Pelican Parts Forums

Pelican Parts Forums (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/)
-   Off Topic Discussions (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/)
-   -   Wow has panorama changed! (http://forums.pelicanparts.com/off-topic-discussions/962716-wow-has-panorama-changed.html)

93097004xx 07-09-2017 10:00 AM

Wow has panorama changed!

Bought a lot of panoramas 2013 to 2016. They are so good I actually joined the PCA after a 15 year absence for panorama alone!

I have to say panorama is nearly as good as excellence at this point. They have come a LONG way. Anyone familiar with panorama will know it was a very good magazine from the late 70s to the late 80s in fact one of my favorite magazines of all those years. Then something happened in the early 90s to 2012s. Just awful no content just club news totally worthless as far as content. Now it's better than its ever been and probably one of the best porsche publications out there!

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...d3c1f8b718.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...b71d27812c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5bf7e9dc34.jpg

tcar 07-09-2017 10:51 AM

When Pete Stout left 'Excellence' and moved to 'Panorama' he changed EVERYTHING except the name, even the size format... made it a world class mag.

He's since moved on again... so we'll see how it goes.

Flieger 07-09-2017 11:17 AM

Excellence is no longer excellent after Pete left. Though they have fixed the horrible copy errors (missing words/sentences/paragraphs) the content just isn't interesting anymore.

Or maybe it is just me having burned out on Porsches.

Baz 07-09-2017 11:24 AM

I was a PCA member for many years...and a couple years ago sent in my annual dues as I always do and they screwed up my renewal so I took that as an opportunity to let her go.

I dropped my subscription to Excellence a long time ago.

However...I'm a card carrying member in good standing with the 356 Registry and as such get their monthly magazine which is always outstanding along with our regional one, which is enough reading for me on the subject. :)

cairns 07-10-2017 06:24 AM

You can thank Manny Albin.

I used to literally throw Pano's in the trash after ten minutes of septuagenerian Church of Porsche ka-ka. Now I look forward to it every month and savor them for as long as possible. This month's was just awesome- and Pete moved on months ago.

Just cancelled Excellence too. Car (the British version of Automobile) had ten pages on the 991.2 roll out with plenty of HQ pics and graphics along with a fine dose of British prose.

I think Excellence had two pages. And maybe one or two factory pictures. And countless ads and numerous misspellings. Just not worth it anymore.

URY914 07-10-2017 07:51 AM

How much more can be written about the 917? :rolleyes:

tcar 07-10-2017 08:24 AM

Pete Stout

BTW,

Stout's new magazine is "000 Magazine".

Comes out quarterly.

One year subscription is $1k.... 4 issues.

rfuerst911sc 07-10-2017 01:34 PM

I ended my Excellence subscription because the quality of Panorama was better . Have not regretted the decision .

techweenie 07-10-2017 08:34 PM

After 27 years as a PCA member, I got my new Pano one month in '98 and there was a freakin' tractor on the cover. I let my membership lapse, but recently rejoined - all because of Panorama.

Excellence has always been the stepsister in that particular publisher's portfolio. Weak and lazily done, and fraught with typos. Bleagh.

93097004xx 07-12-2017 07:44 AM

Does anyone have current copy's of the 356 registries magazine? Do you need a 356 to join?

onewhippedpuppy 07-12-2017 08:04 AM

Pano is excellent, I look forward to each issue.

nvr2mny 07-12-2017 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 93097004xx (Post 9659411)
Does anyone have current copy's of the 356 registries magazine? Do you need a 356 to join?

Nope. Been a member for years and have never owned a 356..........yet.

rusnak 07-12-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tcar (Post 9656653)
BTW,

Stout's new magazine is "000 Magazine".

Comes out quarterly.

One year subscription is $1k.... 4 issues.

I signed up for the standard subscription: $250 per year.

Daves911L 07-12-2017 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by URY914 (Post 9656611)
How much more can be written about the 917? :rolleyes:

This might be the truth. How much more can be written about cars and events that are 30, 40, 50, 60 plus years in the past. Been reading Pano since the latter '70's. Used to fascinate me endlessly. I'd read each issue front to back, back to front, multiple times. Now, open it up, thumb through a few pages, and put it down. Its all been said before. Many times. Nothing new. Not that the articles are incomplete, or poorly written. But they have all been written before, by someone else. Except for new high tech water pumper gadgetry, which simply holds no appeal for me. Same with the Registry mag. Have dropped both subscriptions in the past year.

Possible the internet and forums like this have cooled my ardor too. Used to be a big deal to get that magazine in the mail after an agonizingly long wait. Now its instant access, any time I feel like, to as much P car information as I want.

rsnodgrass 11-29-2017 11:49 AM

Dave, you might check out 000 Magazine as I find it indeed does surface new information/photos/documents/etc and is not just a re-hash of the same old Porsche articles. The research is top notch and depth of material rarely surfaces in magazines, or even books. Kudos to the publisher and all the contributor authors/photographers/researchers to each issue of 000.

Plus for two more days, there is a chance to WIN a 1-year 000 Magazine Subscription.

BE911SC 11-29-2017 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flieger (Post 9655780)
Or maybe it is just me having burned out on Porsches.

I'll never burn out on Porsches but I have burned out on Porsche mania.

Deschodt 11-29-2017 12:29 PM

Pano became better than Excellence under Pete Stout... Now that he's moved on, it's no longer as good - it's still better than before the format change, and about on par with Excellence... Both are "OK", the new format is indeed better - too much "from the regions" for me but being a club mag I understand it... These days I get more reading enjoyment from Classic Porsche (UK) and 000, which is where it's at for top notch reading, but it's more a book than a magazine so maybe it's an unfair comparison.

I totally relate to burning out on Porsche mania... I only get 000 (cause it's good) and Excellence ('cause it's cheap) with the occasional Ipad purchase of the others. I ran out of books and magazine space and there really are very few original stories on the topic anymore... I have all Excellence since #1 so I can't quit, but I quit Esses and 356 registry, it's becoming a fire hazard ;-)

unclebilly 11-29-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rsnodgrass (Post 9831045)
Dave, you might check out 000 Magazine as I find it indeed does surface new information/photos/documents/etc and is not just a re-hash of the same old Porsche articles. The research is top notch and depth of material rarely surfaces in magazines, or even books. Kudos to the publisher and all the contributor authors/photographers/researchers to each issue of 000.

Plus for two more days, there is a chance to WIN a 1-year 000 Magazine Subscription.

Its almost like you know these guys... SmileWavy

93097004xx 11-30-2017 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unclebilly (Post 9831195)
Its almost like you know these guys... SmileWavy

The Parabolica Press 3.0 930 book is nearing its completion.

The book promises to be the best book since the 2.7 book by Parabolica!

Phenomenal book!

Order one while you can! I did and I know my porsche books!

www.parabolicapress.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunroof 11-30-2017 04:29 AM

Twenty plus year PCA member having never been a big fan of Panorama until these great and recent changes in format and content. Beautiful publication with more articles, auto histories, restoration stories and of course the Market! Definitely up there with Excellence and perhaps beyond.

93097004xx 11-30-2017 04:36 AM

Now all they need to do is make a 3.3 book in-compassing 78/89 930, special wishes program/ sonderwunsche program as well as production M505 and developmental the turbo targa/cab.

The 930 was still being campaigned privately through this period as well.

Canít forget Kremer,DP,Andale,Ruf made some very impressive expressions of the 930 through this period.

Anyhow 78/89 was a very interesting time of development for the 930.

cairns 11-30-2017 05:13 AM

Quote:

I ended my Excellence subscription because the quality of Panorama was better . Have not regretted the decision .
Same here. It really went downhill fast.

BTW thank Manny Alban for bringing on Pete. He knew the magazine needed help and he fixed it. And the new editor is doing a fine job IMO.

93097004xx 11-30-2017 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cairns (Post 9831809)
Same here. It really went downhill fast.

BTW thank Manny Alban for bringing on Pete. He knew the magazine needed help and he fixed it. And the new editor is doing a fine job IMO.

From 1995 to 2007 excellences was the finest car magazine in the world.

This coming from someone who holds a standing subscription to motorsport magazine.

A magazine without fail that has been the standard by which all automotive journalism is measured against since the 1920s.

I miss the days when I could spends hours reading excellence from cover to cover and feeling like I was right there.. like I had just went somewhere.. few journalists write with such passion. Excellence had some very talented folks. Maybe they will again. Soon.

cairns 11-30-2017 05:49 AM

Quote:

This coming from someone who holds a standing subscription to motorsport magazine.
I do too. Getting a little worried though with the changes lately- no more race reports?? Also sad to see Nigel go but it had to happen one day....

cassisrot 11-30-2017 09:24 AM

Pano's new editor just did away with the parts wanted and for sale classifieds. Not a good mind set in mho.

mikehinton 11-30-2017 02:12 PM

Those ads were just dropped from the print version. Still available online.