Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Wow has panorama changed!

Bought a lot of panoramas 2013 to 2016. They are so good I actually joined the PCA after a 15 year absence for panorama alone!

I have to say panorama is nearly as good as excellence at this point. They have come a LONG way. Anyone familiar with panorama will know it was a very good magazine from the late 70s to the late 80s in fact one of my favorite magazines of all those years. Then something happened in the early 90s to 2012s. Just awful no content just club news totally worthless as far as content. Now it's better than its ever been and probably one of the best porsche publications out there!

Last edited by 93097004xx; 07-09-2017 at 10:11 AM..
Old 07-09-2017, 10:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

When Pete Stout left 'Excellence' and moved to 'Panorama' he changed EVERYTHING except the name, even the size format... made it a world class mag.

He's since moved on again... so we'll see how it goes.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Max Sluiter

Garage
Excellence is no longer excellent after Pete left. Though they have fixed the horrible copy errors (missing words/sentences/paragraphs) the content just isn't interesting anymore.

Or maybe it is just me having burned out on Porsches.

Suspension by Rebel Racing, Serviced by TLG Auto, Brakes by PMB Performance
http://www.flickr.com/photos/max_911_fahrer/
Old 07-09-2017, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
G'day!

Garage
I was a PCA member for many years...and a couple years ago sent in my annual dues as I always do and they screwed up my renewal so I took that as an opportunity to let her go.

I dropped my subscription to Excellence a long time ago.

However...I'm a card carrying member in good standing with the 356 Registry and as such get their monthly magazine which is always outstanding along with our regional one, which is enough reading for me on the subject.
Old 07-09-2017, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

You can thank Manny Albin.

I used to literally throw Pano's in the trash after ten minutes of septuagenerian Church of Porsche ka-ka. Now I look forward to it every month and savor them for as long as possible. This month's was just awesome- and Pete moved on months ago.

Just cancelled Excellence too. Car (the British version of Automobile) had ten pages on the 991.2 roll out with plenty of HQ pics and graphics along with a fine dose of British prose.

I think Excellence had two pages. And maybe one or two factory pictures. And countless ads and numerous misspellings. Just not worth it anymore.

Last edited by cairns; 07-10-2017 at 06:29 AM..
Old 07-10-2017, 06:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
How much more can be written about the 917?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ury914/
Old 07-10-2017, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Pete Stout

BTW,

Stout's new magazine is "000 Magazine".

Comes out quarterly.

One year subscription is $1k.... 4 issues.
Old 07-10-2017, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

I ended my Excellence subscription because the quality of Panorama was better . Have not regretted the decision .
Old 07-10-2017, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
After 27 years as a PCA member, I got my new Pano one month in '98 and there was a freakin' tractor on the cover. I let my membership lapse, but recently rejoined - all because of Panorama.

Excellence has always been the stepsister in that particular publisher's portfolio. Weak and lazily done, and fraught with typos. Bleagh.
2018 Chevy Volt dd/parts fetcher
Old 07-10-2017, 08:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Does anyone have current copy's of the 356 registries magazine? Do you need a 356 to join?

Last edited by 93097004xx; 07-12-2017 at 07:58 AM..
Old 07-12-2017, 07:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Did you get the memo?

Pano is excellent, I look forward to each issue.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93097004xx View Post
Does anyone have current copy's of the 356 registries magazine? Do you need a 356 to join?

Nope. Been a member for years and have never owned a 356..........yet.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcar View Post
BTW,

Stout's new magazine is "000 Magazine".

Comes out quarterly.

One year subscription is $1k.... 4 issues.
I signed up for the standard subscription: $250 per year.
Old 07-12-2017, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Quote:
Originally Posted by URY914 View Post
How much more can be written about the 917?
This might be the truth. How much more can be written about cars and events that are 30, 40, 50, 60 plus years in the past. Been reading Pano since the latter '70's. Used to fascinate me endlessly. I'd read each issue front to back, back to front, multiple times. Now, open it up, thumb through a few pages, and put it down. Its all been said before. Many times. Nothing new. Not that the articles are incomplete, or poorly written. But they have all been written before, by someone else. Except for new high tech water pumper gadgetry, which simply holds no appeal for me. Same with the Registry mag. Have dropped both subscriptions in the past year.

Possible the internet and forums like this have cooled my ardor too. Used to be a big deal to get that magazine in the mail after an agonizingly long wait. Now its instant access, any time I feel like, to as much P car information as I want.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Porsche Enthusiast

Garage
Dave, you might check out 000 Magazine as I find it indeed does surface new information/photos/documents/etc and is not just a re-hash of the same old Porsche articles. The research is top notch and depth of material rarely surfaces in magazines, or even books. Kudos to the publisher and all the contributor authors/photographers/researchers to each issue of 000.

Plus for two more days, there is a chance to WIN a 1-year 000 Magazine Subscription.
Old 11-29-2017, 11:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieger View Post
Or maybe it is just me having burned out on Porsches.
I'll never burn out on Porsches but I have burned out on Porsche mania.
Old 11-29-2017, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Pano became better than Excellence under Pete Stout... Now that he's moved on, it's no longer as good - it's still better than before the format change, and about on par with Excellence... Both are "OK", the new format is indeed better - too much "from the regions" for me but being a club mag I understand it... These days I get more reading enjoyment from Classic Porsche (UK) and 000, which is where it's at for top notch reading, but it's more a book than a magazine so maybe it's an unfair comparison.

I totally relate to burning out on Porsche mania... I only get 000 (cause it's good) and Excellence ('cause it's cheap) with the occasional Ipad purchase of the others. I ran out of books and magazine space and there really are very few original stories on the topic anymore... I have all Excellence since #1 so I can't quit, but I quit Esses and 356 registry, it's becoming a fire hazard ;-)
Old 11-29-2017, 12:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
aka 'vageen'

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnodgrass View Post
Dave, you might check out 000 Magazine as I find it indeed does surface new information/photos/documents/etc and is not just a re-hash of the same old Porsche articles. The research is top notch and depth of material rarely surfaces in magazines, or even books. Kudos to the publisher and all the contributor authors/photographers/researchers to each issue of 000.

Plus for two more days, there is a chance to WIN a 1-year 000 Magazine Subscription.
Its almost like you know these guys...
Yoosta have: 90 C4 Targa, 87 944, 73 911 ChumpCar endurance racer - featured in May-June & July-Aug 2016 Classic Porsche
Old 11-29-2017, 01:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclebilly View Post
Its almost like you know these guys...

The Parabolica Press 3.0 930 book is nearing its completion.

The book promises to be the best book since the 2.7 book by Parabolica!

Phenomenal book!

Order one while you can! I did and I know my porsche books!

www.parabolicapress.com

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2017, 04:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Twenty plus year PCA member having never been a big fan of Panorama until these great and recent changes in format and content. Beautiful publication with more articles, auto histories, restoration stories and of course the Market! Definitely up there with Excellence and perhaps beyond.
Old 11-30-2017, 04:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: