Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Sully (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/928605-sully.html)

mikester 09-11-2016 04:28 PM

Sully

Saw it.

Wasn't sure I'd like it. Been around aviation my whole life.

Loved it.

The phone call he makes to his wife where he tells her to turn on the news...got a similar phone call from my Dad who was flight crew for an airline on 9/11 and many times when we were kids while he was in the airforce. Hit home...

Loved it.

fastfredracing 09-11-2016 04:38 PM

Looking forward to seeing it, glad to hear you liked it .
Saw this the other night and thought it was pretty funny

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/pbULDhHWnno" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cashman 09-11-2016 04:55 PM

We got a sneak peak on Wednesday because my wife works for the Carolina Aviation Museum where the plane is now housed. If you're ever in Charlotte it is worth seeing. A couple interesting facts they didn't really mention:

Skyles was actually Pilot In Command of the flight. They didn't drive that home but during the movie you hear Sully say "I've got the stick" (or something like that)- meaning he is taking over the plane at that point.

The plane that ended up in the Hudson was not the plane normally designated for that route. The normal plane wasn't equipped with life rafts as it wasn't a flight over water.

Sully had to land the plane at 11 degrees. They say 10 or 12 degrees would have severely damaged the plane.

I thought the movie was really good as well. Worth seeing.

rattlsnak 09-11-2016 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cashman (Post 9276822)
Skyles was actually Pilot In Command of the flight. They didn't drive that home but during the movie you hear Sully say "I've got the stick" (or something like that)- meaning he is taking over the plane at that point.

Close, but Skyles was PF, or pilot flying, and Sully was PM, or pilot monitoring, but still the captain and PIC of the flight. The Kimmel episode was hilarious!

cashman 09-11-2016 05:12 PM

^^^^ Yes....Correctly worded. Thank you.

Baz 09-11-2016 05:30 PM

I just saw Captain Phillips this weekend...guess it will be a while until Sully hit's cable, huh?

nvr2mny 09-11-2016 05:47 PM

Wife & I saw it Friday night. Really enjoyed it.

jyl 09-11-2016 05:55 PM

Read that the movie takes liberties with what happened in the subsequent investigation, to make it more dramatic. But sounds like a terrific movie all the same.

A930Rocket 09-11-2016 06:27 PM

Saw it with Ms Rocket tonight. Good movie.

Did the NTSB really think Sully could have made it back to an airport? Of course the sim pilot had 17 tries.

mocha07 09-11-2016 06:34 PM

Saw "Sully" today in the I-MAX version, very enjoyable,better than expected.

stomachmonkey 09-11-2016 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A930Rocket (Post 9276963)
Saw it with Ms Rocket tonight. Good movie.

Did the NTSB really think Sully could have made it back to an airport? Of course the sim pilot had 17 tries.

155 people got on that plane.

155 people got off.

I call that a win.

I for one would not have questioned the mans judgement or decisions.

jyl 09-11-2016 06:50 PM

Apparently in real life the NTSB did the simulation both w/ and w/o including reaction time and concluded quickly that Sully did the right thing.

I read that in the movie, the NTSB initially did only the simulation w/o including reaction time, thought that Sully could have made it to an airport, and had to be persuaded to re-do the simulation w/ including reaction time. Thats the dramatic license part.

As I said, it sounds like a terrific movie. But if it does in fact paint the NTSB investigators as villains, that seems to me like another example of trying to over-dramatize everything to get attention. (I havent seen the movie so I am not sure how heavy handed it is.)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-07/crash-investigators-pan-their-portrayal-as-villains-in-sully

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-ntsb-investigators-have-beef-with-movie-sully/

If I had to point at an example of a movie that dealt with similarly heroic feats without feeling compelled to invent a government bad guy to be the villain, try Memphis Belle. Or Apollo 13.

Movies are fiction. Doesn't matter if they say quote based on true events unquote.

Joe Bob 09-11-2016 07:21 PM

Gotta add another one....

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploa...1473650472.jpg

Bill Douglas 09-11-2016 09:29 PM

Aeroplane vs. airplane - Grammarist

afterburn 549 09-12-2016 01:05 AM

I HATE giving monies to Hollywood so they can give themselves self-adulating awards for pretending to do the things that they have not ever done .
Then - pretending they hate having their pix taken etc.
What a plastic bunch !

GH85Carrera 09-12-2016 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jyl (Post 9276991)
If I had to point at an example of a movie that dealt with similarly heroic feats without feeling compelled to invent a government bad guy to be the villain, try Memphis Belle. Or Apollo 13.

Movies are fiction. Doesn't matter if they say quote based on true events unquote.

From what I heard from the astronauts and engineers that lived Apollo 13, it was mostly an accurate portrayal of the events. The one "liberty" that Ron Howard admits to is the raised voices and arguing on board Apollo 13. He said listening to the audio tapes and and reading the transcripts the astronauts were 100% professionals and kept emotion out of it until the chutes opened.

I will for sure look forward to seeing this move. Hanks is a great actor. I really hope to live a life where Tom Hanks never has to portray me in a movie.

jhynesrockmtn 09-12-2016 05:14 AM

Most reviews I've read, I have not seen it, mention the inherent lack of dramatic tension given the outcome that everyone knows about. All made it out alive, Sully did a great job. Therefore it would be natural to paint the NTSB as "the enemy" to create something resembling that tension. All praised the movie in other areas. I too just saw Captain Phillips which was a great movie. I'm sure I'll see Sully in 2018 or so.

Chocaholic 09-12-2016 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by afterburn 549 (Post 9277159)
I HATE giving monies to Hollywood so they can give themselves self-adulating awards for pretending to do the things that they have not ever done .
Then - pretending they hate having their pix taken etc.
What a plastic bunch !

You've just described the executive floor of nearly every company in the world!

Laneco 09-12-2016 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe Bob (Post 9277026)

Well thank you Joe Bob... I'm in the SFO airport lounge and just snorked my water over the front of my shirt!!! :D

angela

Joe Bob 09-12-2016 08:30 AM

Init my job to do that?