Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Student of the obvious

Watch guys - Check out this prototype. Would you buy for $200?

I'm on a watch page on Facebook. A guy in Switzerland has put this together. He's planning to create a Kickstarter campaign in a couple of months for pre-orders. His target price is $150 for a quartz version and $200 for the autowinder.

Based on feedback, he already plans to reduce the size of the logo from what you see here. What do you think?

Mazda 3 S Touring Hatchback
Old 05-24-2015, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I like it. The black case will get worn and/or scratched until the silver underneath shows through. The black is cool, but I'd rather have natural stainless for the case (black for the dial is fine).

Seems like a good price for the watch.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 05-24-2015, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

And of course, the chronograph function is pretty useless these days, but a lot of people like the look.
2019 SeaRay 210 SPX
Old 05-24-2015, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
What movement is he using in the mechanical?
Old 05-24-2015, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Student of the obvious

Quote:
Originally Posted by OffCamber00 View Post
What movement is he using in the mechanical?
Mechanical: Seagull-ST1902
Quartz: Ronda-5030D

Old 05-24-2015, 04:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

For $200 it seems reasonable. Seagull is a cheap Chinese movement, but that technology is so mature that even the cheapest POS is pretty good. Again, at $200 it's probably a decent buy, but he's going to have to move some volume to make any money.
2019 SeaRay 210 SPX
Old 05-24-2015, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Registered

Nice looking. I like it in grey strap and also gulf blue.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
You do not have permissi

What about colored/glow hands, even if in outline?

There's a lot of background noise to see past the dial with a quick glance.
Old 05-24-2015, 05:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Those wrist bands...trendy man jewelry. Yes I am a troll. I have zero need for a watch. I really like watches but my practical side wins here with smart phone access I really want to like a watch but don't see the need. That said I think those would sell nicely at $79.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Banned

there must be a thousand different watches in that price point, I think I would stick with a Seiko or something like the Swiss Army military watches. Those I really like but have no need for another watch.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Sum

Garage
Meh. That's my gut reaction. I don't see anything about it that seems that unique? I like it but it doesn't jump out and grab me and anything different than what's out there already.
Old 05-24-2015, 09:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

Timex comes to mind.
Old 05-24-2015, 10:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Registered

The watch itself is OK and I agree that the logo needs to be smaller.

Now that said, I would actually pay up to $25 just for the band. Martini please.

angela
81 Coupe "Butters" SCWDP #0036
Dad's SS - 87 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe
Traveling sucks, but it sucks a great deal less when you're driving a Porsche.
Old 05-25-2015, 06:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Zink Racer

I wouldn't. I bought an Orsa from a guy doing small batches of quartz and mechanical watches a few years back. He had quite a following and sold well for a while. I took the diver to Hawaii and it fell apart. No recourse. He'd gone out of business and was not taking care of issues like I had.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Student of the obvious

This one really appeals to me. Watches are such a personal thing. I see a lot of them that I appreciate, but have no desire to own. I probably own >30 watches (most Seiko or Citizen), and most are diver types.

I like the old tachometer look of this one. Don't like the microscopic date window. Would rather he just left that off. But, for the most part, I like this watch more than most. Don't know if I'll actually buy one. Most of mine came from Goodwill, garage sales, or as part of large lots where I sold off the ones I didn't want. Don't think I've ever spent more than $50-$60 for a watch for myself.

Yes, there are a huge number of watches in this price range. Out of curiosity, I went to overstock.com and quickly scrolled through hundreds of watches priced at $200-$300. Other than a Seiko that I already own, I didn't see anything else that caught my eye.

I do think I'll order a striped NATO strap for one of my Seikos after looking at these photos.

Old 05-25-2015, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Buy cheap. Buy twice.
Old 05-25-2015, 09:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Registered

I don't wear jewelry, I have a phone to see what time it is.
Old 05-26-2015, 03:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered

That watch is -too Fat-.

Q: who wears a watch these days?
A: guys who show off their $$$$$ jewelry + wear too much man perfume

The instrument to the far right in a 911 is all you need.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
Registered

I defintely disagree with using your phone as the only way to tell time.

There are plenty of times when you have your phone snapped into the holster, or in your pocket if it's cold outside, rainy, etc etc. A watch that is rugged, waterproof, accurate, and easy to read at a quick glance is as much a work tool as a phone. The difference is that the phone needs to be taken out, push a button, wait, and then put it back. Phones are also best stored where they won't be dropped, hit, or get dirty/ wet.

Having said that, I prefer a more utilitarian watch like a Casio for every day use. Rubber strap, washable, and nearly bulletproof.
Old 05-26-2015, 12:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Registered

The time when I most need to check my watch is the time I am least likely to have my phone visable: running late in the shower, in bed, on a plane, while driving.

In fact, in my world, almost every male I know wears a watch, and much less than 1% would I consider fancy or man jewelry.

Your phone is WAY more likely to be man jewelry these days than your watch.

Old 05-26-2015, 01:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: