Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to BlueSideUp
Can you tell me how this stealth radar detector works?

I am doing some electrical work on my father in law's 996 and it has this radar detector installed.

There is a dial under the dash but I can't find a display anywhere. Any idea how this thing works? I can't find a manufacturer's name anywhere.

Old 10-03-2014, 10:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

It's a jammer I think.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Laser Interceptor laser jammer products | Dual | Quad
Old 10-04-2014, 12:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Yeah, looks like a laser jammer to me.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-04-2014, 04:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thank you for the replies. I'll see if I can find the control box and determine if it's connected.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Air Medal or two

slightly very illegal ?

For those who have fought for it,
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

závodník 'X'

Garage
Jam this:
Years back, I knew of a fellow getting pulled over for doing 55 in a 30mph zone. Laughed when mentioned he forgot to flip a transmitter switch down to 30.

My guess its all useless today. Hard to beat the speed of light laser or VASCAR. Busted on that last one during night and wasn't attentative to a scanner.
“When these fine people came to me with an offer to make four movies for them, I immediately said ‘yes’ for one reason and one reason only… Netflix rhymes with ‘wet chicks,'” Sandler said in a prepared statement. “Let the streaming begin!” - Adam Sandler
Old 10-04-2014, 09:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Can you tell me how this stealth radar detector works?

Probably is illegal but I remember when the car was purchased it was described as a radar detector. It is most likely useless today.

The jammer sensors look different on the website. I'll see what else is in the system. It's never made a peep in 4 years so maybe it's disconnected.
Old 10-04-2014, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn 549 View Post
slightly very illegal ?
I don't think they necessarily are. If they are, it's probably a local law about trying to avoid tickets.

Radar jammers are very illegal because they are radio waves which is governed by the FCC, so it's a federal law.

Laser jammers are just light, so no federal law about it.

The deal with laser jammers, at least the one's that I've seen, is that you have a detector and jammer. It only jams when you get hit with the laser, and it warns you so you can hit your brakes and then turn the thing off. From what I understand, getting a good read with a laser is not always easy, so if they try once and get nothing, and then try again and get something, and you should be good.

At least, I think I remember reading something like that. I think the Blinder Extreme is a fairly common brand of jammer.

http://blinderxtreme.com/
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 10-06-2014, 08:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Air Medal or two

Web sight does not mention legal or not..........

For those who have fought for it,
freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Vey, yes mister President

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn 549 View Post
Web sight does not mention legal or not..........
simple google search:

Quote:
Because these jammers focus on blocking light emitted from laser guns, and not radio waves from radar guns, US federal laws prohibiting the use of radar jammers do not apply to these devices. While the U.S. Federal Communications Commission regulates transmission of radio waves, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration regulates light emissions.[4] However, several states have passed laws that specifically prohibit the use of laser jammers, including: Alaska, California, Colorado, Illinois, Minnesota, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Utah. The legality of laser jammers in Nebraska and Washington, D.C. is disputed.[5]
living in MN, the rule has always been you can receive anything (radar or laser), but you cannot transmit anything (jam).

have not gotten a speeding ticket since i starting running a V1. works great if you are smart about it.

Old 10-06-2014, 10:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: