Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Need Paint shop or store recomendation

I need to buy some automotive paint in Guards Reds which will be used to paint the bottom (PAN) of my car and inside fender wells. This will not be a concours production but I want the color to match . I will be using a short hair roller to paint the bottom of the pan and fender wells. Space constrictions keep me from using a spray gun. Therefore, if the short hair roller is not adequate please recommend something different.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Paint

Most of the cars I have torn down have been undercoated black and you may want to thing about that direction. Products such as spray on truck bed liner have also been used with great results.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Guards Red Paint

The car already has a nice undercoat present. It was painted Guards Red with the rest of the car but has now faded. I had seen a few people add another coat of paint on top of the red undercoat to spruce things up a bit. I am make a concours car. Therefore I need the undercariage to look great. Basically I need some Guards Red paint that I can apply to the undercariage. I have to be able to ship into CA.
Old 02-16-2009, 09:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Fender wells are body color in 1987, black in the '70s though. Go to a restoration shop in your area with a piece of body painted the Guards Red. Headlight trim ring or gas filler door works. They can mix to match. Tell them you are rolling it on as that may change the way they mix it. The reason for this is that Guards Red is infamous for color variation. My shop has got the matching down for me but when I got the car it was an array of mis-matched Guards Reds.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Wheel well were black until 73.. some are some are not. 74 onward had body color wheel wells. None of the 911 car really had much paint underneath on the pan. However, I like doing that area as well.

Go to an automotive paint supply store in your area.. if you don't know of one ask your local bodyshop who they buy supplies through. They'll gladly tell you.

I would suggest that you use an Acrylic enamel... This way clear is already mixed in. Think you can cover it with two quarts.. and you may want to buy some reducer to stretch the quarts. You will also need a can of prep-solv.

Get the car up on stands and pressure wash the bottom & the wheel wells.. do this before you buy you're materials as you'll be surprised how well the color comes back in the wells once cleaned. Will also help you determine how much work is ahead of you.

After you have cleaned and degreased the wells, wipe them down good with the prep-solv. This removes any wax, silicones, and grease that's left and will help the paint adhere.

I would also suggest that you get yourself a couple of sponges.. they'll be very helpful to have.
RGruppe #180
So many cars.. so little time!!
Old 02-18-2009, 01:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: