Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
83 SC

Garage
Noob small rust removal and paint question

I have a very small area with some, I assume, rust. Area is just at the bottom edge of the front fender near the accordion.

I have painted alot of trim pieces over the years but never on the body of the car.

I have been searching here and reading online about doing this and what I understand is generally this:

I believe my paint, 1983 chiffon white, does not have clear coat. I believe the paint to be original.

I believe the steps then to be:

1) Disassemble body panel
2) sand/remove rust coarse grit
3) treat area with rust inhibitor/converter and dry sand
4) spray several coats of primer and dry sand
5) spray color several coats until it looks about the right thickness
6) wet sand the color with increasingly finer grits up to 2500 grit until it looks good
7) reassemble and done

Am I right that since the cars paint doesn't have clear coat that I do not want to put a clear coat over the color paint?

Any other tips or words of wisdom are appreciated

Old 06-04-2019, 03:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Anybody ?
Old 06-06-2019, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I'm no expert but here is my opinion. I would use a spot sandblaster to remove the rust instead of step 2. There is always some black specs that remain (iron oxide) when you just sand. Not a big fan of rust inhibitor. It always seems to eventually fail. Once sandblasted, spray some epoxy primer on the bare metal and carry on from there.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Thanks. I donít have a sand blaster but Iíll look into renting/buying
Old 06-06-2019, 01:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

ok needless to say you need to take the adjacent panel off to get access at all the rusted area.
screw the rust converter crap the only time i ever use it is when you can't clean the rust down to bare and remove it all. and thats hardly ever.
get a little spot sand blaster they are not very costly and get a bag of blasting media. tractor supply has both at very good prices.
at tractor supply look up SKU # 390784599 for the sand blaster it's about 25 $ and a bag of fine black diamond blasting abrasive for 9$ .
once you have blasted the metal spotlessly clean then spray a coat of epoxy primer over the bare metal area. a chromated primer will be best for this but even a none chromate epoxy will work good.
from there if you have a few rust pits you can skin over the epoxy prime with a light weight body filler to fill the rust pin holes.
next spray a few coats of a filler primer.
sand that and then you can go to your top coats.
you said you wanted to keep the single stage. you can still do a blend with single stage.
the problem is knowing how. even most so called painters don't know how to do a single stage blend . side note the are not painters they are sprayers a painter knows how to do it.
i could walk you through the steps of how to do one but not at this time.
1st do your repair then i can tell you how to do the blend.

Last edited by 962porsche; 06-06-2019 at 01:55 PM..
Old 06-06-2019, 01:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Thanks a lot. Yea I know I need to remove the trim piece and maybe accordion depending on what I find. No problem with that.

My feeling is that there is very little rust. I could be wrong but thatís my gut. Looking behind, inside the wheel well, everything looks ok and that was my main concern because this is an area where one body part bolts to another body part and it would suck to have to weld new metal welded on for the screw/bolt holes

If Iím not confident about the blending/color sanding Iíll reach out. Iím not too anal about this because at almost 40 years old, this original paint isnít all that nice anyway. Tons of stone chips etc.

Iíll let ya know. Thanks again
Old 06-06-2019, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

83 SC

Garage
Regarding the paint to buy, I looked at the last can of paint I bought for painting trim pieces and besides my color code, the only other relevant data on the can was “chromebase BC”. Not sure what that is. Does it mean anything to you? Should I be buying a certain type of paint or avoiding any type?
Old 06-06-2019, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Located a tractor supply near me and and the sand blaster. I see it requires 8CFM@100PSI. Never owned an air compressor and guesss it’s about time I got one. I’m having trouble finding anything under $500 that can handle sand blasting

Any suggestions on an air compressor that will be good for sand blasting and that will be of use in the future driving an air wrench etc please let me know

My quick research on air compressors is leading me to believe I’m gonna need 220 volts to run a strong enough compressor to sand blast. Hopefully this ain’t so cause I don’t have that

Last edited by ramonesfreak; 06-06-2019 at 05:46 PM..
Old 06-06-2019, 05:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

chromabase is dupont's base coat as long as it's still good you can use it.

with air compressors you could get away with a 110 volt .
look at harbor freight site for central pneumatic's 21 Gal. 2.5 HP compressor.
it goes for 160 $ it will give you intermittent use for spray guns and sand blasters.
that means you will have to wait for the air to build back up. this is not a big deal for the size of the job you need to do. i have the same one at our house out on long island. i used the same tractor supply blaster to strip down a bunch of antique hooks the wife picked up to hang flower pots from. then painted them with a mini spray gun it worked fine so it will work fine for your needs too. i was getting about 5 to 10 minutes of work time out of the compressor then i had to wait for 5 minutes for it to build the air presser back up again.
the only thing i don't like is there is no tractor supply out on the island and i'm like a kid in a candy store when i go to tractor supply.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Great info thanks

The paint I have is 4 years old so I’ll be getting a new can

Say hi to LI for me. Long ago I lived in Long Beach
Old 06-07-2019, 04:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
dkbautosports.com

long beach is where our dentist is our house is in dix hills.
it's a old victorian that i have been restoring.

last summer we redid the siding and painted it. we sanded the countless of layers of paint down to find the colors the house was originally and painted it the same as it was. now we are doing the bathrooms.
i go there about 4 days a week and just keep picking away at the jobs that need to be done.
restoring a house is the same as a car once you start something you find other things you didn't see that needs to be repaired too.
Old 06-07-2019, 05:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
83 SC

Garage
Beautiful property. My boss when I was there lived in Dix Hills. Nice area to be. I have an old house too and the projects and costs seem to be endless. And I case anyone thinks Iím lazy, I sealed the driveway at 4am before work today 😬
Old 06-07-2019, 06:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

dkbautosports.com

sealing the driveway at 4 AM that was like me a few weeks ago i was out edging ours at qtr of 6 in the morning.

Old 06-07-2019, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: