Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
1980 911 SC

Garage
Lightning strike- Can my new flat screen be fixed.

During a lightning storm the house got hit and sparks flew out of an electrical outlet that my new 40” Sony was plugged into. The outlet still works fine, no other visible damage to the house but the TV is not working. It will not turn on anymore. Does anyone think that if I pull it apart I might find an easy repair. I’m not a tech geek and it would have to be something readily visible that looks burned up and can be replaced easily. So, can this be fixed, would you even bother with it, or should I try it out as a surfboard.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Eva

Garage
It's dead.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
"O"man(are we in trouble)

Homeowners might cover depending on deductible.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

It's already broken. So no harm/foul to take it apart and see if you can fix it. If you cannot, send it to the e-recycle.

Maybe you will get lucky and it is just the power supply portion that has failed. More likely there are several things damaged and the cost to repair it will exceed the cost to replace it.

angela
81 Coupe "Butters" SCWDP #0036
Dad's SS - 87 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe
Traveling sucks, but it sucks a great deal less when you're driving a Porsche.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Depending on how new it is the availability of system pull parts will vary.

New parts will almost surely be too expensive to make fixing it worthwhile.

Do a search for the manual / schematic.

If it's got a protection fuse you may get off easy.

If not I doubt I'd bother.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laneco View Post
It's already broken. So no harm/foul to take it apart and see if you can fix it. If you cannot, send it to the e-recycle.

Maybe you will get lucky and it is just the power supply portion that has failed. More likely there are several things damaged and the cost to repair it will exceed the cost to replace it.

angela
What she said.

If you DO decide to open it up and see what you can do, look for the obvious: burned solder joints, popped capacitors, etc. When items such as this take an electrical spike like that, it can be as simple as a single circuit getting blown, or as bad as a whole lot of internals getting fried. If you're not wanting to upgrade (go bigger), 40" TVs are really pretty cheap these days...like, cheaper than your homeowner's insurance deductible, probably.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

least common denominator

Just scored a 50" Samsung plasma from Costco for $700 out the door.

As has been said, most likely cost more to fix than it is worth... and I am a tech.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
For prevention of this happening again, may I suggest:

Visit my homepage!
<><
Old 07-17-2014, 07:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Going forward, one thing to consider is a whole-house surge protector. They usually cost about $75-$200 and are attached to the main electrical panel.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Band.

Send a message via AIM to Gogar
Many times there is a fuse on the board thats only accessible when you take the back panel off. Maybe you'll get lucky!!

1973 Honda CB350F
Old 07-17-2014, 07:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-man View Post
For prevention of this happening again, may I suggest:

A power conditioner would be even better.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Hi

Garage
Here's my .02:
If sparks were flying from the outlet, I doubt a surge protector would have helped, but they're good to have for anything besides a direct hit.

I don't think Homeowners insurance would pay for that because, its an act of God, but you can check anyways.

If your house was a direct hit from lightening, I think that TV is completely fried.

Quote by Charles Freeborn, Pelican.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

When our house was hit by lightning (in Hawaii no less), homeowners covered replacement of virtually the entire house wiring, and all the blown components. I got rid of all CFLs immediately.
Old 07-17-2014, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911SauCy View Post
It's worse than that... it's dead Jim.
My edit
Old 07-17-2014, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Targa Me View Post

I don't think Homeowners insurance would pay for that because, its an act of God, but you can check anyways.
Depends on the policy.

Lightning strikes are very common around here. I've had several friends, houses no more than a few doors away, who got hit and anything that got fried got replaced by insurance.

Electronics are the least of the worries. Every year in our community a house will catch fire or burn down completely during "the season".
Old 07-17-2014, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Sugar Scoops Rule :)

Garage
we had a Sony 40" that got fried by lightning a few years back, it was still covered by the Costco warranty (the Sony warranty had expired, gotta love Costco/AMEX warranty extension). They sent a tech out, he declared it dead, and we got a check that covered a new Samsung 46".

My guess would be dead....
'62 VW Type 1 Sunroof
'73 914 2.0 (1st Porsche, gone long ago but not forgotton)
Old 07-17-2014, 10:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Gary H 1978 911 SC

Was it plugged into a surge protector? We were struck by lighting and the power strip had a 25K $ policy for lighting protection. 2 TVs, Amp, VCR, Telephones and some other stuff was all covered and we got a check for $2300. It was fast and easy.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Formerly bb80sc

Open it up and take a look. You should be able to tell of something is blown. I got a new main board for an FG 46" for 100 bucks, good as new. As already mentioned, could be a simple fuse...
2017 Mazda CX5
Old 07-17-2014, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
1980 911 SC

Garage
There doesn't seem to be any other damage to house wiring or appliances, and the deductible turns out to be higher than the price of the TV. Looks like I'll do a little exploration given some of the info I've gotten here and hope there's a fuse or something easy to fix.

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Student of the obvious

How new is new? Did you buy with your Amex? Visa? Many credit cards have damage coverage included as a benefit.

Amex bought my wife a new iPad when hers fell off the treadmill while she was running.

Also... some TVs do have replaceable fuses inside.

Mazda 3 S Touring Hatchback

Last edited by LeeH; 07-17-2014 at 01:22 PM..
Old 07-17-2014, 01:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: