Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via MSN to sc_rufctr
Something interesting... Cabriolet Wind Deflector

And why I still love Mercedes Benz.

I just happen to see this on a new Mercedes today. Very cool IMO!

How long before the other makers start copying it?

Old 04-27-2018, 01:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The production of those windbreakers was stopped and prohibited. I cannot remember why.

It was called Aircap

Last edited by Holger; 04-27-2018 at 04:57 AM..
Old 04-27-2018, 04:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holger View Post
The production of those windbreakers was stopped and prohibited. I cannot remember why.

It was called Aircap
I can't imagine they meet European pedestrian impact standards. It's also why all new cars have such a high belt line.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 04-27-2018, 05:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Chevy has something like that on their HHR and Cobalt and others to try to kill wind noise when the sun roof is open. It pops up from the front of the sun roof at the top of the windshield. They generally break in the 1st year or sooner.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Rogers View Post
Chevy has something like that on their HHR and Cobalt and others to try to kill wind noise when the sun roof is open. It pops up from the front of the sun roof at the top of the windshield. They generally break in the 1st year or sooner.
MY 1985 300D had that as well.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 04-27-2018, 05:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

MB and Porsche and, I'm sure, many of the other high end manuf have some pretty cool engineering that goes into them. Years ago (early 90s), I was a young kid working at an auto-parts store. Lots of folks would come in asking for their windshield wipers and batteries and headlights to be installed. We didn't have to do it, but we almost always did. I was asked to install the headlight bulb in a fairly new MB, it was probably a 9004 or something like that. It took me a while to figure it out, but once I did, I was very impressed. The process was so easy with no tools required. I think you flipped a level which released the whole headlight assembly to allow you to access the back of the assembly to replace the bulb. It was so much better than just about anything else from the American or Japanese manufacturers from both an engineering and ease of use point of view. I'm sure it cost more to install and manufacture and engineer, but price isn't everything. I was similarly struck by several items on my old '88 targa.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 04-27-2018, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

My wife's BMW 325 CI is quite windy with the top down, as well as when she had the VW Golf Cabrio.....my 04 Mustang GT vert, not so much. I barely get my hair tassled in the Stang.

I wouldn't want one of those deflectors, if the wind is too much, keep the top up, or close all the windows with the top down.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

I suspect there are many, many factors that impact the level of wind in the car, the rake of the windshield, how far in front of your head the top of the windshield is, the sideview mirrors, how far your head is from the side of the windshield, how flush the windshield is to the A-pillars, how high the beltline of the car is, the configuration of the area behind the driver's seat (how far back the back seatbacks are, how deep the rear seating is, the rear seat headrests, etc...), how aerodynamic the car is overall, etc....

In my old miata, I could drive in a fair amount of rain, and as long as I put the side windows up, I kept fairly dry. I believe most vehicles that are open top (cab, targa, T-top) get most of their "wind" from the sides vs the top. I once had my old targa up to 145 with the top off. I put the side windows up. It wasn't that windy in the car (but it was incredibly loud).
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 04-27-2018, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
The solution I've seen in convertibles that made the most sense was a deflector behind the seats just close enough to the seat backs that the wind coming over and around the windshield lands behind the deflector so the passengers are in an air cocoon.
Old 04-27-2018, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
That is the most elaborate deflector I've ever seen.
George, Architect
Old 04-27-2018, 08:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
I can't imagine they meet European pedestrian impact standards. It's also why all new cars have such a high belt line.
If I remember correctly I think it had to do with patents or so ...
Old 04-30-2018, 02:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: