Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
I see you

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteremsley View Post
"That is an ex-gull!"

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 10-18-2015, 10:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #321 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

^^^Although neither is ideal; better a gull than one of those damn wallabies!
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 10-19-2015, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #322 (permalink)

amazing race
Old 10-19-2015, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #323 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

and in the news:
MotoGP News - Forward Racing confirms MotoGP exit

Quote:
The Forward Racing team has confirmed it is set to leave the MotoGP grid at the end of the season after announcing a new partnership with MV Agusta in the World Superbike and World Supersport championships in 2016.

The Swiss team, which runs Yamaha machinery in the Open class, will step away from the premier category after a four-year spell having claimed the Open championship in 2014 with Aleix Espargaro.

The decision has been made after Forward signed a partnership with MV Agusta to take charge of its World Superbike and World Supersport teams in 2016, with Forward Racing chairman Giovanni Cuzari acting as team principal.

Former 250cc world champion Marco Melandri has joined Forward as official test rider with MV Agusta, while announcements on World Superbike and World Supersport riders are expected in the coming weeks.

Forward will still be a presence in the MotoGP paddock after maintaining its commitments in Moto2 for next season and have already announced Lorenzo Baldassarri as one of its riders for 2016.

Current Forward MotoGP rider Loris Baz is confirmed as moving to Avintia next season. Team-mate Stefan Bradl left for Aprilia in the aftermath of financial problems following Cuzari's mid-summer tax investigation.

Bradl took over from Marco Melandri, who was named as a test rider for the new Forward-MV Agusta project. Cuzari meanwhile stated that the eventual aim is to return the famous brand to grand prix.

"MV Agusta represents the best the Made in Italy can offer and this collaboration will surely be a great growth opportunity for all in order to reach the top of WSBK and to aim for MotoGP," he said.

Toni Elias is riding alongside Baz for the remainder of this season.
"Ladies and Gentlemen, from Boston Massachusetts, we are Morphine, at your service..." - Mark Sandman (RIP)
Old 10-20-2015, 03:16 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #324 (permalink)

I suppose that assumes Cuzari stays out of jail...

JR
Old 10-20-2015, 04:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #325 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

To the guys who have a MotoGP subscription, do yourselves a favor and watch the 2013 Phillip Island race! Another crazy race, not so much because of all the lead changes, as in the 2015 race, but because of a mandatory pitstop, which threw a wrench into the works for some riders. You couldn't make this stuff up!

Last edited by sand_man; 10-20-2015 at 04:04 PM..
Old 10-20-2015, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #326 (permalink)

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sand_man View Post
To the guys who have a MotoGP subscription, do yourselves a favor and watch the 2013 Phillip Island race! Another crazy race, not so much because of all the lead changes, as in the 2015 race, but because of a mandatory pitstop, which through a wrench into the works for some riders. You couldn't make this stuff up!
pit stop was because they brought the wrong tires, right? wouldn't last the distance?
Old 10-20-2015, 04:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #327 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Quote:
pit stop was because they brought the wrong tires, right? wouldn't last the distance?
Yes! Something like that! They were supposed to pit no later than lap 10! And a certain "would be" champion (MM) stayed out longer than he should have and got black flagged!!!! CRAZY!
Old 10-20-2015, 04:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #328 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

But there's this moment in the race when Lorenzo had already made the stop and was on heated tires going flat out! Marquez is leaving the pits on warm/coldish tires and enters the track using the same race line as Jorge!!! Jorge just bumps Marc out of the way...grazes right past him with contact!!!!! Almost as if Marc didn't even exist!!!! EPIC!
Old 10-20-2015, 04:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #329 (permalink)
Banned

Why MotoGP Has Become the Best Motosport Series in the World - TheRideAdvice.comTheRideAdvice.com

Not sure I'm in love with Dorna...
Old 10-20-2015, 06:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #330 (permalink)

Good article - Thanks for that.
- - Don R. 1994, an excerpt from My Ass From a Hole in the Ground - A Comparative View
Old 10-20-2015, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #331 (permalink)

Quote:
Essentially, yes. Bridgestone doesn't bring every tire they make to each grand prix. They choose a selection from their current lineup and bring the ones they think will be needed, based on past experience. After the race in 2012, the PI track was resurfaced. Bridgestone had some idea of what the new surface was like but guessed wrong on the tire selections they brought. The track was highly abrasive and the tires weren't safe for a race distance. They set a window of a couple laps where riders had to come in and change bikes, that guaranteed that neither the first set of tires nor the second set would go too far. Marquez missed his pit board for several laps and came in one lap late and was black-flagged out of the race.

The other problem Bridgestone often faces is one of temperature. They know what the expected temperatures will be at a specific track and that is another factor in their tire choices. If a race weekend has warmer or colder temperatures than normal, problems can ensue. Laguna Seca has often been a problem track, in that mornings there are cold and foggy, while afternoons are sunny and hot. They can bring tires suitable for the afternoon sessions that simply don't work in first practice, which is generally around 9:00 in the morning, local time.

In the case of PI, the demanding corners are all to the left, so the right side of the tire runs too cool. in 2014, Bridgestone brought a dual compound front that had a softer compound on the right edge of the tire, and a harder one in the middle and on the left side. That gave better grip in the right hand corners, but another problem cropped up. Temperatures dropped in the race, to the point that the center of the tire wasn't giving the usual amount of grip, so a bunch of riders crashed while braking for a corner, notably Cal Crutchlow. To solve that, they changed the design this year to include the softer compound in the center and on the right side, while only the left side had the harder compound. Most riders opted to use it and it worked fine. It helped that Sunday was relatively warm and the wind wasn't as bad as it can be at that track. A rare nice day at Phillip Island...

JR
Old 10-21-2015, 05:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #332 (permalink)

Quotes from Rossi today...

After the Malaysian GP Pre-Event Press Conference Rossi spoke to the Italian media about his comments on Marquez helping out Lorenzo.

Do you think that Marquez helped out Lorenzo at Phillip Island?
“It is indeed true that Marquez did not play with both of us: he only played with me! It is important that he knows that I know! Now let's see what happens, but I am quite concerned because to have to fight with Lorenzo is one thing, but if you have to beat Marquez as well, everything becomes much more difficult, to be honest - the case is that he isn’t playing fair (something that a professional rider has to do in these situations). Especially because Marquez could be very competitive in the last two races.”

“For me it was a big disappointment, I was upset, it was from a few races ago that I knew, but I did not expect him to do something so obvious. I feel disappointment, regret and worry, because surely he will try to do it here and also in Valencia.”

So why did he eventually also overtake Lorenzo?
“In the race I noticed it, but I did not understand; Marquez was a step above everyone, but instead of trying to try to battle Lorenzo, he stayed with me to fight with Iannone and others. He knew that I was losing out to the Ducati on the straight. And so every time I tried to pass him, he re-overtook me (super-aggressive, but thats the way it is). But then he slowed to create a gap to Jorge. His bad luck was that on Sunday Jorge was not so strong, because otherwise it would have been over already. Instead, he always kept Jorge in check, knowing that he could catch him within 3 laps, and then tried to slow me and Iannone, perhaps trying to put other riders between me and Lorenzo. And in the end, that's what he did. It is clearly quite worrying, but it doesn't worry me too much”

Why do you think he did this?
“Because he would prefer Lorenzo to win. He is angry at me for a personal matter. Although he never said it, he thinks that in Argentina I made him crash; and then at Assen he is still thinking about the last chicane, in his head he feels he should have won that race. Since then he has been angry and thinking like a child: I do not win, but you do not win either. At this point, the lesser evil is for him is for Lorenzo to win.”

Is it something that motivates you or makes you angry?
"Let's see. Because if he's faster yet slows down to get involved in the battles further back, it could become difficult. Because he has nothing to lose, but I do. I have to be wary. I'm sorry and I'm quite angry. I did not expect that Marquez was an obstacle for this Championship, I thought I was only fighting against Jorge, as it should be.”

Because he used to idolise you, did you think this wouldn't happen?
"Watch out, here we must make a clarification: did he really idolise me? Did he really have my poster at home? I'm not so sure. I'd like to go back in time and see. It will also be a question of character, he is competing with me: I want to win as many World Championships as I can. If I win another title, then he knows that he will have to win one more to overtake me. If instead Jorge wins, then they have more or less the same.”

Was it better with Biaggi, because he at least made his feelings clear?
"It's true you are right. In the long run, I prefer more his behaviour. We were obnoxious to each other, but at least it was clear and honest. But I do not have his phone number.”

Did this all begin in Laguna Seca?
“There have been lots of moments, at Laguna Seca he wanted to do what I had done to Stoner five years before, when he could easily have passed three corners later. It was the first signal. And I said so, but I did not want to believe it. To think evil, it takes forever.”

Wanting to make a literary comparison, since we are in Malaysia, do you feel like Sandokan fighting Yanez?
"I would not know. I do not think that there is this difference between me and Lorenzo. I think we're both brave, each in his own way, and also a bit cunning."
Old 10-22-2015, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #333 (permalink)
Banned

Pedrosa sets the early pace
Old 10-22-2015, 08:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #334 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Yeah, JR, I saw that! SHEEEESH!
Old 10-22-2015, 08:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #335 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

I wonder if only having one week between (each race) Japan, Australia, and Malaysia starts to take a toll on these guys, particularly, the "older" ones? As JR pointed out in an earlier post, it takes tremendous strength to "flick" these bikes around at speed! Not to mention the mental game!!!! Of course that's what they're paid to do...
Old 10-23-2015, 05:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #336 (permalink)

I think it does, to some extent. Three days on a bike, then four days off... the traveling adds to the misery. Even if you stay roughly in the same time zones, it takes it out of you.

These guys are really fit, though...

Probably harder on the mechanics, as they start a day earlier and finish a day later.

JR
Old 10-23-2015, 05:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #337 (permalink)
I see you

These guys are in fact well trained athletes. JL stated in the opening press conference (in response to a question) that last year his fitness was an issue. Add the heat and humidity of Sepang to the event and fitness becomes critical.

Old bikers don't get old by accident
equito ergo sum
Old 10-23-2015, 06:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #338 (permalink)
resident samsquamch

Not that I'm an athlete, but then there's that theory that things can go awry with too much time off. Getting out of the groove (if you're in one), losing some focus, hot Euro-trash babe hook-ups (probably always an issue), parties (not that these guys are graduates from the James Hunt school of racing)...

EDIT: losing your edge as it were.

Last edited by sand_man; 10-23-2015 at 06:51 AM..
Old 10-23-2015, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #339 (permalink)

For sure, I can see why Jorge was letting his fitness slide

Old 10-23-2015, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #340 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: