , if you ever think you have problems in life, spend a few days in the cancer treatment ward of a childrens hospital , and your perspective will change rather quick.
I am not looking for a pity party, and was hesitant to even post this, but I could sure use a little pick me up . Any Cancer/ lukemia success stories you want to share , or words of advice would be very welcome right about now . Thanks guys, hug your little ones and never take their health for granted.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1391656239.jpg
She is ready to kick cancers ass.

Nickshu 02-05-2014 07:21 PM

Beautiful little girl... My prayers for her and your family. She looks like a fighter!

Neilk 02-05-2014 07:23 PM

My thoughts are with you and your family, especially the little one.

Our neighbor told us that his daughter was one of the first children to be treated with the now standard leukemia protocol when she was a child. At the time, she was a miracle, but 20 years later, she is now in college. Apparently the treatments are even better today, so best wishes to all of you!

Neil

Baz 02-05-2014 07:23 PM

:( Very sorry to hear this Fred. Will keep your little peanut in our thoughts and prayers.

I'm sure others who know more will comment on the cancer treatments.

If I can do anything....

Tilikum Turbo 02-05-2014 07:25 PM

Luckily, children almost always come thru from this disease. She should be fine.:D

Adults who get this are not always as fortunate, as the adult onset medium age is 68.

Our prayers are with you and child!

MBAtarga 02-05-2014 07:26 PM

I've had older close relatives battle cancer and win, but I can't imagine what you and your wife have gone through the past few days. I'll be praying for her and your family. What's her name please?

WolfeMacleod 02-05-2014 07:28 PM

Prayers,, indeed. I can't imagine.

And such a fitting shirt!

nostatic 02-05-2014 07:28 PM

Young humans can be incredibly resilient. Good thoughts your way.

billybek 02-05-2014 07:44 PM

Positive thoughts coming your way.
Cute little girl there, Fred.

porsche4life 02-05-2014 07:46 PM

We are here for ya Fred! If there is anything you need let us know!

Tobra 02-05-2014 07:49 PM

Girls are tougher, ask any NICU nurse

gsxrken 02-05-2014 07:52 PM

Fred, my neighbor's little girl had the same thing and also diagnosed in her first year. She's probably 7 years old now and you wouldn't know by looking at her running around now the trials they had to go through early on. They nearly lived at the hospital initially, and in between rounds (because chemo runs down the immunity system so much) the mom and daughter would stay with the grandparents to stay away from their other kids germs. She had at least two bone marrow transplants IIRC but she's fine now. It's amazing to see what a parent can and will do for a child. I have so much admiration for how they simply did what they had to do to get their daughter back.

elwood-914 02-05-2014 07:52 PM

Fred, children are tougher than we think they are. I'm fighting my 3rd battle….positive thinking is huge! Good luck and prayers sent to you and your beautiful daughter.

onewhippedpuppy 02-05-2014 08:03 PM

Stay strong Fred. You and your family will be in my prayers.

JavaBrewer 02-05-2014 08:09 PM

She is a fighter. Be as strong as she is. All our best wishes coming your way.

Evans, Marv 02-05-2014 08:13 PM

Fred, saddened to hear this. I can only wish you, family, and your daughter the best of luck for a successful recovery.

M.D. Holloway 02-05-2014 08:13 PM

Fred,
You have a lot of folks thinking about her and you and your family...prayers being made, extra hugs given. Stay strong through it. Your energy and will shall continue to help her as well. Hold her tight and hold your wife tight as well. You and her need it but you'll be ok. You will.

HHI944 02-05-2014 08:32 PM

Keep your chin up Fred. Prayers going your way.

Steve Viegas 02-05-2014 08:37 PM

Best thoughts sent.

Noah930 02-05-2014 08:47 PM

Sorry to hear of this challenge. Your family's in our thoughts.