Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Grants Pass Or.

We Took a drive to GP last week, we can make it on two tanks in the Golf, nice ride. We got a place on the river called WEASKU INN, cool old place built in the early 20s. We stayed in the Clark Gable room, he used to hang there. Went fishing right in back of the place.
Looked at a lot of homes, some right on the river, went to two car shows, LOTS of cars in that area. It didn't seem like there were a lot of jobs in the area and nobody to buy the stone stuff I do. BUT, it was real nice, green, no water shortage, gas was cheaper than here, property cheaper, taxes a lot less, and no sales tax.
So in the last couple months we have been to Prescott Az, Greenville SC, and Grants Pass, I would live in any of them. Someone needs to make a decision. We need to get out of this taxyourass place.

Oh yeah, Trump won
Thank you Mr. Putin
Old 06-10-2014, 09:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I go to a Grants Pass a lot. I think I am driving there again next week on my way to Klamath Falls. I like the town but it's a little rednecky for me. I prefer Ashland. Try the Breadboard Cafe for breakfast or lunch. Both towns have good hospitals - part of Asante Health.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I am not a fan of GP. Drugs lead the economy from what I understand. Ashland? 180 degrees from GP. If you are looking at Oregon, there are plenty of much nicer places. I think Bend, Sisters, and Hood River are going to boom in the next 10 years. Going to HR on Friday. It is lovely.

Larry
Old 06-10-2014, 10:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I live in Medford and years ago GP.
Although lovely, there is no law enforcement in the county and yes drug crime is pretty high.
The climate is dramatically better in GP than the other towns Larry mentioned. Property is cheaper too.
Ashland to me suck because of its self-righteous attitude and extremely liberal politics.
Oregon has no economy by choice. The liberal government does not do anything to attract business unless it's a a "green" business. So we have a lot of funding issues thus no law enforcement in rural counties, poor school funding, no libraries, etc.
I would look elsewhere if I were you.
Troy
Old 06-11-2014, 03:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I believe property taxes are pretty high in Oregon
Old 06-11-2014, 04:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Coming from Kalifornia property taxes in Oregon are VERY low and we had lunch in Ashland, it was like living inside Trader Joes.

Oh yeah, Trump won
Thank you Mr. Putin
Old 06-11-2014, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I don't know what living inside Trader Joes means.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

When do you plan on moving?
Retirement, yes?
Haven't seen you up in these parts, lately.
Hope all is well.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyGon View Post
Coming from Kalifornia property taxes in Oregon are VERY low and we had lunch in Ashland, it was like living inside Trader Joes.
What are the property taxes in Oregon?
Old 06-11-2014, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I heard that Ashford is a great community.
No?
My buddy's mom has a place for sale there.
Have not had the pleasure of visiting, yet.
Old 06-11-2014, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaBrewer View Post
What are the property taxes in Oregon?
A $300k house in the county would be about $1200 a year, a house in the city would be about double that. This is a less than $300k 3 acre place in the county. Two wells and septic. + $300 a year to pay the fire department for service. The police say own a gun.

Oh yeah, Trump won
Thank you Mr. Putin
Old 06-11-2014, 08:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyGon View Post
Coming from Kalifornia property taxes in Oregon are VERY low
Respectfully, I believe you are wrong, everyone I know in Oregon claims Prop tax is high. According to the internet their prop tax is higher than Cali.

I have been researching moving to Oregon and prop tax is not a perk... no sales tax is a perk.. and your real estate dollar will go farther.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Will need a couple extra bucks for rain coats and umbrellas

Oregon Prop taxes then are dependent on what county you live in?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

GP? Good motorcycle roads in the area. Ocean just an hour + away.....Great snowmobiling around Diamond Lake, Crater Lake.......Could do it, but would look at Klamath Falls over the hill first....
1962 XKE Roadster (sold)
19 motorcycles
Old 06-11-2014, 10:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

The problem with K-Falls, Grants Pass, and the communities in Josephine and Klamath Counties (and the other rural counties in Oregon) is that there is no Sheriff presence due to lack of funding. There are poor services in general. These counties are destitute. So if you care about services including law enforcement, these rural counties are not for you. Jackson county, where I live has a good Sheriff presence and good city police. Fire protection is much better also. Taxes are much higher in Jackson County. As far as Ashland and living there; it depends on how comfortable you are with the fringe crowd. A couple of years back, a young man had his head cut off while walking home from work on a popular walking path at 5:00 PM. They guess a sword was used. Still unsolved. Kinda swept under the carpet as not to deter the tourists from the Shakespeare festival.
Troy
Present: 2011 GMC 2500HD with the 6.0 & 4x4!, 2004 Toyota Sequoia (wife's)
Old 06-11-2014, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Oregon property taxes are dependant on the county you live in. Multnomah, where I unfortunately live, have discovered that people can't readily move their property out of the county, so they crank the taxes up as much as they can every year.

No sales tax, but there is income tax.

I grew up in Selma, which is a bit out of the way from Grants Pass.
JTO knows exactly where it is, and I feel for him. Left over twenty years ago, and don't particularly want to live there again for the reasons listed. I do have friends there, and still visit occasionally.

But it is beautiful, and if you don't mind the drugs and crime, or you have all you need for protection it is a great place to live. Kinda like LA with trees.

And the weather is almost perfect. Nice warm summers, and very mild short winters. Lots of outdoor activities, hiking to 4x4ing.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Interesting and timely thread as I was in Bend a few weeks back and heading back this weekend to pick the kids up from race camp. I was thinking of heading down to the area in discussion to check it out. While there I read the following article about the loss of timber revenue and how it was affecting the counties being considered in this thread. Not sure if this will open or not.

Oregon officials hunt ways to arrest decline of rural law enforcement

Oregon officials hunt ways to arrest decline of rural law enforcement | OregonLive.com
Old 06-11-2014, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Born in Oregon and will die here most likely. I like to refer to southern Oregon as the Banana belt, 50% less rain then our counterparts in North West Oregon ( I5 corridor ) all four season, it's green, mountains with snow and lakes all over. Property Tax 50% less then my friends up North for the same thing, ISH. Great driving and riding roads. I guess if your into the smog and crime or the glitz and glam you may not appreciate this area. This area is a little more laid back. Yeh the people don't want the police in some counties but it's still a democracy up here. I've been to other places in the country and still I come back here. It is one of the nicest areas in the country. Not to say I don't want to visit the other... A pic of my last job in Oregon

Steve the other half of Angela
81 Coupe "Butters" SCWDP #0036
Dad's SS - 87 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe
Traveling sucks, but it sucks a great deal less when you're driving a Porsche.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

My inlaws moved to Selma about thirty years ago when they retired. Oregon caves, Illnois river, Smith river are all beautiful places. Other than that there wasn't much for me and my family there. Meth was a problem and no real economy made many young people leave the area. When my father in law passed away my mother in law couldn't get out of there fast enough.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

I can't imagine Oregon being better than Calif. I like Washington though. Maybe check out Idaho or Montana. I just think that the older you get, the less you're going to like someone else sticking their nose in your business. In Oregon, that's all we encountered.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: