Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Miscellaneous and Off Topic Forums > Paint, Bodywork & Detailing Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rattle can primer!

I will be having my car sandblasted in parts, and will be doing the body work in spurts, since time is somewhat limited.To prevent surface rust from manifesting in between work sessions, I was wondering what kind of primer to use, that can be easilly removed for weilding. And if i can get this product in rattle cans.

I was also wondering since I chose satin black as the car color...is the paint still top coated in a clear satin?

Thanks for any help.
Marc

Old 04-12-2011, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Bird. It's the word...

Garage
You want to be using a quality 2k (2 part epoxy/hardner) over the clean metal. This primer is waterproof, so will the protect the metal for a long time - certainly long enough to resore a car. It requires a gun. Rattlecan options are thin...

Any chance you can have all the blasting done at once and then have them lay a 2k epoxy primer over the work for you? This will give you all the time in the world to get to various sections of your restoration at your leisure. You just sand back the epoxy and weld.

Another less desirable option would be to treat the area blasted with a product like Picklex20 between work, but the car would have to be inside and out of the elements.
Old 04-12-2011, 07:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

rattle can primer

there is a true 2K rattle can primer.
it works great but is pricey @$20 a can
it covers about 6 square ft
auto body tool mart sells it.
Spray Max 2K Epoxy Rust Cure Primer - 3680032
Old 04-14-2011, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I uesd an R-M product. It's a etching primer and holds up very well. Compatible with everything I put over it....High build primer, mostly.

TouchupSprayPaint.com : R-M® Aero-Max™ Prime Etch 11.6 oz., Primers, AM700
Old 04-15-2011, 08:49 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Just take a rag and put a thin layer of automatic trans fluid over the metal. Will last six months or more. Clean off with lacquer thinner before primer.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
That's funny. Haven't heard that in years
That how the old timers did it

My dad did that on every rest
Never had an issue

But spent a full day scrubbing with
Shampoo before prep
Old 04-22-2011, 03:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Preval Spray Gun

Go down to a Sherwin-Williams paint store and pick up a Preval Spray Gun, which is a new product for those of us who don't have the heavy spray equipment to lay down coatings.

The Preval system is a propellant driven system that comes with its own bottle dispenser.

You simply mix up your 2K paints and then use the Preval to apply them. The purchased system has enough propellant to lay down 16 oz of paint. Each Preval kit is only about $6, so it is cheaper than buying rattle can sprays. And, the kit has a cap to seal up any unused paint in the bottle that is supplied with the kit (can store paint that has not been mixed with a catalyst).
Old 05-19-2011, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KID914 View Post
I will be having my car sandblasted in parts, and will be doing the body work in spurts, since time is somewhat limited.To prevent surface rust from manifesting in between work sessions, I was wondering what kind of primer to use, that can be easilly removed for weilding. And if i can get this product in rattle cans.

I was also wondering since I chose satin black as the car color...is the paint still top coated in a clear satin?

Thanks for any help.
Marc
automotive epoxy. industry standard. I use PPG DPLF epoxy. invest in a cheapie spray gun and apply IMMEDIATELY after blasting. and don't be afraid to tighten your spray pattern and really squirt it into cracks and crevices. I keep a brush handy to work it into tight areas. also, I mask the floor and hose the epoxy on/in until it's dripping on the floor.

ps. blow the h*ll out of all areas before priming. epoxied sand looks tacky.

Last edited by haycait911; 05-31-2011 at 10:31 PM..
Old 05-31-2011, 10:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to irl
Grainger makes a great 2 part epoxy primer. in a rattle can Has a release pin in the bottom of can that mixes the activator and paint and it must be used at one time once activated. Ordered cans online through their site and they came in 2 days.

Also picklex 20 is pretty awesome if the car is in a garage.
71 911T running sweet
63 356 outlaw frustrating purists
Old 06-14-2011, 08:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
OR use either BOESHIELD T9 or GIBBS BRAND

Old 07-22-2011, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: