Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
least common denominator

Airbnb Vs VRBO?

Didn't want to hijack Motion's thread.

My wife and I are middle age quiet couple.
We stayed at a Bed and Breakfast in Parkdale OR. (tiny town halfway between the Columbia river and Mt. Hood) I had never done a BnB but it turned out to be fun and interesting (wife talked me into it).
I/We have done VBRO a couple times, a small house in Avalon, Catalina. A condo in Morro bay. The house in Avalon was tiny and 'rustic' but you get what you pay for and it served it purpose of basic shelter (bed/bathroom/kitchen) we were out exploring all day and just needed a place to sleep.

But I digress,

So what is Airbnb about? Seems like all the stories I hear are about wild, loud, parties. So why would anyone with rental property use Airbnb?
Old 02-24-2018, 10:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I don't know what VBRO is, Scott. Airbnb is rental of a room, or the whole house to someone. The loud parties are the stupid people who rent them and think they can just do what ever they want because they paid for it and own it for the two day or a week they are there. The guys next door rented their house (they went away for the week) to someone who used the house to get ready for a wedding. The fooking party started the minute they got there. I live up in the canyon and its very quiet, so their voice and bounced all over the canyon walls all day and night. One good thing is that I think they had strippers there. Too bad I was not invited. Thankfully they now have a new born and stopped that crap all together.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
not as smart as I think

They are actually one in the same company at this point.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
I don't know what VBRO is, Scott.
Pardon my dyslexia VRBO = vacation rentals by owner.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
A Secret Place

I have my one criteria:

- No sharing. I either rent the whole apartment or house or buenos dias.. The only person I will share an elongated or oval dumper with is my sainted wife.

After that it comes down to location and amenities. Then I compare the place to local Hilton brands - I have been a Hilton Diamond member for years.

If it pencils out (and I price breakfast, wifi, mileage, dealing with the owner, etc. in the equation) I'll do AirBnB. It is closer than you think for Hilton.

There are two AirBnB places in Morganton, NC where my company is that I always use if they are available.

Economics provides information about the world. It does not provide wisdom.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmandue View Post
Pardon my dyslexia VRBO = vacation rentals by owner.
Sorry, my dyslexia didn't see the transverse letters. I just know from Motion's thread its some kind of rental thing maybe similar to air b n b
Old 02-24-2018, 12:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Viegas View Post
They are actually one in the same company at this point.
Not true. They are completely different. VRBO/Homeaway are now both owned by Expedia (not that that's a good thing) I have had our condo on VRBO since 2003. It has worked out well for us.
Old 02-24-2018, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
least common denominator

Quote:
Originally Posted by look 171 View Post
Sorry, my dyslexia didn't see the transverse letters. I just know from Motion's thread its some kind of rental thing maybe similar to air b n b
VROB is pretty cool if you are looking to rent a house or condo, put in the location and it will show you everything available in the area from luxury (see Motions place) to basic bare bones (like the place I rented in Avalon).
Old 02-24-2018, 02:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
not as smart as I think

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Springs View Post
Not true. They are completely different. VRBO/Homeaway are now both owned by Expedia (not that that's a good thing) I have had our condo on VRBO since 2003. It has worked out well for us.
Thanks for the correction. I somehow confused AirBnB with Homeaway I guess.
Old 02-24-2018, 02:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
What the ?

Garage
I've used Airbnb quite a bit especially when traveling as a family of five it is way more cost effective, hotels require two rooms and I'm able to get an Airbnb place that fits all of us for much less. I only rent entire spaces no shared rooms, we traveled all over Europe a couple years ago and thats all we stayed in..London,Paris,Switzerland,Italy,Austria and Ireland. Wife and I stayed in a nice condo in Maui last year right on the shores it was epic.
The only bad experience was in Austin for the race last year, the place was filthy and run down NOT as advertised we stayed one night found a hotel north of town, I contacted the host and Airbnb they refunded my money minus the one night.
9/11/01 FDNY/343 Never Forget!
Old 02-25-2018, 09:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmandue View Post
So what is Airbnb about? Seems like all the stories I hear are about wild, loud, parties. So why would anyone with rental property use Airbnb?
It's called voluntary response bias.

People who are enjoying making lots of money renting their homes out to respectful entities tend to keep quiet about it.

If you always believe the vocal minority, you will also believe that
EVERY kid today is obsessed with their cell phone,
EVERY kid today listens to crappy music,
EVERY kids today does not have a driver's license, etc.

I know people who have rented out their home on AirB&B to at least 50 different people without a single wild, loud, party.
Old 02-25-2018, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: