Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to mikester
Sully

Saw it.

Wasn't sure I'd like it. Been around aviation my whole life.

Loved it.

The phone call he makes to his wife where he tells her to turn on the news...got a similar phone call from my Dad who was flight crew for an airline on 9/11 and many times when we were kids while he was in the airforce. Hit home...

Loved it.

I heart Boobies
Old 09-11-2016, 04:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Looking forward to seeing it, glad to hear you liked it .
Saw this the other night and thought it was pretty funny

1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 09-11-2016, 04:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

We got a sneak peak on Wednesday because my wife works for the Carolina Aviation Museum where the plane is now housed. If you're ever in Charlotte it is worth seeing. A couple interesting facts they didn't really mention:

Skyles was actually Pilot In Command of the flight. They didn't drive that home but during the movie you hear Sully say "I've got the stick" (or something like that)- meaning he is taking over the plane at that point.

The plane that ended up in the Hudson was not the plane normally designated for that route. The normal plane wasn't equipped with life rafts as it wasn't a flight over water.

Sully had to land the plane at 11 degrees. They say 10 or 12 degrees would have severely damaged the plane.

I thought the movie was really good as well. Worth seeing.
There's nothing better than: Listening to "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad" ,as I, "Go Down the Road Feeling Bad"
Old 09-11-2016, 04:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Insert Tag Line HERE.....

Garage
Send a message via AIM to rattlsnak
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Skyles was actually Pilot In Command of the flight. They didn't drive that home but during the movie you hear Sully say "I've got the stick" (or something like that)- meaning he is taking over the plane at that point.

Close, but Skyles was PF, or pilot flying, and Sully was PM, or pilot monitoring, but still the captain and PIC of the flight. The Kimmel episode was hilarious!
Old 09-11-2016, 05:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

^^^^ Yes....Correctly worded. Thank you.
There's nothing better than: Listening to "Going Down the Road Feeling Bad" ,as I, "Go Down the Road Feeling Bad"
Old 09-11-2016, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
I just saw Captain Phillips this weekend...guess it will be a while until Sully hit's cable, huh?
Old 09-11-2016, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Wife & I saw it Friday night. Really enjoyed it.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Read that the movie takes liberties with what happened in the subsequent investigation, to make it more dramatic. But sounds like a terrific movie all the same.
Old 09-11-2016, 05:55 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
OFF THE BOOST PIPE NOW...

Saw it with Ms Rocket tonight. Good movie.

Did the NTSB really think Sully could have made it back to an airport? Of course the sim pilot had 17 tries.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Saw "Sully" today in the I-MAX version, very enjoyable,better than expected.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
The Unsettler

Send a message via AIM to stomachmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by A930Rocket View Post
Saw it with Ms Rocket tonight. Good movie.

Did the NTSB really think Sully could have made it back to an airport? Of course the sim pilot had 17 tries.
155 people got on that plane.

155 people got off.

I call that a win.

I for one would not have questioned the mans judgement or decisions.
Old 09-11-2016, 06:38 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Apparently in real life the NTSB did the simulation both w/ and w/o including reaction time and concluded quickly that Sully did the right thing.

I read that in the movie, the NTSB initially did only the simulation w/o including reaction time, thought that Sully could have made it to an airport, and had to be persuaded to re-do the simulation w/ including reaction time. Thats the dramatic license part.

As I said, it sounds like a terrific movie. But if it does in fact paint the NTSB investigators as villains, that seems to me like another example of trying to over-dramatize everything to get attention. (I havent seen the movie so I am not sure how heavy handed it is.)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-09-07/crash-investigators-pan-their-portrayal-as-villains-in-sully

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/former-ntsb-investigators-have-beef-with-movie-sully/

If I had to point at an example of a movie that dealt with similarly heroic feats without feeling compelled to invent a government bad guy to be the villain, try Memphis Belle. Or Apollo 13.

Movies are fiction. Doesn't matter if they say quote based on true events unquote.

Last edited by jyl; 09-11-2016 at 07:00 PM..
Old 09-11-2016, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Gotta add another one....

Old 09-11-2016, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Aeroplane vs. airplane - Grammarist
Old 09-11-2016, 09:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Air Medal or two

I HATE giving monies to Hollywood so they can give themselves self-adulating awards for pretending to do the things that they have not ever done .
Then - pretending they hate having their pix taken etc.
What a plastic bunch !
Old 09-12-2016, 01:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Get off my lawn!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jyl View Post
If I had to point at an example of a movie that dealt with similarly heroic feats without feeling compelled to invent a government bad guy to be the villain, try Memphis Belle. Or Apollo 13.

Movies are fiction. Doesn't matter if they say quote based on true events unquote.
From what I heard from the astronauts and engineers that lived Apollo 13, it was mostly an accurate portrayal of the events. The one "liberty" that Ron Howard admits to is the raised voices and arguing on board Apollo 13. He said listening to the audio tapes and and reading the transcripts the astronauts were 100% professionals and kept emotion out of it until the chutes opened.

I will for sure look forward to seeing this move. Hanks is a great actor. I really hope to live a life where Tom Hanks never has to portray me in a movie.
1986 El Camino with Fuel Injected 350 Crate Engine
My Motto: I will never be too old to have a happy childhood!
Old 09-12-2016, 05:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Zink Racer

Most reviews I've read, I have not seen it, mention the inherent lack of dramatic tension given the outcome that everyone knows about. All made it out alive, Sully did a great job. Therefore it would be natural to paint the NTSB as "the enemy" to create something resembling that tension. All praised the movie in other areas. I too just saw Captain Phillips which was a great movie. I'm sure I'll see Sully in 2018 or so.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Registered ConfUser

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterburn 549 View Post
I HATE giving monies to Hollywood so they can give themselves self-adulating awards for pretending to do the things that they have not ever done .
Then - pretending they hate having their pix taken etc.
What a plastic bunch !
You've just described the executive floor of nearly every company in the world!
Old 09-12-2016, 06:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bob View Post
Gotta add another one....

Well thank you Joe Bob... I'm in the SFO airport lounge and just snorked my water over the front of my shirt!!!

angela
81 Coupe "Butters" SCWDP #0036
Dad's SS - 87 Monte Carlo Aerocoupe
Traveling sucks, but it sucks a great deal less when you're driving a Porsche.
Old 09-12-2016, 08:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Init my job to do that?
Old 09-12-2016, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: