Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Off Topic Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Anyone ever balance their checkbook?

I haven't balanced mine in probably 25-30 years. I was in line at the grocery store today and this lady was friggin balancing her checkbook and writing a check. Instead of taking 15 seconds, it took her 5 minutes to do everything. I'm not in a hurry, so I don't care, but sheesh!!

I just assume that the banks triple-check the calculations so there's no need to do it yourself.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Cars & Coffee Killer

Monthly.

I also balance my credit card statements against my receipts.

"There is freedom in risk, just as there is oppression in security."
Old 06-12-2018, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Taunter of Asshats

Not since 1984. Married a CPA, she won't let me.

#red-beard2020
Old 06-12-2018, 07:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Back in the saddle again

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion View Post
I haven't balanced mine in probably 25-30 years. I was in line at the grocery store today and this lady was friggin balancing her checkbook and writing a check. Instead of taking 15 seconds, it took her 5 minutes to do everything. I'm not in a hurry, so I don't care, but sheesh!!

I just assume that the banks triple-check the calculations so there's no need to do it yourself.
I think that's great assumption 99.99% of the time.

I haven't seen a mistake in many years. It seems the mistake that's most likely is not a math mistake, but a charge mistake.
'08 Boxster RS60 Spyder #0099/1960
- never named a car before, but this is Charlotte.
'88 targa SOLD 2004 - gone but not forgotten
Old 06-12-2018, 07:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Use my banks online bill-pay for almost everything. Credit card for casual purchases.
Three or four personal checks would last me a year.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:42 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by legion View Post
Monthly.

I also balance my credit card statements against my receipts.
Me too, sorta. Cindy a retired bank officer. Let's just say they are both checked...
Old 06-12-2018, 07:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Not in 20+ years but that's because I haven't used checks in that long. Also don't have credit cards so no balancing there. Everything I pay is in cash so really no balancing to be done.

What gets me is the little old ladies that will sit there with their checkbook open for 10 minutes watching the cashier scan all their items and when they get the total, THEN start writing out the check. You couldn't possibly fill in the date, 'pay to the order of', and sign the thing while waiting? And don't forget to write that in the ledger before moving on. It's awkward sitting there waiting for that. And then half the time the cashier just scans the check into the register and then hands it right back to the lady. It's just awkward.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

The lady said "I can't be overdrawn, I still have some checks left."

I haven't written out a check for decades. Me too, online banking or credit cards.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Driver, not Mechanic

Never had to. Got my first checkbook around the time that online banking was being offered.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Balance a check book? People still use checkbooks?

I look at my online balance and pay my bills. If the balance looks off what I thought was in there, I get out some cash and don't pay a bill online or use my ATM card for a week. After a week I check the balance online and start over. I haven't written a paper check or kept a paper ledger in years.

Volvo V60 - Daily Driver (I love it!)
997 Turbo - FVD Exhaust, GIAC Tune - 542 dyno hp on 93 oct
1972 Chevy K-10 Pick-Up Truck Hugger Orange
Old 06-12-2018, 08:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

I haven't balanced for over 50 years. My wife balances every month to the penny.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
I look at my account activity on line. Thats good enough for me. I do still pay some bills with checks but not a lot. I use cash back credit cards to buy everything.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Garage
Every month. They now charge me 1.50 for the privilege of a paper statement each month.
I'm old school....no on line banking for me.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

I just wrote my 10,000 th check last fall, I have never balanced my check book . Thank goodness for online banking
there was this one time ,a log time ago, where I thought I had over 10 k in my account, but checks started bouncing like mad , bounced more than 10 in a few days time . Only checks I ever bounced in my life . Learned to keep a better eye on things after that .
I like to keep a big cushion in my account, just in case
1976 930( peru red usa) ,1980 euro sc, 1974 914. 1997 M3, , 2004 Duramax 3500 quad cab dually . 2004 2500 HD Gas 1989 Yamaha xt 350. 2004 Turbo Pepperwagon, 1976 Chevrolet C 60 Rollback towtruck. 2006 x3 a few old tractors, and tons of tools
Old 06-12-2018, 08:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

I have a lovely spouse that makes this a priority. To the penny.

Me? Not for decades. Don't even have a checkbook.
Old 06-12-2018, 08:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

What’s a “check book”?

But seriously I’m shocked at how many of you all still do this!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2018, 09:11 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
I don't necessarily "balance the checkbook", but do routinely review the bank balances to ensure expenditures/deposits add up correctly. I also validate investment account transactions, credit card statements, utility charges, etc. I have caught (more than once) one of my "suppliers" sneaking in extra charges...
Old 06-12-2018, 09:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Whats that "Check" you all are talking about? And "Credit card"?
Honestly, I havent seen a check for over 20 years. And credit cards are not used much over here, and that is a good thing.
Old 06-12-2018, 11:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Every morning I reconcile my bank account.
05 Jetta GLI
Old 06-13-2018, 03:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
1988 Carrera

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drkshdw View Post
Not in 20+ years but that's because I haven't used checks in that long. Also don't have credit cards so no balancing there. Everything I pay is in cash so really no balancing to be done.

What gets me is the little old ladies that will sit there with their checkbook open for 10 minutes watching the cashier scan all their items and when they get the total, THEN start writing out the check. You couldn't possibly fill in the date, 'pay to the order of', and sign the thing while waiting? And don't forget to write that in the ledger before moving on. It's awkward sitting there waiting for that. And then half the time the cashier just scans the check into the register and then hands it right back to the lady. It's just awkward.
^^^this^^^^
Then theres the lady that watches all the items being scaned then the cashier tells her how much it is, then she takes out here check book. What a shock,she has to pay for this shiet again.
72'914 gone
72' 914 gone too
Old 06-13-2018, 04:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: